autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

The Riddler - 1958 Dodge Sweptline Kustom Pickup

The Riddler - 1958 Dodge Sweptline Kustom Pickup

1958 Dodge Sweptline

This belongs to my good friend Luc. Luc collects Mopars, all sorts, mostly with huge freakin engines! This one is unique in his collection however. I don't know the backstory yet but I'll get it and share it. For now, here's some pictures I took a few minutes ago when by buddy Paul Grasso dropped it off. I was hoping to use this truck for the upcoming May 3-Day Detailing Class but I'm not sure yet... but I'll make the decision later. Until then, check it out...

The paint has candy tones and metallic flakes. The flames appear to be under the clear but the pin striping outlining the flames is on top of the clearcoat, this will make it very challenging to buff out.

This is one of the things that makes this pickup different than all the other trucks from this era or just about any time, it's the car-like fenders with fins on the side of the bed.

When I first looked at the side fenders on the side of the bed I wondered if these were added as a part of the customizing work done to the truck. A little Googling and I found some Dodge ads showing the side fenders and fins from the factory.

And here's a restored 1958 Dodge Sweptline Pickup showing the same configuration as the Sweptline in the garage...

AutogeekOnline.... this is where the action's at!

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, JKDesign, axel06, ronkh57 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: The Riddler - 1958 Dodge Sweptline Kustom Pickup

Another unique custom feature,

Paul told me this has Jaguar independent rear axels and suspension.

That was a popular mod back in the 1970s I believe?

4. Likes SWETM, JKDesign liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's a few more pictures...

This 1958 Dodge D-100 Sweptline has a 360 cubic inch engine and Lever Shifter on the Dash!

6. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, JKDesign, axel06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Another unique custom feature,

Paul told me this has Jaguar independent rear axels and suspension.

That was a popular mod back in the 1970s I believe?

Neat truck. I never seen one of those before, and would have also thought those fins/whatever on the truck bed were add-ons!

The Jag rear suspension was still popular in the 90's, and last I checked in the early 2000s, they were still pretty popular with the Rodders.

My brother was going to install one in his chopped top, 1957 Chevy Pickup. He got married and sold off that project, unfortunately.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post

Neat truck. I never seen one of those before, and would have also thought those fins/whatever on the truck bed were add-ons!
    Definitely different...

I was told this was Dodge's answer to the Chevy Cameo?

The Jag rear suspension was still popular in the 90's, and last I checked in the early 2000s, they were still pretty popular with the Rodders.
    When I get a chance, I'll light her up with a SCANGRIP light and take a picture.

My brother was going to install one in his chopped top, 1957 Chevy Pickup. He got married and sold off that project, unfortunately.

Getting married and especially having children has a tendency to change a person's priorities, free time and spare money for projects.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool truck indeed Mike! It will be interesting to see how you get around that pin-striping on the hood... Shame the stripes weren't painted and then had the clear sprayed over them. Certainly would have made your job easier

Love the fins and the front end is definitely "dodge" of that era. Looks like the roof was chopped just a tad as well.

Post Thanks / Like

MOPAR baby!!

Nice truck, Mike.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely different...

I was told this was Dodge's answer to the Chevy Cameo?
    Huh. I could see that being the case.

Getting married and especially having children has a tendency to change a person's priorities, free time and spare money for projects.

OHHHHHHH Don't I know that! I'm approaching my second year of marriage next month. And yes, it has changed my perspective on things, as well as priorities. It's one reason I haven't been taking on any jobs this past year. And projects? Yup. I'm putting up my 1991 Honda CRX for sale. Along many other spare Honda parts I've been accumulating for the passed 10 years. Some people are going to get some nice deals. I still have my '96 Jeep XJ and my little race car ('91 Civic hatchback) to keep me busy for some time.

Post Thanks / Like

These were Dodge's response to the Chevy Cameo. They used the quarter panels from 2 door station wagons to be the fins. They were basically welded over the existing stepside-type bed. This setup lasted through 1959 when it was replaced by a conventional smooth-side bed.

Mike Phillips

***Update***

This truck project ran right into my May 3-day class but it's not forgotten...

Here's a couple of after pictures to show the end-results, will add all the pics as I can get to them.

14. Likes FrankS, PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast