autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My 1959 Cadillac 4-Door Convertible Boat Puller

Mike, I have to ask about the Z-28 in the first pic behind the boat and caddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Nice story! And fun to have old pictures of the cars you have owned. Awesome with a 4doors cabriolet

/Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I knew they were 44's when I saw the picture. I mounted and ummmm...balanced?? quite a few of those in my day.
    Is that what did your back in?

Mike Phillips

Those are super swampers? Can't see them very good but I thought they were 18-44-15 Monster Mudders.

I knew they were 44's when I saw the picture.
    I could be wrong on the name, I'd have to go up to Interco and look up the tread design to be sure, I thought they were called Super Swampers. This would be back in the early 1980s.

When 40" tall tires were first introduced, my friend Eric was the first guy in town to have a set and back then, that was real bragging rights. I was the second guy. Eric went nuts and built an even bigger truck, (the one with the road grader tires in the picture), and never messed with the smaller tires again. He still owns that huge truck to this day.

When 44" came out I was the first guy in my home town to get them. After wearing out the first set I purchased a second set and that's the set you see on the truck when I took the picture of it on the beach. Those are 16.5" rims too, not 15" I think the 10.5 inch wide. Super hard to find now days.

That look was so much cooler than what they do today with the 22 and 24" wheels IMO.

I agree.

I recently sold my 1987 with the 40" Toyos. While I liked the truck I don't like trucks this new. It's 31 years old as I type and I much prefer Chevy trucks from the late 1960's through the 1970s. The Silverado in the picture below had TBI or Throttle Body Injection. It was the first fuel injected truck I have ever owned. All previous trucks had carburetors and HEI ignition systems and that is my preference. As soon as you go fuel injection... EVERYTHING about the truck gets more complicated. I like my trucks simple.

The requirements are, I have to be able to pull into Autozone, buy any part off the shelf and bolt in on in the parking lot. Can't do that when the fuel pump is located in the gas tank. So no more complicated systems for this guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Is that what did your back in?
    I'm sure it had a lot to do with it. Back then there weren't lifting procedures, etc. and of course being a 20 something male full of testosterone you had to show that you could do them by yourself. Those things are pushing about 150 a corner, which isn't that bad, really awkward to pick up.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I could be wrong on the name, I'd have to go up to Interco and look up the tread design to be sure, I thought they were called Super Swampers. This would be back in the early 1980s.

When 40" tall tires were first introduced, my friend Eric was the first guy in town to have a set and back then, that was real bragging rights. I was the second guy. Eric went nuts and built an even bigger truck, (the one with the road grader tires in the picture), and never messed with the smaller tires again. He still owns that huge truck to this day.

When 44" came out I was the first guy in my home town to get them. After wearing out the first set I purchased a second set and that's the set you see on the truck when I took the picture of it on the beach. Those are 16.5" rims too, not 15" I think the 10.5 inch wide. Super hard to find now days.

I agree.

I recently sold my 1987 with the 40" Toyos. While I liked the truck I don't like trucks this new. It's 31 years old as I type and I much prefer Chevy trucks from the late 1960's through the 1970s. The Silverado in the picture below had TBI or Throttle Body Injection. It was the first fuel injected truck I have ever owned. All previous trucks had carburetors and HEI ignition systems and that is my preference. As soon as you go fuel injection... EVERYTHING about the truck gets more complicated. I like my trucks simple.

The requirements are, I have to be able to pull into Autozone, buy any part off the shelf and bolt in on in the parking lot. Can't do that when the fuel pump is located in the gas tank. So no more complicated systems for this guy.

If they are Interco they would be super swampers. I believe Interco did end up buying out the company that made Monster Mudders and Ground Hawgs (I believe that was the spelling)

I couldn't agree more with wrenching on the older cars. A 12 pack and a few tools and we could fix most things. One of my neighbor's has a '70 Chevelle, same car I had in high school, he's using it for a daily driver. It's got just a little bit if rust but he's just letting it continue. I've been trying to get him to sell it me for years now. Really wanted to make it a project car with my younger son. We still do what we can on the newer vehicles but I would sure love to show him how it was when I was growing up.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post

Mike, I have to ask about the Z-28 in the first pic behind the boat and caddy.

That was my girlfriend's car at the time.

The car was cool and so was she.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12