autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Uber Compound

Is Wolfgang Uber Compound too abrasive for 2015 Corvette with clean finish? I am trying to remove ALMOST invisible scratches. Griots Machine 4 did not remove them to my satisfaction. However I Don't want to use anything too abrasive. Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang Uber Compound

Uber Compound is pretty aggressive. With it and a yellow lake Country pad on my flex 3401, I can remove 2000 grit scratches. I would try total swirl remover and an orange or white pad.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks !!

4. Thanks atgonzales thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wofgang Uber is a little more aggressive than Wolfgang TSR, but if you're not getting RIDS, or sleeks out of the finish with a more gentle product, (like WG TSR) then Uber might be the one I'd be reaching for.

I've used it on my '97 Tahoe with a White LC Flat Pad with great results, and I'd suspect the Vette has similarly hard paint as well.

Uber with a finishing pad will finish down very nicely.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Spowell637 View Post

Is Wolfgang Uber Compound too abrasive for 2015 Corvette with clean finish?
    I'd say no.

Uber Compound uses an engineered abrasive, if you feel some between your fingers you actually cannot feel anything, at least you don't feel grit like the average person thinks they will feel when they feel a traditional compound.

It offers great cutting but also finishes down like a polish. Good stuff.

I am trying to remove ALMOST invisible scratches.
    What kind of tool and pad are you using?

Griots Machine 4 did not remove them to my satisfaction. However I Don't want to use anything too abrasive.
    I forget the order of the "old" Griot's #1, #2, #3 and #4 polishes, I know they went from fine polish to aggressive compound. I also think these product have been discontinued or replaced with more modern abrasive technology. If you don't already, take the chance and get the Wolfgang Uber Compound. Its a great compound and a VERY safe compound and there's no satisfaction like getting perfect results the FIRST TIME when working on anything that is important to you.

Check out my article here for more info...

The Wolfgang Four

Here are four products that will take care of about 99.9% of any exterior paint correction product you'll ever have in your garage.

The Wolfgang Four

Post Thanks / Like

I'd try that new mckees polish that used to be a compound but they downgraded it. Supposed to be very safe product

Post Thanks / Like

If I were to use TSR with LC white pads (rather than orange) to remove medium/light swirls, would it still be necessary to come back with Finishing Glaze (finishing polish) prior to LSP, or does TSR finish off well enough for an average AGers liking?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    If I were to use TSR with LC white pads (rather than orange) to remove medium/light swirls, would it still be necessary to come back with Finishing Glaze (finishing polish) prior to LSP, or does TSR finish off well enough for an average AGers liking?
    I'd say TSR will finish down LSP ready very nicely with the LC White Pads. So nicely that I'd guess on average or hard paints you might not see a shred of difference following with the Finishing Glaze. TSR is that good! It is my default go to, and always in my arsenal.

Maybe only with some very soft paints, or Black would you have to resort to following up with the Finishing Glaze.

10. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The "old Griot's" compounds were numbered by step, with the most aggressive being Machine Polish 1. I'd expect the number 4 to be useless for defect removal. It's more like a jewelling compound. As Mike always says, start with the least aggressive method. If the scratches are indeed almost invisible, the TSR should be more than adequate, but only a test spot and good lighting will tell you what you need.