autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Body Filler option (over Eastwood Rust Encapsulator) on my trusty 88 Landcruiser

OK so i realize that iH8mud forum exists as well as other sites for my various jalopies....but perhaps someone can share their knowledge about the steps way before detailing ....

I have a '88 Landcruiser - just a few spots of rust where I have wire brushed, sanded, alcohol wiped and then treated front and back (in hole using spray tube snake) with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator.

This area is the rear roof corner above the drip rail.

So now what ?
    (1) which filler ?
    (2) Prep step hints ? (especially considering i used this Encapsulator)

Body Filler option (over Eastwood Rust Encapsulator) on my trusty 88 Landcruiser-img_2226-jpg

Cheers! Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Body Filler option (over Eastwood Rust Encapsulator) on my trusty 88 Landcruiser

It is difficult to tell how large the spot is from the picture, but if it was my car i would weld in a patch panel

If that is not an option, make sure to use a fiberglass infused filler, itwill hold up better over time

I have no experience with that eastwood product, but from your picture i would atleast grind all the rust out

It really depends on how much you like the vehicle, and your intended use

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Body Filler option (over Eastwood Rust Encapsulator) on my trusty 88 Landcruiser

I can't really tell what I'm looking at. Is that a hole in the steel? It looks like it but then I see rust in that area. I've done some auto body years ago when I lived in Michigan so there was definitely rust involved.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the photo - i edited it again to brighten it up a bit - attached - it is the right rear upper corner of my Landcruiser drip rail

This is just a first attempt to get the rust halted a bit (like i said, wire brushed, cleaned and then coated with the Eastwood Encapsulator)

It was wired brushed to bare metal, then lightly rusted overnight, then sprayed. I can go at it again at grind those edges out and enlarge the hole - and bottom line is that I was looking for advice on patching over that Eastwood product or any so called rust encapsulator i guess.....

Ultimately I really just want to get it ready for sale, rust "taken care of" temporarily and NOT hidden so that the buyer knows exactly where it is and what it looks like now (via these photos) as well as how it looks patched up.

Thinking it's helpful so that it doesn't demand immediate attention from the new owner and they know the real scoop on the condition.

Body Filler option (over Eastwood Rust Encapsulator) on my trusty 88 Landcruiser-img_2226edit-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Strong66 View Post
    It is difficult to tell how large the spot is from the picture, but if it was my car i would weld in a patch panel

If that is not an option, make sure to use a fiberglass infused filler, itwill hold up better over time

I have no experience with that eastwood product, but from your picture i would atleast grind all the rust out

It really depends on how much you like the vehicle, and your intended use

Post Thanks / Like

East wood is good, as is KBS Rust seal
    I like the kbs better
    Need to prep it well to last

Post Thanks / Like

You said you wire brushed all the rust out. I still see rust though, it's covered up but there. You'll need a grinder to get it off, a wire brush isn't going to do it. I'm not framiliar with the Eastwood product either. You're going to need to grind all the rust out. Then use a DA to remove the paint from around the immediate area. You'll want to end up with about 1/2" of each layer of paint showing. If you're going to use a filler get the fiberglass reinforced filler. The brand we used to use was Tiger Hair, that was back in the 80's though. The filler needs an 80 grit scratch in the steel to hold on. Use metal prep before you use the filler. Get the filler very close to the surface of the outer panel. I would leave it a little bit below the surface and after it hardens use plastic filler (bondo) on top of it. You'll want to have a grader to use to shave down any excess bondo before it hardens all the way. Sand down the bondo til it's level with the outer panel. Prime the area, sand it then you can try to blend the paint and finish. It's a lot if work and a lot easier with some specialty tools. Also as Strong66 said welding a patch an the outer panel after taking care of the rust on the inner panel then finishing with bondo etc would be the best method of repair.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Body filler?

IMO:
    Good ol’ Bondo should fill-the-bill.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much - I'm going to locate someone local (LA) who is able to weld in the patch sheet. (and of course open that up to proper size and clean edges etc, and do a better fix on the interior roof panel)

Something I have always wondered though....on a patch panel for this exterior surface - how in the world does anyone prep the BACKSIDE of a patch panel that gets welded in?

No matter what, without access to the back side after welding, any primer or coating is going to burn off in the weld process leaving bare metal.

9. Likes DaveT435 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You would need to spray the back side of the metal with a weld through primer, it has a lot zinc in it that will become a liquid and flow over the weld surface, the heat from the weld lets it flow.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

aha. thank you - starting to understand.