autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Who Uses a California Car Duster ? Are they safe ?

Just wondering who uses one of those California Car Dusters (they are probably marketed under various other names too).

They are those long handled mop looking dusters that have a residue in the mop threads to attract and grab the dust particles (not for washing the car - just for light dusting).

I was just wondering if they are actually safe for your paint finish. They are typically used for light dusting when your car doesn't really need a car washing.

Anyone had any negative experiences with these or have they scratched your finish or maybe even removed the wax you have on your car ??? Ect ? Ect ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who Uses a California Car Duster ? Are they safe ?

Quote Originally Posted by alexramsey View Post
    ...those California Car Dusters
    (they are probably marketed
    under various other names too).

I was just wondering if they are
    actually safe for your paint finish.

Anyone had any negative experiences
    with these or have they scratched your
    finish...
    •I’m willing to bet that you already know,
    first-hand, the “safeness” of these dusters;
    and, their paint-scratchability as well:

-Haven’t you already been using your
    duster very often, almost daily, and
    just recently noticed some swirls start-
    ing to appear on the rear bumper—in the
    same direction that you dust?

•Additionally:
    -Aren’t your thoughts that it’s exactly like
    writing in the dirt on someones car; that
    is to say: dirt gets rubbed against the paint
    causing small scratches/swirls?

-{FWIW: That’s my thoughts as well.}

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I been using them for 25 years with no issue. I only use to get the light dust/pollen off of a recently washed vehicle. They will not clean a car that is dirty from rain or more than a few days of driving dirt. I have no scratches from them.

Post Thanks / Like

Not any good at all!

Before becoming an AutoGeek person---Used this Calif duster on my classic MGA. Paint was pristine. By fall it was full of light scratches. So had to hand polish (before I had a machine) the paint back to perfection. I used the duster again on the following year---same thing! Scratches! I rarely wash the MGA! ###???? Had no clue at the time why it was getting all swirled out!

So as time went on, I decided to put the MG on the market. In prep for the sale, I proceeded to re polish the paint. As I was doing this, there was a small area on rear deck behind the seats under the convertible top. This area hardly ever gets washed due to being inside the car. I've always used the duster there. I did a a rinseless wash there and Lordy!!! Had all these tiny waxey spots all over the rear deck---like it came from candle wax drippings! Took me a couple of hours to hand wash, hand compound and hand polish to remove those waxy spots! I knew just then it was from the duster!

After I was done I took 3 of those dusters and tossed in the trash. Haven't had a problem since!

So, they are crap....Makes more work in the long run. Toss them.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

You'll get opinions from one extreme to the other on this topic. Here's a post of mine from another thread on this topic. I'm a proponent.

"Many will cringe at the idea of dragging a car duster across their finish but I'll tell you that I've been using the California Car Duster for more than twenty-five years on all of my vehicles, including my current black Chevy Truck and two black Harleys, without any ill-effects.

You do need to use a little common sense. It's designed to effectively remove light dust and it does a great job at that. Anything beyond light dust and you're asking for trouble. Even light dust that has been exposed to morning dew, or such, and is therefore a little "stuck" to the surface is pushing the limits.

But for simple removal of dust that is just loosely sitting on the finish, the California Car Duster works great.

I've never tried any other brands.

Even when I'm wiping down using a Quik Detailer, I'll typically "dust" the surface with the California Car Duster first, then proceed to the Quik Detailer. I feel that the duster is safer to remove the loose dust than is the Quik Detailer."

And as for the waxy spots/residue that can be left behind... Yes it does, or can, occur when the duster is brand new but diminishes with usage. Also following the instructions that come with it to lay it out on some newspaper for a while before using it for the first time helps. In my experience any residue it leaves behind is easily removed with a quick detailer or similar product.

Post Thanks / Like

If used properly they are a really good addition to your arsenal. If you LIGHTLY and GENTLY brush off the panels; then there should be no issues. This is for LIGHT DUST. When I go to car shows I cringe when I see a guy using the Dustbuster ALL WRONG. Smashing the DB on his ride and moving back and forth pretty hard.

However, I have also seen guys use it right and their rides look great. Usually those guys know quite a bit about detailing.

But all said and done, do I have one? No. I no longer use them.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I would not use it on a black Porsche.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the California Car Duster to remove light dust/pollen after my car has been washed. I hold the Duster high so only the "TIPS" touch the paint. I only go in the direction of air flow -->. I have not had any scratches doing it this way.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

I got one for Christmas last year. Used it one time on very light dust and barely even touched the car with it. Put it out in the sun and sure enough, scratches all over my clear coat. I threw it in the garbage.

They may be better on harder paint, but its a big NO on a Dodge pitch black (very soft). I just leave it dusty until I can give it a proper washing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    If used properly they are a really good addition to your arsenal. If you LIGHTLY and GENTLY brush off the panels; then there should be no issues. This is for LIGHT DUST.
    Agree with the above 100%.

I have used a CD for probably 30 years with absolutely zero issues. As long as you use it ONLY when there is minimal dust and just let the tips drag on the paint, there will be no damage to your paint. People screw up by using it as a dirt remover, instead of its intended use, hence the name........ DUSTER.

And BTW, in those 30 yrs that I have been using them (on my second one), the vast majority of my vehicles have been metallic black or maroon.

11. Likes Kamakaz1961 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast