autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Very fine spider webs on black

I have cleaned, polished and waxed my my black 2008 BMW and it looks great but there are still very very fine spider webs. I polished the car using an RO and CG #36 and #38 and then used CG Blacklight and it took out most of the marks and fine scratches, but at the right angle in the very bright sun before sunset I can see a very fine webbing effect. I again made several passes over a test spot using a blue pad and the #36 and #38 and it didn't begin to touch them. I am wondering if these fine scratches are through the clearcoat? The previous owner washed the car with a car wash brush and I have improved it a lot already.

Does anyone have a recommendation of polish / pad that I can try to remove these or is there such a thing as "towel marks" that will never be completely removed? I am to the point that I am concerned about making it worse and this might be as good as it gets on a 10 year old finish. Thank you

I tried to take a pic, but they are so fine that they are had to capture even with the flash or a bright flashlight. This pic is from about 2" or less away. The paint is called sapphire black and does have a bit of flake in it.

Very fine spider webs on black-webs2-jpg

Mike Phillips

Re: Very fine spider webs on black

Quote Originally Posted by IAJack View Post

I have cleaned, polished and waxed my my black 2008 BMW and it looks great but there are still very very fine spider webs. I polished the car using an RO and CG #36 and #38
    Order a bottle of Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover, re-polish using a CLEAN foam polishing pad. Paint will be perfect for the wax after that.

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 16 oz.

It's $44.99 for the 16 ounce bottle. This will be more than enough to completely re-polish each square millimeter of your car's paint and I guarantee the paint will be perfect. If not, we'll send you a bottle of anything else or refund your money.

When it comes to polishing paint, the most important fact is the abrasive technology.

3. Likes BudgetPlan1, JustJesus liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Which random orbital polisher do you have?

What size backing plate?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a cheaper TCP global ROP from Amazon with a 6 inch pad. Maybe that is the issue and it isn't random or orbital?

Mike Phillips

I have a cheaper TCP global ROP from Amazon with a 6 inch pad.

Maybe that is the issue and it isn't random or orbital?

I Googled

TCP global Random Orbital Polisher

and it pulls up what looks like a knock-off of the "original" the Porter Cable. So it should not be the problem.

This is not to be taken as a dig at you just a rhetorical question... (I ask it from time to time)

Where is that Amazon Car Detailing Discussion Forum?

Mike Phillips

I'll stick to my original reply... if you really want your black BMW to look perfect, get the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and some fresh clean, un-adulterated foam polishing pads and re-polish the car.

The most important factor when it comes to polishing scratch-sensitive clearcoats paints is the abrasive technology.

I'd stake my reputation on it.

8. Likes JustJesus, Misterpaul, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    It's $44.99 for the 16 ounce bottle. This will be more than enough to completely re-polish each square millimeter of your car's paint and I guarantee the paint will be perfect. If not, we'll send you a bottle of anything else or refund your money.
    Oh WOW! Talk about a guarantee! Nicely done, Mike. No better way to get your point across and your confidence in that product.

.. I again made several passes over a test spot using a blue pad and the #36 and #38 and it didn't begin to touch them.
    I wonder if he's been using the CG Blue Hex Logic pad. If so, then that pad may just be too soft to pull the swirls out? Maybe the abrasives in the #36 and #38 helped a bit, but not enough as it would have with a polishing pad? [shrug] Just a thought

Heck, maybe like someone said in the other thread, the OP is putting them in during the final wipe off?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Q. "Where is that Amazon Car Detailing Discussion Forum?"

A. Right next to the I am a cheap SOB non-professional detailer forum.

Thanks for the help

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wiping might be part of my problem (there is a joke there somewhere). The fine lines and swirls are not everywhere and kinda intermittent? I ordered a new orange, white and black pad and will try those along with a wiping solution.

Mike Phillips

I ordered a new orange, white and black pad and will try those along with a wiping solution.

Which pads?

As for wiping, if you haven't already, click the link below and read the article and watch the video...

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

Wiping paint is something we do the most to the paint and for this reason it's so important to always inspect your towels before wiping.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast