autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike....and others - Oxidation or clearcoat failure?

Hi Mike....and others - Oxidation or clearcoat failure?

New member here saying hi. There is a mountain of info to go over, so slowly educating myself. Glad there is a forum like this to help concentrate knowledge for others to learn from.

In the mean time posting some pictures(hopefully it works) as to an issue i am facing. The ones posted is all i have at the moment but can get some others later if need be.

So the trouble is i believe the clear coat is oxidized a bit. Not sure if something like this can be corrected by polishing or not but hoping some veteran professionals will be able to help figure that part out. If in fact it can be brought back i'd like to get a ball park as to what it may cost to have done here in south florida. It is currently just on the top of the truck lid.

Might consider a full car paint correction depending on costs involved. However, just trying to gauge the trunk for now.

Mike, as you already know, there are dime a dozen detailers in south florida.

If you have some suggestions of folks that are on the forums here, or that you know personally(yet not so active on the boards) would be helpful to have some trusted professionals to choose from.

Anybody in Palm Beach and/or Broward counties.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hi Mike....and others - Oxidation or clearcoat failure?-00s0s_6peerchtlpb_600x450-jpg   Hi Mike....and others - Oxidation or clearcoat failure?-00o0o_brkbwfehskv_600x450-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Re: Hi Mike....and others

Quote Originally Posted by multiplexor View Post

New member here saying hi. There is a mountain of info to go over, so slowly educating myself. Glad there is a forum like this to help concentrate knowledge for others to learn from.
    Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Sorry for the late reply, been a tick busy with Detail Fest and some other things...

In the mean time posting some pictures (hopefully it works) as to an issue i am facing. The ones posted is all i have at the moment but can get some others later if need be.

So the trouble is i believe the clear coat is oxidized a bit.
    In the 16 plus years I've been answering car detailing questions in the online world, every time a thread like this pops up the majority of people starting the thread "think" the paint on their car has "oxidation".

Only to find out the fact and truth is the car and the paint on the car is suffering clearcoat failure. Do a Google search using these terms,

Clearcoat Failure Mike Phillips

This is especially true when the person starting the thread

A: Lives or bought the car from a sun intense state

B: Sees the issue on the horizontal surfaces i.e hood, roof and trunk lid, the surfaces the sun beats down on.

Not sure if something like this can be corrected by polishing or not but hoping some veteran professionals will be able to help figure that part out. If in fact it can be brought back i'd like to get a ball park as to what it may cost to have done here in south florida.
    Nope. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, (for all these years now), but clearcoat failure cannot be fixed. The only honest repair is to repaint the affected panel or the entire car. If you want to know why this happens to cars, read one of the most helpful articles I think I have ever written,

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

It is currently just on the top of the truck lid.
    Using one of the pictures you attached, I downloaded it and using MS Paint, drew a circle around the area that I think you are referencing?

Am I correct?

Might consider a full car paint correction depending on costs involved. However, just trying to gauge the trunk for now.
    A truly professional re-paint that is warrantied for a car like your that needs ZERO body work will be around $3000.00 Of course you can find lower cost options.

To just squirt the entire trunk lid look at a low of $300.00 for a quality re-spray.

Mike, as you already know, there are dime a dozen detailers in south florida. If you have some suggestions of folks that are on the forums here, or that you know personally(yet not so active on the boards) would be helpful to have some trusted professionals to choose from.

Anybody in Palm Beach and/or Broward counties.

I'm going to shoot you and e-mail to let you know I've answered your questions here on the forum as I prefer to work on the forum and not via e-mails... but.... I'm going to make sure you're aware I've replied since you posted this on Wednesday and I'm only just now getting to it on Friday, after lunch.

If the area is in fact clearcoat failure I'm sorry to say, there's nothing you can do to help it or fix it. The clear layer of paint is simply giving up and disintegrating before your eyes.

Keep it out of the sun as much as you can.

Mike Phillips

Re: Hi Mike....and others

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hi Mike....and others - Oxidation or clearcoat failure?

Thank you for the feedback. The small portion you circled is actually just the corner of the top of the lid as a whole. The weird part is it is only on the top of the trunk lid and nowhere else.

What had me puzzled is the fact that even though there is a haze on the deck lid if i put something on there it will reflect whatever item fairly well. It may be difficult to pick up such a thing with the phone camera i have, but in person its easily noticeable. Because things will reflect fairly decently it had me wondering whether it was just a smidge of clear top coat that could be buffed away to reveal a nice clean lid. As of now one can still run their hand over the trunk and there is very little difference in texture between the rear of the trunk and the top....if any. I.E. still smooth and not that feeling like if you rubbed it hard enough powder/clear would come off on the rag/hand/etc.

Will start bringing to paint shop for quotes. In the mean time have any suggestions/recommendations of detailers in the Palm Beach and Broward county area i can look into? Some that are on the forums here, or those you know in the biz but maybe to busy to come to the site very often?