autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Screwed up big time. burned paint?

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I gooned up the trunk of a black 2005 Mazda 3 with a GG6, M101 on purple foamed wool. It's a bitter pill when ya see that paint on the pad. Scuffed/sanded/resprayed with Duplicolor rattle can products...Earl Scheib Quality results. Was trading car in so no big deal but still quite a crappy experience.

Subaru paint is especially delicate...
    So true...

I used a rotary since 1998 - never any issues. My first time with a PC 7424xp, green hex pad, and Ultimate Compound - Strike through.... It was on my neighbor's hot rod too...

Post Thanks / Like

I just looked at those pics again, hows the front bumper paint condition?

Post Thanks / Like

That totally sucks but a base AND clear repaint (w/ blend) is needed to fix that properly unfortunately. Not a cheap fix if done right. I bought a $2K ultrasonic paint depth gauge many years ago since I work on a lot of collector cars with questionable history. Got a call from a guy today that said he cut and polished his 2012 Yukon every 3 months since new, wonder that the paint readings on that car are going to be ; )

Post Thanks / Like

Looks as though you kept the polisher in one spot, or didn't move it much at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the responses. This is my first Subaru. I have been only been used to BMW, Honda, and Toyotas. I am just an enthusiast, not pro.

This is fortunately my own car which i had bought 3 hours prior to this happening. I really didn't think the paint was this thin but honestly i probably stayed in one spot too long. I can live with it as is for now since there are small blemishes all around the car. This is the reason why i don't like to buy new cars. So much heartache when i get that first scratch and the initial depreciation of a new car is something i have learned to ignore. I wish it was on the passenger side so i didn't have to look at it everytime i get in the car.

I really don't want to repaint this yet and honestly its not that noticeable unless you look directly at the panel. If i ever need another accident repair in the future then i will have them do this panel too.

I just polished the rest of the car today and no other problems. I was careful not to put so much pressure and used M204 with mild white cutting pad. This L fender and hood was the worst panel. I seems to be highway car since i could like 50 small rock chips on the hood. The bumper seems to have repainted recently bc its rock chip free, which doesn't make sense unless it was repainted.

In the mean time should i try to apply clear at least to protect the base coat? or just put a sealant over it?
    I know not to expect perfect results without a full respray but do you guys think putting clear on it will make it a little better or just make it worse?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I would at minimum seal what's left of the base with clear coat, use at minimum 2k clear, Amazon is a good source or auto body supply. Careful light coats, it loves to run, spray bombs are iffy. after cure and wetsand it may level out nice after machine polishing. Sounds like you may want to eventually refinish the hood. Clear bra is great if you do and plan to keep the car. You will find better satisfaction if a good body shop painter does the repairs.

Post Thanks / Like

How did you manage that? Where you polishing 1 spot for a long time or were you using it like normal? What polisher?

Post Thanks / Like

When I hit a swinging gate bar and put a big scratch in my hood, they did not even paint the entire hood. The fixed the spot, matched the paint, then clear coated the entire hood. It matched pretty well until I they had to redo because the repair was visible about 6 months later. I hit a deer a year later and that repair was excellent including matching paint and reforming front bumper.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry this happened. Did you try less aggressive procedures first? That was a pretty aggressive setup for a Suburu. Unfortunately many of us learn many lessons the hard way. Just have to look at this as a learning experience.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to see this man. Looking at the pictures is painful and I feel bad for you. Hopefully not a customer vehicle. I was on the fence about whether to purchase a paint gauge but now, I am all in.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast