autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter wheel cleaning without a hose

I have been trying to figure this out as well. The rinsless wash does NOT work very well. I use wolfang uber rinseless wash. I'll spray it on the tire and either wipe with a microfiber towel or scrub with a brush first and then wipe down. However when i do this sure enough when it dries there is a brownish smear thing going on.

I am not sure if you should use something like an APC or a degreaser on a tire like usual and then only wipe it up with a towel, if you cant rinse off the cleaner first. Or maybe use the APC or degreaser first and then just spray rinseless on and wipe off with a towel to remove the residue??

The hyrdoshot I have heard of before .. but that is still more water on the ground than what I want to have .. by the time I hose off the wheel well, the tire, and the rims there is going to be a pool of water on the ground. I do not consider that to be a no mess solution.

I am not real sure at this point if there is a real good way to clean a DIRTY tire or wheel well without a good flow of water. So far nothing I have tried has worked real well vs using flowing water and a degreaser.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMarkJr View Post
    I have been trying to figure this out as well. The rinsless wash does NOT work very well. I use wolfang uber rinseless wash. I'll spray it on the tire and either wipe with a microfiber towel or scrub with a brush first and then wipe down. However when i do this sure enough when it dries there is a brownish smear thing going on.

I am not sure if you should use something like an APC or a degreaser on a tire like usual and then only wipe it up with a towel, if you cant rinse off the cleaner first. Or maybe use the APC or degreaser first and then just spray rinseless on and wipe off with a towel to remove the residue??

The hyrdoshot I have heard of before .. but that is still more water on the ground than what I want to have .. by the time I hose off the wheel well, the tire, and the rims there is going to be a pool of water on the ground. I do not consider that to be a no mess solution.

I am not real sure at this point if there is a real good way to clean a DIRTY tire or wheel well without a good flow of water. So far nothing I have tried has worked real well vs using flowing water and a degreaser.
    I've been meaning to try some (even if only for winter cleaning duty) but I believe McKee's 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator is non caustic and does not need to be rinsed away. So in theory you could just spray it on and agitate or just let it dwell, then go over the tire with a rag damp with your rinseless solution to clean the residue off.

Could be worth looking in to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    I've been meaning to try some (even if only for winter cleaning duty) but I believe McKee's 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator is non caustic and does not need to be rinsed away. So in theory you could just spray it on and agitate or just let it dwell, then go over the tire with a rag damp with your rinseless solution to clean the residue off.

Could be worth looking in to.
    I might look into that .. however last night I got to thinking that I dont rinse off the residue from the APC I use on interiors so how important would it really be for tires? I actually tried the APC on the tire and scrubbed and then sprayed with rinseless and wiped it off.

I mean the APC and degreaser I use I would assume are water soluble since they can be diluted with water ... so maybe a once over with a rinseless would be fine? I dont know.

The only issue here is that my tires are already pretty clean and so I have no idea how well it would work on a dirty tire.

Post Thanks / Like

I might look into that .. however last night I got to thinking that I dont rinse off the residue from the APC I use on interiors so how important would it really be for tires? I actually tried the APC on the tire and scrubbed and then sprayed with rinseless and wiped it off.

I mean the APC and degreaser I use I would assume are water soluble since they can be diluted with water ... so maybe a once over with a rinseless would be fine? I dont know.

The only issue here is that my tires are already pretty clean and so I have no idea how well it would work on a dirty tire.
    Probably a fair point. I've sprayed megs d101 on my tires and agitated it and wiped residue away with a damp towel and haven't had any issues.

I do tend to go over my interior plastics with a damp ONR towel though if I use an APC before I apply my dressing. Not really 100% sure why I do it, I could probably skip that step lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    Probably a fair point. I've sprayed megs d101 on my tires and agitated it and wiped residue away with a damp towel and haven't had any issues.

I do tend to go over my interior plastics with a damp ONR towel though if I use an APC before I apply my dressing. Not really 100% sure why I do it, I could probably skip that step lol
    lol ya you probably could skip that .. I have never removed or attempted to remove APC before applying dressing. Never any issues. Neither my car or any of my customers cars have had any troubles and the dressing stays on well.

However with that being said I do believe in removing the residue from carpet or fabric. If you leave it there it will reactivate when water on shoes touch it and will kinda clean the shoe and get the carpet dirty faster. But I also use a Mytee extractor to remove it ... havent tried the neutralizers yet.

Post Thanks / Like

lol ya you probably could skip that .. I have never removed or attempted to remove APC before applying dressing. Never any issues. Neither my car or any of my customers cars have had any troubles and the dressing stays on well.

However with that being said I do believe in removing the residue from carpet or fabric. If you leave it there it will reactivate when water on shoes touch it and will kinda clean the shoe and get the carpet dirty faster. But I also use a Mytee extractor to remove it ... havent tried the neutralizers yet.
    I'd love to get my hands on something like a mytee extractor, but I can't justify that just doing this as a hobby... Maybe one day!

Post Thanks / Like

pharden,

I'm going to forward you a pm that someone pm'd me just about a year ago to the same question I asked. Can't tell you the product on the open forum, because AG doesn't sell it, but I think they should. It works awesome.
    Last edited by h8dirtycars; 02-06-2018 at 09:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

I use one of the 48 oz. pump sprayers to do my DD wheels in the winter, using ONR or DG Rinseless. After soaking all four wheels and tires down, I'll wet the brush, agitate, then spray again to rinse. Since my wheels always get some FK1000 before winter, rinseless is all I need to get thru PA winters.

Bill

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried ONR on the tires and then used a scrub brush. It didn't seem to work that well. Next time i'll try some APC with a scrub brush, then rinse with ONR and wipe down with some old towels. More snow tonight!

Thanks everyone for your tips

Post Thanks / Like

Get yourself a Blackfire 48 oz hand pump for rinsing, or a 2 gallon hand pump from your favorite big hardware store, both will rinse....or even better, Worx hydroshotWinter wheel cleaning without a hose

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast