autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SOAP WITH WAX Built In: What's the Deal With That?

Hydrofoam is excellent at leaving legitimate protection behind. Also Stoner coating wash leaves pretty good/noticeable protection behind as well.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: SOAP WITH WAX Built In / Avoid when polish to be used?

What about if a polish finish is desired to be put on?

Must a waxy wash soap be avoided, because wax would prevent proper adhesion of the polish?

Post Thanks / Like

If you are planning on waxing anyway, the wax in a soap/shampoo would not affect bonding. If you are using something like Hydro2, the wax component can cause streaking. I’ve quit using any soaps with any type of additives as I mainly coat my vehicles and the wax in the soap interferes with the performance of the coating. CarPro Reset is my go to soap.

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped using wash/wax products when I moved to coatings, but when I was still using sealants I really liked McKee's 37 Powerwash and the old Blackfire product that had their sealant mixed in (I can't remember what it was called)

The McKee's Powerwash was the better soap over all with good cleaning and respectable lubricity. What I really liked about it was the the carnauba-like gloss it left on black paint. I also had few/no water spotting issues with it and never felt a need to do any type of shine booster. The soap did it for me. The old Blackfire product wasn't as good of a shampoo by any measurement, but it left a nice shiny sealant-like look behind that really made lighter metallic colors pop.

I wouldn't use that type of product if I was interested in adding protection, but I did see it left a nice smooth finish and a slight boost in gloss/shine.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

IMO it’s nowhere near the level of Reset.
    Meguiars Gold Class is better.

Post Thanks / Like

As I’m always using sealants/waxes as lsp’s and spray waxes every other wash, I do like the brand specific washes to complement the lsp or spray topper. I agree it doesn’t really add protection, but I do “think” it leaves behind a bit of gloss, similar to a QD, so the car looks nice after the wash. With that said, paying the extra $$$ to have all these different car shampoos is something that may not be my priority once I run out of my current shampoo selection (which will last years anyways) probably opting for a cleaning-only wash like Hyper Wash and just using QD as drying aid for the extra short term shine.

Post Thanks / Like

I should also note that this weekend I washed one of my cars with a traditional wash, it seemed like a PITA after a winter full of Rinseless washes. I tried to keep the washed parts wet while washing other parts, but still ended up with water spots (although it was cloudy when I started but the sun came out soon after). Still ended up with water spots and instead of using one large waffle weave to dry it took 3. I think I will stick with Rinseless washes most the time, and only traditional 2 bucket during the rare occasion where the car gets moderately dirty during the 6 or so days between washes.

Post Thanks / Like

Wash and wax products appeal to me because i can put some protection to areas i don’t usually put protection on. Like wheel wells and door jambs. Right now, i am using onrww. The finish is not as slick as i want to be. But it imparts a nice shine. I actually don’t see a difference in shine even after my once a month waxing sessions. So i tend to believe onrww has real wax on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12