autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wash car with 1 bucket and multiple mitts?

Hello,
    I am new to the detailing world and have enjoyed doing some correction on my cars. I greatly appreciate all the info i have receivedand have watched a ton of videos and read lots of topics on this forum. I have noticed that everyone is worried about rubbing dirt onto their cars paint when washing it. The 2 bucket method is better than one bucket, but isn't using multiple mitts the best. I would think one large bucket of shampoo and 4-5 good mitts could allow for 10 surface sides to clean car without having to put mitt back into any bucket at all. Simple use the mitt on a panel, flip and use on another then place aside and start over. Wouldn't this be the best way hands down? I now a few extra mitts adds cost, but so do the buckets and guards. After paint correction and sealant on my cars the last thing I want to do is wash it and cause damage. I don't even dry using towel, electric blower only. So my contact is minimal. Why wouldn't people prefer this over 2 bucket and wiping car dry, which could result in some light scratches. Where as, this technique IMO eliminates the dirty mitt, and no contact while drying. Nothing is perfect, but is it about selling buckets and grit guards? If so, why not sell more mitts? Just wondering what people are thinking....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wash car with 1 bucket and multiple mitts?

Did you just watch the video from Scott at Dallas Paint Correction and Auto Detailing, LOL!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Wash car with 1 bucket and multiple mitts?

Yup, that's what I do and have done for quite a while... My bucket washes include 11 mitts. [my 2 nasty duty yellow noodle mitts aren't pictured here]

A dirty mitt never touches the paint.
    I don't need a grit guard, just an extra bucket to toss my used mitts into and the hose nozzle to rinse them all clean after I'm done.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 3-4 mitts with a two bucket/grit guards. One for the roof/hood, one for each "top side" one for each "bottom side", and if the truck is especially dirty, one for the tailgate/bumpers. All in that order.

I find this method works very well for me.

And +1 on the blow dry. I always use my blower to dry, and just blot up what's left with a Cobra. I never wipe a drying towel over the truck.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

No, i juts though that if we use more mitts than we has less chance of dirt being rubbed on car. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks
    this way.

Post Thanks / Like

After watching Scott's video he agrees that the dirt goes to the bottom of the bucket, below the grit guard but when you go back into the bucket the dirt get back onto the mit...how does this happen while using a grit guard?

I do see/like/understand using multiple wash mits, it's like using the GD method but for traditional type washes.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

multiple buckets is soooo 2013!.. one wash mitt.. trigger garden hose.. soap in hand pump - wash panel - rinse off mitt - repeat.

But do whatever feels good for you.. it's making a dirty car clean again.. it's fun - do whatever the hell you want. It's the end result for me.. the journey is always changing

Post Thanks / Like

Love the 2013 comment, LOL!

I don't have a hose because we live in an apartment and have underground parking, so I've been doing RW & WW's for years now and about 2 weeks ago I got the Worx PowerShot, so I can now do traditional washes again when need be or want to. I have to have buckets, like 3 of them because of my situation. One bucket has soapy mix, the other is for dunking the wash mit clean and the 3rd one, yes a THIRD one, is for rinsing the entire car down.

Because my car is coated and has additional boosters applied to it, my car never gets too dirty, so my rinse bucket isn't too bad and if and when it does I will empty that dirty water and add fresh and clean new water when need be.

Each person has a different situation and I do agree about rinsing off the individual wash mits but they still need a good washing as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit that I'm moving more in the direction of one bucket with multiple mitts for my own cars. This really works only if you have one for each panel. It does, however, create more laundry.

(Sent via my mobile device...)

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    I have to admit that I'm moving more in the direction of one bucket with multiple mitts for my own cars. This really works only if you have one for each panel. It does, however, create more laundry.

(Sent via my mobile device...)
    Hey Kevin I have some things for you and Benjamin so hopefully you guys make it out to rise and drive next month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast