autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Best consumer coating for UV protection

I'm buying a new 2022 MX5 RF Mazda with beautiful red paint, that I hear is delicate, and I want to put a coating on it. I have some experience with DA polishing and general detailing but nothing on a professional level. I've been looking at YouTube videos and there seems to be a lot of hype and salesmanship but not a lot of real reviews. I have heard the Meg's Hybrid Coating is pretty good but nothing on its UV protection. Whatever coating I get it has to go on over Xpel PPF. I live near Tucson, AZ so its sunny year round and my job parking lot is not covered and it's a dirt lot so the car is filthy an hour after I park there so I need good protection. Do any of you have any recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best consumer coating for UV protection

I used CarPro Skin on my gf's Xpel. I'm not sure about it's UV protection though.

I would have also used Optimum Gloss Coat. I think that one has UV protection but I'm not 100% on that.

My gf's parents live in Green Valley, and she wants me to send her Dad an Optimum kit of ONR and Car Wax for the UV inhibitors in the Car Wax - because of how intense the sun is down there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelalum View Post
    my job parking lot is not covered and it's a dirt lot so the car is filthy an hour after I park there so I need good protection. Do any of you have any recommendations?
    Find a new job with asphalt parking. Seriously, your vehicle will need to be blown off with a cordless blower every evening.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    Find a new job with asphalt parking. Seriously, your vehicle will need to be blown off with a cordless blower every evening.
    Haha that doesnt work...trust me. I have just hit it with the pw and foam cannon with 3d super pre soak and then rinsed it during the week if its like the pic below. But everyday would be a pointless. My job site is a dust bowl at times. Ive given up unless its real bad and just wash it on the weekend to enjoy it then.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

What areas will have PPF? By the way their is no best. If there was we would all be using that particular coating. Find one from one of the many brands sold through autogeek and you will be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    You brought back memories of my parents beach home we lived at in the summer and commuted to town.. One day my Crager SS’s showed stain spotting from the chemicals to hold down the road dust.

My bags were packed and I was outta there! Years later the road was paved and I lived there to finish college.

7. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You could buy a cheap car cover for when you’re at work. Even if it isn’t UV protectant, it would help with the dust. You wouldn’t get to show off your new car at work, but you wouldn’t have to worry about it getting ruined as bad. Just thinking out loud

Post Thanks / Like

Claimed UV protection in a coating is pretty meaningless because the amount needed to really provide *durable* UV resistance is no where near a level that would deem it substantial. The clear coat is the UV protection.

A coating thickness is typically 1-2 microns. A clear coat thickness is typically 1.5-2.0 millimeters.

How much UV resistance could 1-2 microns provide? The answer is: not much.

So I would ignore UV claims and put that on the bottom of the list as a key factor for choosing a product.

10. Likes glen e, DAC17 liked this post