autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Survivor - 1957 Mercury Stationwagon - Future Glass Polishing Project

Survivor - 1957 Mercury Stationwagon - Future Glass Polishing Project

This car was salvaged out of a forest where it was rotting away. The current owner Rudy has rebuilt the engine, transmission as well as the rest of the drivetrain but has chose to leave the exterior with in it's current condition.

Mercury only built this single headlight model for 6 months and then updated the look to a dual headlight model. As such, Rudy says he's never seen another 1957 like his and has a really difficult time finding parts for this exact year and make.

The windshield has a LOT of scratches in it and Rudy not only wants to keep the original windshield but the chances of finding and OEM replacement are probably zero. As such, we've discussed the other option and that is to machine polish the glass back to perfection for a future project.

1957 Mercury Commuter Stationwagon

A new, secondary fresh air intake for the engine compartment has presented itself!

The glass looks good in the picture but that's because it was cloudy outside - I'll document the true condition in the future.

Stay tuned...

2. Likes JKDesign, Diner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Survivor - 1957 Mercury Stationwagon - Future Glass Polishing Project

That’s the stuff I like to work on!!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dereksdtail View Post

That’s the stuff I like to work on!!

Me too. My favorite type of detailing is Beater Detailing.

That said, Rudy does not want to polish the paint at all on this car and I agree. It would completely ruin the presentation of the car.

But the glass is a safety issue. He uses this car as a daily driver and I sat in it and looked through the windshield and it definitely needs a thorough polishing to remove decades of scratches.

5. Likes Dereksdtail liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do love tearing up some pads on that stuff though, a lot of the ones I do are for resale, the look of that for a daily driver is pretty cool

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

They're only original once. Cool find, and plucks my heart strings, bigtime. Something about wagons brings back memories of road trips in our 1971 Plymouth Fury II. My wife absolutely hates wagons. Bad news for her...We WILL own one some day!
    True story- I once hand rubbed and waxed the Burnished Red metallic Plymouth. I dragged my dad outside to show him the fruits of my labor, and he said "Why did you bother?" Because if I'm a teenager stuck with driving a wagon, I at least want it to be a shiny one!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, will you be taking the glass out to work on it or are you doing it in place? What products are you thinking of using?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Nice, will you be taking the glass out to work on it or are you doing it in place? What products are you thinking of using?

Definitely leave it in place.

That's kind of the idea behind polishing it to fix it versus replacing it to fix it. If we were to remove it to fix it then we would have to locate a new OEM gasket and if the owner were to go that far might as will try to find a OEM windshield. Finding both of these items might be like finding hen's teeth.

Waiting for the rain to break and for "timing" this guy lives down around Fort Lauderdale and we will want him to drop it off so he'll do it when he can also get someone to follow him here to take him home.

Logistics.