autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Cutting ability of the LC Purple foamed Wool vs LC Hybrid wool? (Rotary Specific)

I've been using Foamed Wool pads on the rotary for a few years and I really love them. Does anyone know if the LC Hybrid Wool cuts more or less than the purple foamed wool pads on a rotary polisher?

I know they are denser and possibly more durable but I was hoping someone who has used both pads on a rotary polisher could give me their opinion of which pad has the most cut or if there is any difference in cut/finish at all? One thing I've noticed is the hook and loop backing on the LC Hybrid wool pads is better/stronger.

I have had issues with the white hook and loop material on purple foamed wool pads becoming practically impossible to stick to a backing plate. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cutting ability of the LC Purple foamed Wool vs LC Hybrid wool? (Rotary Specific)

I am also a big fan of the purple foam wool pad. Has amazing cutting and finishing Ability.

Here is a Lake Country Chart. I could not find a clear image as the link from photobucket is broken.

In the chart it shows that the Hybrid Wool has more cut.

I personally have never used the Hybrid Wool before.

Cutting ability of the LC Purple foamed Wool vs LC Hybrid wool? (Rotary Specific)-download-jpg

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cutting ability of the LC Purple foamed Wool vs LC Hybrid wool? (Rotary Specific)

Thanks Joe!! That actually really helps alot! They certainly seem to work well and I prefer the denser foam/wool of the hybrid wool. I just wasn't sure if the lesser density of the purple foamed wool actually served a purpose that created more cut via rotary than the hybrid wool. I know the LC hybrid wool is more durable (especially the hook and loop) but I needed to make sure I wasn't sacrificing cutting ability.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used both, although not extensively, and would not say that I notice an appreciable difference between them when equipped on my Makita, tbh. I originally loaded up on the blue Hybrid wool pads for use with a Flex 3401 that I purchased, but have found the amount of cut slightly disappointing on both the Flex and a rotary. Maybe I need more time behind the wheel with them, so to speak.

Curious though: how much downward pressure are you using with the blue Hybrid wool pads when equipped on a rotary, or the 3401 for that matter, and how much product are you using per section?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattyL View Post
    I have used both, although not extensively, and would not say that I notice an appreciable difference between them when equipped on my Makita, tbh. I originally loaded up on the blue Hybrid wool pads for use with a Flex 3401 that I purchased, but have found the amount of cut slightly disappointing on both the Flex and a rotary. Maybe I need more time behind the wheel with them, so to speak.

Curious though: how much downward pressure are you using with the blue Hybrid wool pads when equipped on a rotary, or the 3401 for that matter, and how much product are you using per section?
    Thanks for the response MattyL. I don't own a 3401 Forced Rotation polisher so my experience with the blue hybrid wool and Purple foamed wool pads are based only on my experience using them w/ the Dewalt 849x and the Flex PE-14 rotary polishers.

Personally, I think on a perfectly flat panel most microfiber cutting pads paired with a rupes or griots long-throw polisher will actually cut just as much if not a little bit more than the foamed wool/hybrid wool pad on a rotary polisher. But on rough correction jobs I truly believe the rotary is a little quicker for the cutting stage.

When using either the hybrid wool or the foamed wool pad, I tend to use around 1,000-1,400rpms on the rotary and I don't use much pressure. The only times I have the pad perfectly flat on a panel is when I am initially spreading the compound out across the area I am working and at the end of my section pass.

Once I've spread the product out across the panel at 600rpm with the pad face flat against the paint, I will bring my speed up to 1000-1400rpms.

I use the foamed/hybrid wool pads much like a traditional wool pad. I tilt the polisher at about a 10 degree angle to increase the amount of cut the pad can achieve which also leaves more buffer trails/holograms. Once the compound is nearly broken down or when the lubrication in the compound starts to dry up I will bring the pad back to flat for my last pass. Generally I would say I use no more than 5-10 pounds of pressure

How much product I use depends on the paint and the compound. I like using M100 for medium & hard paints. I think it's about the best bang for your buck compound on the market. Although it's a great value, I do tend to use a little more product than I do with other compounds. (approximately 3 nickle size drops)

One compound that I've really begun to love with these pads is Jescar Correcting Compound. I don't think it cuts as much as M100, but the lubricity of this compound makes it one of the best compounds I've used on the rotary. The Last Cut Compounding Glaze made by Jace Price has to take the cake for the best compound for rotary and foamed/hybrid wool pads. With both of the compound they are so lubricated that I can use 3 dime sized or slightly smaller drops for my working product. That said, the abrasives in both compounds start to diminish very quickly so unlike with M100, you really have to spread the product out evenly across your working area prior to turning the polisher up to your working speed if you want to get the best results.

If I'm removing sanding marks, I generally step up to the new LC Lambswool pad paired with either M101 or Menzerna SHC300

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the hybrid wool pads on flex 3401 I bough them to get extra cut with my flex because it was lacking on cut
    I used them extensively on removing sanding marks from up to 1500 with a breeze no struggle I couldn't be any more happier with them
    So my guess is that I will probably
    Be a lot better on rotary polisher
    I haven't tried purple foamed wool but I can vouch for the hybrid wool to be very good on cutting and removing defects with a breeze

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

7. Likes mwoywod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think the hybrids should take the rotary better because I believe they were developed specifically for the forced action machines, which obviously include the rotary component.

I am really loving the jescar compound as well. It’s ridiculous how well it finishes down. Here’s 3 section passes each with jescar compound followed by jescar micro finishing polish on a beat dark green 2001 f350 hood. G15 and LC orange/white thinpros respectively.

Cutting ability of the LC Purple foamed Wool vs LC Hybrid wool? (Rotary Specific)-img_1095-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Joe Catanzaro
    JCDetails (RI Based Mobile Detailer)
    http://jcdetails.com

9. Likes mwoywod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My LC thin foamed wool should be arriving today, along with the rupes UHS compound and 2 UHS pads that I've been intrigued by. Gonna have to give them a workout!

11. Thanks mwoywod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So the thin foamed wool pads arrived and damn...thin is barely a sufficient word. they really are 1/4" thick all together. Like thin enough that I'm thinking an interface pad is probably a good idea on anything other than big slabs of sheet metal.

But, the shorter nap definitely seems to make them more dense. I expected them to have a little 'fluff' to them like a wool pad just cut down, but they're closer to the density/stiffness of a foam pad with the texture of a wool/fiber pad. If that makes any sense.

I plan on trying them out on the same donor hood pictured above. Do you guys recommend priming them or just letting them do their thing with an appropriate amount of product for the section?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I wish they were a bit thicker. I would definitely use an interface pad. They are very similar to megs xtra-cut microfiber pads IMO and I didn't have a very good experience with either. I am not a fan of super thin pads though so my opinion is bias. I recommend priming then blowing them out with compressed air. The fibers are so short they matte down really easy so you don't want to use too much product. They also seem to work a little better on a standard 8mm DA vs long throw. Looking forward to hear what your experience is with them.