autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need help with odor in car

Hi,
    I just bought an 2016 Audi A6 prestige for my personal vehicle and have been detailing for over 20 years, used to be a job but now just a hobby on my personal vehicles. Anyways the car is flawless except for one thing. I noticed a maple syrup smell in the trunk of the vehicle when it was delivered. I opened up the area where the spare is and there was about 20 droplets of maple syrup spilled in the wheel well where the spare is. I immediately removed everything, sprayed a product called odor sniper from my pro detail salesman that I still buy things from and then went over the entire area with a citrus carpet cleaner that I used to use that would remove any odor that I have come across. This odor will not go away. I have done the carpet in the trunk also. I can smell it strongly in the trunk and faintly in the cabin of the vehicle. Does anyone have any advice on how to get this maple syrup smell out of my car?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help with odor in car

I guess the odor could be worse, right?
    Try CarPro So2Pure.

3. Likes DaveT435 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Remove and replace any carpet or fabric material.

5. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not the answer I was looking for lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Tailgating/Fund Raiser, featuring:
    “All you can eat Pancake Breakfast”?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I could always just sell it to someone who loves Waffle House. This syrup odor is the most stubborn odor I have ever run across. I have scrubbed the #### out of every piece of fabric on this car, the spare tire, the tools, metal in the wheel well and it still smells like Waffle House. Anyone have any other advice? Would a odor bomb kill it? Should I just pour gasoline on the car and do an insurance claim?

Post Thanks / Like

After doing some poking around on the internet, it's quite possible your dealing with some kind of urine. Perhaps of a rodent that lived in the vehicle for a while. In my reading, if certain amino acids cannot be broken down properly they can make urine smell like maple syrup.

IMO you have two choices:

a.) Give CarPro So2purre a shot: CarPro So2Pure Air Purifying Coating 120 ml.
    I've had very good luck with this on two customer vehicles. Customer vehicle one was pre-owned by a heavy smoker. Customer Vehicle #2 was taking her dying cat to the vet and the cat urinated on the back seat. After the full interior details, we checked back six months later, and both reported there was no odor present.

b). If Option "a" does not work, as Mike Phillips suggested, replace the carpeting with a carpet kit. They're fairly inexpensive, and given you used to detail you may even have a "buddy" in the biz that can help or do the install for you. Most kits come pre-cut and pre-formed for your vehicle. They're just a PIA and time consuming getting them in.

Good luck and please report back to this thread and let us know what you did! It's always good to hear of suggestions given worked out.

11. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Try Megs D116 Protein stain remover. The enzymes in it should help break down organic protein stains like urine and food, which is exactly what it's formulated for. My wife once used my new car while I was on vacation and spilled coffee on the passenger side floor mat. The fabric one, since the car was a week old, and my WeatherTech mats had not yet arrived. When I got home the car smelled like a cat peed on the outside air intake grille, which I once had happen to a (thankfully) rental car. She was terrified to admit she did it. I thanked her for "christening" it, and cleaned it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DTruck View Post
    I guess the odor could be worse, right?
    Try CarPro So2Pure.
    This stuff works great.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Try putting a small pet in the area. If the smell is concentrated in one location, an animal would be sure to sniff the area. Cats sniff & use their sense of smell very well. It's an odd sugestion, but it might work.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast