autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Body shop safe products...

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Owner said if shop gets messed up---he'll send me a bill for all damages to shop!!!
    hey Tom, not sure if you already know this gentleman or not from previous dealings, but this sort of thing is a red flag for people when I'm potentially doing business with them. I'm overly cautious, but it sure sounds like he would be quick to point a finger at you for things that may not be within your control or even caused by you.

I of course don't know the guy at all so it could be his way of joking around, but that's a bold statement to say to someone. Make sure you cover yourself!

2. Thanks TMQ thanked for this post
    Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As for the wheels---plan to wash with soap, use sonax wheel cleaner to remove brake dust, hit the tire once with tuff shine tire cleaner, and then finish off tire again with rubber rejuvenator, clean wheels with Blackfire coat paint prep to prep for coating and then coat wheels with pinnacle black diamond wheel coating and McKee's tire coating...
    Tom
    None of those products should be a problem. Its all cleaners and 2 coatings. McKee's tire coating would be the only one that would be a mystery really. I know it is some type of flexible acrylic substance and doubt if it had silicone in it based on how clean McKee's expects the tire to be prior to application. If you were to polish the wheel faces then the 3D polishes would be a good choice as already mentioned.

4. Thanks TMQ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

•Not (yet):
    -being 100% assured of the “Bodyshop
    safeness” of the tire/wheel products you
    mentioned you will be using; and, being
    duly forewarned by this Bodyshop’s owner,
    as you also mentioned;

•Then:
    -unless the Bodyshop’s owner were to
    supply/recommend all of the detailing
    products that he deems is safe to use in
    his Shop—that of which must also meet
    or exceed your particular Coating criteria...

-I, personally, sure wouldn’t perform any
    type of detailing processes anywhere near
    this Bodyshop’s premises.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

6. Thanks TMQ, sorehands thanked for this post
    Likes Heisenberg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

More importantly---How do I find information about the products I am using?

Tom
    Really?? Contact the company

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kb2ehj View Post
    Really?? Contact the company
    Many companies I've asked are hesitant about releasing SDS sheets or other information unless you can prove to them you are a full-fledged shop and have a need for them. It's a valid question to ask.

Also, not everybody knows exactly what to do the first time they are faced with an issue. You don't have to be snarky or act somehow amazed that someone would ask a question.

9. Thanks TMQ thanked for this post
    Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Many companies I've asked are hesitant about releasing SDS sheets or other information unless you can prove to them you are a full-fledged shop and have a need for them. It's a valid question to ask.

Also, not everybody knows exactly what to do the first time they are faced with an issue. You don't have to be snarky or act somehow amazed that someone would ask a question.
    Interestingly, 3D has everyone of there's easily accessible on their website.

My employer sells thousands of different companies cleaning chemicals and all have links online to sds sheets as a convenience to our customers.

The thing about sds sheets is they may frequently reference the manufacturer, so if you are having someone blend your products and not actually doing the manufacturing yourself the kitty is out of the bag so to speak.

For example The Home Depot, go online and look at their HDX Bleach, click on the sds sheet and it references the mfg of the bleach
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

11. Thanks TMQ thanked for this post
    Likes DBAILEY, Heisenberg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Interestingly, 3D has everyone of there's easily accessible on their website.

My employer sells thousands of different companies cleaning chemicals and all have links online to sds sheets as a convenience to our customers.

The thing about sds sheets is they may frequently reference the manufacturer, so if you are having someone blend your products and not actually doing the manufacturing yourself the kitty is out of the bag so to speak.

For example The Home Depot, go online and look at their HDX Bleach, click on the sds sheet and it references the mfg of the bleach
    I think I remember you saying that in a previous thread - amazed at how easy it is to get the sds for any 3d product. It makes me want to use more of their products, honestly. My main thing is the safety/handling vs. the actual product blend.

13. Thanks TMQ thanked for this post
    Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    hey Tom, not sure if you already know this gentleman or not from previous dealings, but this sort of thing is a red flag for people when I'm potentially doing business with them. I'm overly cautious, but it sure sounds like he would be quick to point a finger at you for things that may not be within your control or even caused by you.

I of course don't know the guy at all so it could be his way of joking around, but that's a bold statement to say to someone. Make sure you cover yourself!
    I know him. Used to work for him at the shop for about 3 years. A great boss---he was very disappointed when I left. I was the only guy he could find that will keep the whole place #### and span---no small feat for a body shop. He knows detailing well and just wanted to fill me in and warn me about different products that can effect the shop...

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

To everyone---above.

Thank you. Guess I got my homework cut out for me...

Will need to get my hands on these SDS.

tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

To everyone---above.

Thank you. Guess I got my homework cut out for me...

Will need to get my hands on these SDS.

tom
    You know what else you can do that would be absolutely determinative, even more so than the SDS data...

Do you have access to a scrap panel? If you do you could try using each of your intended products on a section of the panel. Wipe them on, wipe them off. Then get a spray can of paint and paint over your test areas.

If the paint goes on evenly without any fisheyes, then you are golden. If not, then you'll know which product(s) are the problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast