autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is my tap water PH too high to get a ceramic coating ?

Hi,

My question is that I was thinking of getting a ceramic coating and am wondering if my tap water will strip it. I have read that high alkalinity can strip the coating. The problem I have is that the area I live in has high alkalinity water. The PH is 8.4. Neutral water is PH of 7.0. To use a PH neutral soap is useless if the soap is added to high alkalinity water.

I have read that ceramic coatings can handle somewhat acidic water but not high alkalinity. Would 8.4 be too high to wash the car with ? I could use PH neutral distilled water but it would be major pain and cost to get enough water to do the job.

My hope is that if the water is not in contact for a long time with the coating all will be okay.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is my tap water PH too high to get a ceramic coating ?

A pH of 8.4 is within the normal range for tap water (which is 6-8.5). You will be fine with your pH-neutral soap, and with a coating. Please remember that the pH range goes up to 14; 8.4 would be considered mildly alkaline. Most car wash soaps are in the pH 9 range.

3. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    A pH of 8.4 is within the normal range for tap water (which is 6-8.5). You will be fine with your pH-neutral soap, and with a coating. Please remember that the pH range goes up to 14; 8.4 would be considered mildly alkaline. Most car wash soaps are in the pH 9 range.
    Good answer. In fact, water with a pH or 8.4 is effectively neutral. It has no molarity nor is it buffered. Drink that water, bathe in it, do whatever you want with it, it's not going to hurt anything. I'd be far more worried about hard water spots.

5. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by steviekm3 View Post

Hi,

My question is that I was thinking of getting a ceramic coating and am wondering if my tap water will strip it.

It would be the least of my worries.

What are you working on?

And welcome to AGO!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    It would be the least of my worries.

What are you working on?

And welcome to AGO!

Thanks for the welcome ! I just bought a new Yukon with denali trim.

It is crimson red and I want to have it looking great for a long time.

Any ideas are appreciated, maybe don't do the coating ? The low maintenance was the sellng point for me.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by steviekm3 View Post

Thanks for the welcome ! I just bought a new Yukon with denali trim.

It is crimson red and I want to have it looking great for a long time.

Any ideas are appreciated, maybe don't do the coating ? The low maintenance was the sellng point for me.

Coatings easily outlast traditional car waxes and synthetic paint sealants BUT you still have to wash the vehicle and keep the surface clean and do so in a way that doesn't scratch the finish. This means you cannot take the Yukon to a automatic car wash or even a 100% hand car wash.

The best approach is to get all the proper gear and take ownership of the car wash process yourself.

I keep my wife's car coated and typically use a one-step cleaner/wax on my rig. Her car washes fast, dries fast and the paint always looks glassy!

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely put a coating on it. If you’ve never done it before there are plenty of “user-friendly” coatings to start out with. Lots of help here on this forum... welcome!

​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

10. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coatings easily outlast traditional car waxes and synthetic paint sealants BUT you still have to wash the vehicle and keep the surface clean and do so in a way that doesn't scratch the finish. This means you cannot take the Yukon to a automatic car wash or even a 100% hand car wash.

The best approach is to get all the proper gear and take ownership of the car wash process yourself.

I keep my wife's car coated and typically use a one-step cleaner/wax on my rig. Her car washes fast, dries fast and the paint always looks glassy!

Hi Mike you say 100% Hand Car Wash - please can you explain, must be missing something thought 100% hand wash was the way to go.

Thanks

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes that is my plan. We also have 3 year old car and it looks like crap after going to car wash constantly.

Am starting hand wash it as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeteT19640 View Post
    Hi Mike you say 100% Hand Car Wash - please can you explain, must be missing something thought 100% hand wash was the way to go.
    Not to speak for Mike, but I believe what he meant is a commercial "100% hand car wash", because of their use of dirty wash buckes, dirty wash media, dirty drying media, etc.

14. Likes osiapstndp liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast