autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

How to remove medium oxidation?

How to remove medium oxidation?

Anytime I get questions via e-mail, a PM or a FB message I prefer to invest my typing time where,

A: It's easier for me to share links, pictures and videos.

B: More people can read and thus benefit from the information. (no just one set of eyeballs)

The reality is, most people that contact me found me via an article I've written or a reply I've written on this forum. The thing is, instead of figuring out that the whole reason they are contacting me is because they found me via an article or answer I wrote on the forum that they to should bring their question to the forum because not only will that help them.... but it will help a future "them". If I answer everything in a private e-mail or other touch point, no one would find and contact me. It's a cycle or pattern that repeats as long as everything is shared in the public domain.

The above is kind of wordy but re-read it slowly and it will make sense.

So I get an e-mail asking,

Hi Mike,

I have some medium oxidation on my car, I tried Nufinish and some other compounds and it didn’t seem to work.

I was just about to try wet sanding then I saw your web site, do you have any recommendations to help.

Thank you,

Mike

Great questions Mike...

I've been answering this question for probably 20+ years. Often, the person asking the question is working on a car with clearcoat failure, not oxidatioin and NOTHING you pour out of a bottle, (Nu-Finish), or NOTHING you scoop out of a can, (compound), will fix clearcoat failure.

So a couple of questions...

Is the "oxidation" on the horizontal surfaces? Or over the entire car? If it's only affecting the horizontal surfaces that's a sign of clearcoat failure as the sun beats down on these surfaces as well as inclement weather takes it's toll. (water is a universal solvent).

Click this link and look at some of the pictures? Does the paint on your car look like any of the pictures?

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive

Besides that, Nu-Finish is an in-expensive one-step cleaner/wax. (I type a lot about cleaner/waxes on this forum and also teach how to use them in all my classes, good cleaner/waxes are GREAT but cheap once are useless).

Also - cheap compounds cause more damage than great compounds. On this forum, I type and type and type about two words to try to educate everyone that the MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR when it comes to working on car paint is the

Abrasive Technology

So what are you using?

I've sent you the link to this thread via a reply to your e-mail. I appreciate e-mails but I don't have the typing time to type out detailed answers in e-mail. I make the time to type out detailed answers on this forum where hundreds, thousands and even tens of thousands of eyeballs can see the info into the future. I never type for the moment only the future.

You can reply back via e-mail and I'm happy to answer you both via e-mail and on this forum.

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: How to remove medium oxidation?

Also....

One of the most information articles I think I've ever written is this one,

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

Click the link above, look at the pictures and take my experienced advice - don't wetsand the factory finish on a car. Especially when it's already showing signs of oxidation/clearcoat failure. This is the perfect recipe for the need for a new paint job.

4. Likes jmax2014 liked this post