autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Gloss coat lacks sheeting beading

I would drop the instant detailer with gl ossified. What you're seeing is the water behavior on that product. Wash it with reset, or a soap made for coatings. If you want to use a quick Detailer I would go with McKee's 914, ONR or something else that won't leave anything behind diluted to QD ratio.
    I did a neighbor's vehicle with gloss coat and washed only with McKee's Sio2 wash and it performed perfectly for 2 years.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I noticed you are in Illinois and if it’s anything there like it is here in Ohio you are experiencing a lot of spring time and high amounts of pollen. Pollen is a nasty little bugger and will cling to surfaces and effect the appearance or lack of appearance of protection. It is also very hard of waxes and sealants and I am guessing on freshly applied coatings as well.

Try washing the vehicle and drying it. Then spray it with a hose once it’s clean to see what it looks like. You should see water beading much better. If that’s the case I would say you are dealing with pollen and road film.

Post Thanks / Like

You know that coatings should not be exposed to water for 7 days after application, right? When you were done applying Gloss Coat, you should have appied Opti Seal or an other sealant on top to protect the coating during the cure period. I am not sure what the effects of having rain on the coating after only 2 days are, but I am sure it's not good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    You know that coatings should not be exposed to water for 7 days after application, right? When you were done applying Gloss Coat, you should have appied Opti Seal or an other sealant on top to protect the coating during the cure period. I am not sure what the effects of having rain on the coating after only 2 days are, but I am sure it's not good.
    Exactly the reasons I am not into coatings. #JMO.......
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Optimum says the coating is cured in 1 hr and can be driven in rain but not to wash for 7 days. I am going to wash with reset and wipe down with the optimum paint prep to remove and residue waxes from the meguiars wash I was using. The da6 before all the rain this week there was a green dusting of pollen on the paint

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

9. Likes fly07sti, Payton34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I've been reading this is similar to most coatings. The initial "dry" period typically up to 24 hours while the "don't wash" period is a week.

I concurr with Troy regarding the pollen. I too live in Illinois and the pollen has been pretty feirce for a few weeks now, but tapering off at last. The pollen will quickly kill the beading/sheeting of any LSP, but always comes back with a good wash.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

11. Likes Payton34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That 7 days is the cure period. The 1 hour to 24 hour is the dry period... these are two different things completelly. While the coating is curing, it is vulnerable. That is why Optimum recommends applying Opti-seal on top of the coating. This way if the car gets wet the coating is not exposed to water.

If you did that, then no worry. When you wash the car all the features of Gloss Coat should return. Remember that dirt or contaminants on the paint will prevent beading and sheeting to some degree. Once the car has been washed you will know if the coating is doing it's job or not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12