autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: Paint Sealant

Post Thanks / Like

Paint Sealant

I am doing some rust repair on my father's '99 gmc sierra . Just mainly rockers and cab corners. When it is done I want to detail the whole trk. the clear is dead so I want to wet sand with 3k and then poss.5k grit and then polish . My question is what is the best paint sealant (affordably) to use afterwards ? This trk. sets outside yr round is a daily driver and is parked under a tree every night . I would like something to retain and enhance gloss but yet help with contaminants such as sap and bird droppings that can be applied twice a yr. I will arm him with a quik detailer and micro fiber towels to clean in between washes . Which is also something that I would like you to recommend that will work well with sealant . Thanks in advance !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Sealant

Welcom to the forum!

As far as the sealants go, a lot of us have our favorites. Personally I really like Duragloss 111, Meguiar's M21 for traditional sealants, where you apply, let dry, and wipe off. For the more modern sealants I use Rupes 808, and Optimum Opti-Seal. 808 is a spray on sealant. Opti-Seal is applied with and applicator, but doesn't need buffing off - under most conditions. There have been times with OS that I needed to wipe after.

As far as I can tell, durability seems consistent across the board. I might give the edge to Duragloss 111 though.

3. Thanks caddy66 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sealant:
    http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-paint-guard-plus.html
    {IMO:
    After wet-sanding "dead" clear coat,
    you'll probably need a Sealant that,
    notably: goes-on/dries/cures "clear".}

QD:
    http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-acryl...sh-bundle.html
    {Ultima Acrylic Waterless Wash Concentrate
    also doubles as a high-end quick detailer...}

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

5. Thanks ski2 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply and the info . Thinking that the duragloss 111 sounds good . I will have a couple of more ?'s in the future if you are willing to offer advice that would be great! Since we all live in the rust belt I will have ?'s about keeping certain things tip top in the nasty weather. Thanks Again !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Sealant:
    http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-paint-guard-plus.html
    {IMO:
    After wet-sanding "dead" clear coat,
    you'll probably need a Sealant that,
    notably: goes-on/dries/cures "clear".}

QD:
    http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-acryl...sh-bundle.html
    {Ultima Acrylic Waterless Wash Concentrate
    also doubles as a high-end quick detailer...}

Bob
    Bob--How does UPG+ compare to FK1000p with regards to durability and protection from bird bombs and water spots??

8. Thanks caddy66 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Collinite 845 is another easy to apply sealant that will be very durable, not to mention looks good.

Aren't you a little worried that wet sanding an older truck with "dead" clear coat is a little overly aggressive? I understand the desire to restore the finish, but if the clear is 18 years old and never maintained, there might not be much of it left. Going a more gentle approach with a DA and a good compound/polish might be safer and still product good results.

I've seen GM cars from the same era that were not maintained and many had failing clear coat or it was on the verge of failure. Wet sanding might just take off what little is left.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

10. Thanks caddy66 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This will be wet sanded with 6000 grit on a DA with a backing pad so it shouldn't remove that much . 6000 grit is finer than notebook paper plus I will do a test panel first just to be sure .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caddy66 View Post
    This will be wet sanded with 6000 grit on a DA with a backing pad so it shouldn't remove that much . 6000 grit is finer than notebook paper plus I will do a test panel first just to be sure .
    Why not try a good compound or polish first? You might be really surprised with how well things turn out without sanding.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

13. Likes DaveT435 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be extremely careful wet sanding 18 year old paint, especially if it's been outside 24/7 it's entire life. You said there is visible dead paint on the surface, I have to wonder how much good clear is left. I agree with desertnate try a compound first. Are you using a DA? If so what kind?
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Why not try a good compound or polish first? You might be really surprised with how well things turn out without sanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I would be extremely careful wet sanding 18 year old paint, especially if it's been outside 24/7 it's entire life. You said there is visible dead paint on the surface, I have to wonder how much good clear is left. I agree with desertnate try a compound first. Are you using a DA? If so what kind?
    If dead paint means clear coat failure, wet sanding will not help. Any close up pictures of the hood?