autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wash mitts

Post Thanks / Like

Wash mitts

Hi Mike. My wife got me a norwex wash mitt for Christmas. She says that I can use it without car wash soap and it will not scratch. I have tried telling her that it’s not a good idea as it will put scratches into the paint.

Norwex USA

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wash mitts

Try it out on her car first.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Likes ducksfan, Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I read the Norwex website's description and I cannot believe they recommend using with just plain water.

Don't listen to PaulMys You wouldn't want to scratch your/wife's car. Find the consultant who sold your wife the wash mitt and try the "plain water" solution on the consultant's car first

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    Wow, I read the Norwex website's description and I cannot believe they recommend using with just plain water.

Don't listen to PaulMys You wouldn't want to scratch your/wife's car. Find the consultant who sold your wife the wash mitt and try the "plain water" solution on the consultant's car first
    My wife is the consultant 🤦#♂️

7. Likes Themikerobe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny timing. Norwex just came up in a thread on the sister site too, and I commented on how the ad copy for the wash mitt (which looks like a pretty conventional chenille mitt in the pictures) is a bit... concerning. From what I read, they not only recommend just water, but just a bucket of water. It could be a really great mitt, but I wouldn’t trust that approach for any car.

Water might be a great lubricant for a tile saw, but I’m not going to use it instead of oil in my car engine.

The description for the Auto towel is kinda disturbing too- “In conjunction with our Car Wash Mitt, our Car Cloth gets your car sparkling clean with only water. The Car Cloth’s extremely fine fibers are tightly woven, which helps prevent the cloth from holding dirt that may scratch your vehicle, so it quickly dries and polishes your entire car, including windows, mirrors, glass, chrome and other smooth or shiny surfaces.”

I’m not saying the towels aren’t of good quality (my wife recently went to a Norwex party and got the make up towels- she likes them. I may have recommended she not buy some of the others based on cost and similar appearance to other quality towels available elsewhere at lower prices...), it’s just for something like the finishes on your car I think it’s best to stick with proven approaches. might be bending the rules since it’s not a product Autogeek sells, but let us know what you think of the mitt when you use it.

If nothing else, at least she got it at cost.

(Also- great to see another MN member!)

Mike Phillips

Just real quick....

The idea that you can clean anyting as good or better or safer without soap is ridiculous.

Real SIMPLE - next time your hands are dirty - just clean them with water. See how well that works.

10. Likes Desertnate, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It'll likely get the car clean but it will sure scratch the car!

Around my house and in a maintained car interior, I often use microfiber towels because they allow you to clean without any cleaning agents and microfiber is quite amazing by itself. A damp MF will even clean light oil because it has thousands of fibers that are positively charged which attracts dirt and oil, they also mechanically remove the oil since there's so many fibers and so much surface area compared to cotton, and then the fibers hold it inside themselves since they're hollow. So if your car doesn't have a lot of road grim (which is quite oily), tar, etc, I'm sure any MF wash mitt will make the car clean but I would still never use one without soap because you're gonna be torturing the paint by inflicting countless scratches since you don't have soap to lubricate.

But for many Norwex users, they won't notice the scratches or realize that any MF mitt will have the same result so they'll be satisfied. Just the other day my sister came over and said she was gonna wash her car so I went outside to tell her she could use my foam gun and I see her wiping the down the car with old, scratchy cotton towels and no soap! She said that's how she always does it and she was satisfied cause it did look clean though completely dull. I'm not sure if the dull look was the result of it being swirled to high heaven or if the car wasn't actually clean since she wasnt using MF and instead just appeared clean cause the dirt was evenly spread

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy5431 View Post
    My wife is the consultant ��#♂️

In that case, go ahead and wash the wife’s car

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Just real quick....

The idea that you can clean anyting as good or better or safer without soap is ridiculous.

Real SIMPLE - next time your hands are dirty - just clean them with water. See how well that works.

One clarification, Mike. "without soap" should be updated to something like "without a high-quality, pH-neutral, highly lubricating, <etc,etc,etc> soap" in this context. There are plenty of soaps and detergents out there that can yield detrimental results. There are even some "automotive" soaps and shampoos out there that are not very good. The casual reader here might misconstrue this and start thinking that Dawn or Ajax is better than plain water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Themikerobe View Post
    It'll likely get the car clean but it will sure scratch the car!

Around my house and in a maintained car interior, I often use microfiber towels because they allow you to clean without any cleaning agents and microfiber is quite amazing by itself. A damp MF will even clean light oil because it has thousands of fibers that are positively charged which attracts dirt and oil, they also mechanically remove the oil since there's so many fibers and so much surface area compared to cotton, and then the fibers hold it inside themselves since they're hollow. So if your car doesn't have a lot of road grim (which is quite oily), tar, etc, I'm sure any MF wash mitt will make the car clean but I would still never use one without soap because you're gonna be torturing the paint by inflicting countless scratches since you don't have soap to lubricate.

But for many Norwex users, they won't notice the scratches or realize that any MF mitt will have the same result so they'll be satisfied. Just the other day my sister came over and said she was gonna wash her car so I went outside to tell her she could use my foam gun and I see her wiping the down the car with old, scratchy cotton towels and no soap! She said that's how she always does it and she was satisfied cause it did look clean though completely dull. I'm not sure if the dull look was the result of it being swirled to high heaven or if the car wasn't actually clean since she wasnt using MF and instead just appeared clean cause the dirt was evenly spread

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Wow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast