autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Review: Griot's Garage BOSS 2 inch Orbital Conversion Kit by Mike Phillips

Review: Griot's Garage BOSS 2 inch Orbital Conversion Kit by Mike Phillips

Griot's Garage BOSS 2 inch Orbital Conversion Kit

At the Colorado Roadshow Car Detailing Class, Jeff Brown from Griot's Garage was so kind to ship out a complete Griot's Garage BOSS 2 inch Orbital Conversion Kit for our class to use. This was ONE WEEK after SEMA where and when these pads were first introduced to the public. So I'm pretty sure the students in our roadshow class were the FIRST people in the public to get there hands on them!

Review
    When you couple these small pads to your Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher you turn this pint-sized 5mm free spinning orbital polisher into a SWIRL KILLING MACHINE!

The backing plate is heavy duty and uses the same size threaded stud used by full size backing plates and can also be attached to the full size Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher. Be careful if you use this 2" system on a full size polisher when using it on horizontal panels as the weight of the tool alone can compress the foam pads. Large tools and small pads on HORIZONTAL panels makes the tool TIPPY. That is if you don't pay attention it's easy for the tool to tip over and this can cause damage to the paint on a hood or trunk lid. On vertical panels it's not a problem because YOU are now supporting the weight of the tool AND pressing it against the panel. Just thought I'd share some real world experience for anyone that has not used small pads on large tools on horizontal panels. Remember the word is TIPPY.

On the 3" Mini Polisher, which I call a Peanut Polisher, it's not an issue or a problem in fact it's GREAT!

If you're wanting to tackle thin panels are intricate components and you want a pad that fits these areas then get the Griot's Garage BOSS 2 inch Orbital Conversion Kit for your 3" Mini Polisher or the 6" Griot's Random Orbital Polisher. My advice is get extra pads too...

Here's Bill using the Griot's 2" pads to compound the thin panel just behind the convertible top of a BMW

Here's Pete using the 2" Griot's pads around the Kia emblem to polish

Info about the different pad options

On Autogeek.com

Griot's Garage BOSS 2 inch Orbital Conversion Kit

Griots Garage 2 inch BOSS Foam and Microfiber Pads

Griots Garage BOSS Air 2 inch Backing Plate

What? Don't have a Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher?

Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher

Griots Garage 3 Inch HD Orbital Polisher - 25' cord already pre-wired into the tool.

Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher

And here's its big cousin the full size 6" Random Orbital Polisher and "yes' the 2" backing plate will bolt right on.

Griot's Garage 6" ROP - Standard cord

Griots Garage 6 Inch Heavy Duty Random Orbital Polisher - HD Cord - 25' Heavy Duty Cord already pre-wired

Griot's Garage 6" DA Orbital Polisher

2. Thanks DBAILEY, habs33, Hammer77 thanked for this post
    Likes RaskyR1, LEDetailing, habs33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Griot's Garage BOSS 2 inch Orbital Conversion Kit by Mike Phillips

Can only be a good thing to have more pad variety in the smaller sizes.

So, the GG Mini has a 5mm throw. Can you tell me what the throw on the Rupes TA50 is?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    Can only be a good thing to have more pad variety in the smaller sizes.

So, the GG Mini has a 5mm throw. Can you tell me what the throw on the Rupes TA50 is?
    3mm

5. Thanks ducksfan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just looked all over AG, can you buy just the 2 inch backing plate? I am not interested in the kit.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer77 View Post
    I just looked all over AG, can you buy just the 2 inch backing plate? I am not interested in the kit.
    Sure!

And as is my norm - I included the link to JUST the 2” backing plate in my review for those people like you that may just want the backing plate.

It’s the third link down under,

On Autogeek.com

And here’s the link,

https://www.autogeek.net/griots-2inch-boss-plate.html

8. Thanks Hammer77 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your time Mike, I miss read the description. I thought the one you linked was for the air tool only. Its been a long day for me.