autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need advice with light clear coat scratches on new 2018 Accord

Let me apologize up front for the length, I tend to be detailed...

I purchased a 2018 Accord- Platinum White 3 weeks ago. After a few days of having it, I noticed when looking at it from certain angles and light there were a few what appears to be clear coat scratches on the hood and on the trunk from what I assume may have been when the dealership washed/dried it. None of the scratches can be felt which also leads me to believe they are slight clear coat scratches. I also ordered the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic coating to apply to my car from AutoGeek. I hand washed it using the 2 bucket method with grit guards as I usually do, and I use the Absorber towel to dry it. Because of the scratches, I tried using Meguire's Ultimate Polish using my Turtle Wax random orbital polisher on the hood and trunk to remove them per the instructions on the bottle. I then used the Wolfgang Perfect Paint Prep and applied the Uber Ceramic coating. Later that evening with the right light shining on the car while parked in a restaurant parking lot, I noticed the scratches were not in fact gone! I know my OCD is kind of kicking in here in that there are not a lot of them and they can only be seen with the right light and at the right angle, but I can't stop thinking about it being a new car and them being there.

Can you please tell me if this may work? I figure I'd have to remove the Uber Ceramic coating first, and was wondering if the WG Perfect Paint prep would do it? I also thought about trying the Meguire's Scratch X 2.0 with using my random orbital polisher to remove the scratches, and then re-apply the Uber Ceramic coating.

Thanks so much in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice with light clear coat scratches on new 2018 Accord

Always do a test spot before doing the whole car.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO.

Well first off the paint prep is not going to remove the coating. You will have to polish it off.

Also you are using this tool or something similar?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am using one similar, it is the smaller hand version. And to your point about the paint prep not removing the Uber ceramic coating, will a clay bar remove it? Last, I just realized that I used Meguire's Ultimate Polish, not Ultimate Compound to try and remove the scratches ( I updated my OP). Maybe that's why the scratches didn't come out?

Need advice with light clear coat scratches on new 2018 Accord-51wse4soehl-_sy450_-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

This tool is not going to do much for removing swirls. It’s often called a wax spreader.

Claying will not remove all the coating. It may remove some. Polishing will for sure.

You can try ultimate compound with the machine you have but I would recommend looking into a dual action polisher if your budget allows.

6. Thanks kalvintong thanked for this post
    Likes kalvintong liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You are going to want a machine like this Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher and you will be best to purchase a package deal. Get the pads and polishes to match and you will be able to handle any light scratches and swirls with ease. The blue wax spreader will be just a memory of how you got started and a great lesson learned. My story was very similar yet on a larger scale of errors. I tried doing a 9' tall cargo van with a $30.00 hand vibrator from Home Depot and found AutoGeek because of it! It still causes me to be humble when others describe their trials and tribulations of detailing.Good luck with your decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wing commander View Post
    You are going to want a machine like this Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher and you will be best to purchase a package deal. Get the pads and polishes to match and you will be able to handle any light scratches and swirls with ease. The blue wax spreader will be just a memory of how you got started and a great lesson learned. My story was very similar yet on a larger scale of errors. I tried doing a 9' tall cargo van with a $30.00 hand vibrator from Home Depot and found AutoGeek because of it! It still causes me to be humble when others describe their trials and tribulations of detailing.Good luck with your decision.
    Machine as recommended above, some orange lake country flat pads, Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover will take the Uber off and remove the scratches. Can follow with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze on white pad to refine. Reapply Uber to hood.

Paint prep and/or clay won't remove the Uber Cramic.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wing commander View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Machine as recommended above, some orange lake country flat pads, Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover will take the Uber off and remove the scratches. Can follow with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze on white pad to refine. Reapply Uber to hood.

Paint prep and/or clay won't remove the Uber Cramic.
    I truly appreciate the replies and recommendations! I took a look at the Griot's polisher and I'm not sure if it is within my budget right now. Is there a way to tackle this by hand with pads, WG Total Swirl Remover and such?

Post Thanks / Like

Working by hand won't get you very far. The investment in a good polisher will take you a long way. If you can't afford it now, fight a holding action by ensuring you're keeping the paint protected and using wash products/equipment that won't make things worse while you save up for the polisher.

I'll also suggest you get rid of the Absorber. It works well for pulling up water, but it is not gentle on soft paint. When I moved from using an Absorber to soft microfiber waffle weave drying towels, I noticed a significant drop in marring on my wife's Toyota, which also has very soft paint like your Honda. Now, I only use the Absorber for my wheels.

What do you use to wash the vehicle?

Removing the swirls is one step. The next is to ensure they don't come back.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan76 View Post
    I truly appreciate the replies and recommendations! I took a look at the Griot's polisher and I'm not sure if it is within my budget right now. Is there a way to tackle this by hand with pads, WG Total Swirl Remover and such?
    Could always go with a Harbor Freight, I think those are around $50. Advance Auto sometimes has coupons and sales that lower the Griots under $100. Unfortunately I don't think hand polishing will be enough to do the job unless you're some kinda genetically engineered cyborg.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast