autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Griots BOSS system products with 6 inch DA

Hello. I have a black 2013 BMW that I will detail starting Friday. Car has swirl marks everywhere. I have a GG 6 inch DA and the 15 inch DA. I have all the BOSS system products and pads.. I have not detailed a car for 20 years. I was thinking using the 6 inch with the BOSS products and pads. I know the BOSS system was designed to be used with the G15. I have two questions: will the 6 inch DA work OK? Is the G15 user friendly enough to use for first time? My thought process is the smaller DA will be easier and less prone to mistakes on my part. Your thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots BOSS system products with 6 inch DA

Either one will be fine. Use the 6" in the curvier areas, and the 15 on the larger, flatter surfaces. Very little learning curve on the 15, and it will cut faster. Use the fast correcting cream if you have lots of correction to do. It cuts good, and even finishes pretty good.

Bill

3. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FRANK21 View Post

Hello. I have a black 2013 BMW that I will detail starting Friday.

Car has swirl marks everywhere.

I have a GG 6 inch DA and the 15 inch DA. I have all the BOSS system products and pads.. I have not detailed a car for 20 years. I was thinking using the 6 inch with the BOSS products and pads. I know the BOSS system was designed to be used with the G15.

I have two questions:

1: Will the 6 inch DA work OK?

2: Is the G15 user friendly enough to use for first time?

My thought process is the smaller DA will be easier and less prone to mistakes on my part.

Your thoughts

Hi Frank,

Hope you don't mind, I quoted you and then broke you chunk of text into something with some white space in=between sentences and the separated out your questions so it's easier for at least me to read.

Now let me take a stab at your questions...

I have two questions:

1: Will the 6 inch DA work OK?
    YES. Actually, short stroke polishes are a lot easier for beginners to get great results as there's less chance for pad stalling since the shorter stroke means the pad will have less leverage over the spinning counterweight.

So by all means YES!

And the Griot's BOSS pads and products work GREAT with their 6" ROP.

2: Is the G15 user friendly enough to use for first time?
    Yes - VERY user friendly. This 15mm long stroke polisher is VERY well built. You could drive nails through wood with it and it won't break. It also does a very good job of maintaining pad rotation, which is the downside of long stroke polishers.

So for flat panels, go for it. For curved panels or tight areas, try it and if you're not having good luck switch to the short stroke polisher.

Both tools are free spinning orbitals so pad rotation will always be an issue just like it is for ANY free spinning orbital. This is also why I almost always knock out all of my projects with gear-driven orbitals, I don't have the time pad stalling.

Also note, you can get a 3" backing plate for the 6" ROP and use 3.5" BOSS pads.

If you need help finding the links to these items reply back and I'll get them for you. I also have articles on all of this stuff and I tend to find my own articles by typing a few key words for the tools, pads or products I'm looking for and then add my name Mike Phillips and usually I find what I'm looking for.

5. Likes Diner liked this post
    Mike Phillips

This is one of the most information dense articles I've written for people just starting out machine polishing.

Click the link, watch the video, the techniques and info shared in this one video can and do and will apply to just about ANY orbital polisher on the planet. PLUS lots of other info...

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

7. Thanks Diner thanked for this post