autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 Show Car Glaze or can I use another glaze?

Hi Mike,

Thanks in advance for your time and help. Quick question: I've always seen you recommend Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #7 as one of the steps to restore SSP (single stage paint) due to the nourishing oils found in the product. Can other glazes such as Pinnacle XMT Glaze be used as an acceptable alternative? I ask because I purchased a few bottles before the XMT line was discontinued and would like to use it in this way if it will provide the same benefit as #7.

Many thanks Mike!
    ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 Show Car Glaze or can I use another glaze?

IMO:
    All other pure polishes pale in
    comparison to Meguiar's Mirror
    Glaze #7 Show Car Glaze.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I've been trying to restore the SS paint on 1979 F100 Explorer using #7. You really can see the paint 'plump up' or 'swell' for lack of a better term. I put 5 to 7 heavy layers on each panel and left it overnight each time.

Mike is not kidding when he says to use cotton towels when removing #7. None of MF's would barely shift the M07. I'm glad I kept all my old Megs Plush towels and the DF Concours cotton towels I used to use prior to good MF towels being on the market. Need towels with some serious bite to get the M07 off.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob I don't think XMT glaze is considered a pure polish. I know it has very fine abrasives and Carnauba wax in it, but wondering if it also has the 'nourishing' capabilities of #7.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Bob I don't think XMT glaze is considered a pure polish. I know it has very fine abrasives and Carnauba wax in it, but wondering if it also has the 'nourishing' capabilities of #7.

ScottH
    scott, try PM'ing Nick he may have more insight and helpful information for you in regards to XMT products since it was one of Bob Mckee's product lines...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    IMO:
    All other pure polishes pale in
    comparison to Meguiar's Mirror
    Glaze #7 Show Car Glaze.

Bob

I don't believe anything other than Megs #7 will or can do what Megs #7 will & can do.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Mike Phillips

Hi Mike,

Can other glazes such as Pinnacle XMT Glaze be used as an acceptable alternative?
    This is another example of the confusion the word

Glaze

causes in the car detailing world. Pinnacle XMT Carnauba Glaze is not a glaze and it's also not a finishing wax or show car wax.

It's a cleaner/wax.

The key thing about #7 is it's been around as long as early car paints were invented. To my knowledge, no other product that was around in the early days of the automobile are still around.

Barry Meguiar told me what makes this product unique is the unique oil base that his grandfather formulated back in 1901 when they introduced thei first products for cleaning and polishing finished wood furniture.

Early cars were painted with the same coatings used to paint or "finish" fine furniture.

Later down the road companies started making paints that could be sprayed and would dry fast for use on an assembly line.

So there's history to the product and it's use over the last 100 years that is hard to replace with other products simply because they don't have this unique oil base or the history to go with it.

That saiid, I know people have used other oily products to work on antique single stage paint and a lot of guy's compound and polish old single stage paint and don't know about the #7 or don't care.

I never wrote my articles for these guys... I wrote it for people that drag something out of a garage or barn and it's important to them to do everything they can to preserve the original paint on their barn or garage find.

If you read the third paragraph in my original article on how to use #7 you will see the word

Important

Is in red bold type. Read that paragraph. If it describes you then you want #7 and you want to do the #7 rub down technique to your cars paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. Your indication of XMT Finishing Glaze as a cleaner/wax sealed the deal (no pun intended). So clearly it's not the same as #7 despite "glaze" in the name. #7 will be in my next AG order then. P.S. Yes I read the article - very informative as always!

Side Note: I suspect McKee's Jeweling Wax is the successor to XMT Finishing Glaze, or as close to it in McKees current lineup. BTW: I've been very happy with XMT FG, so much so that I bought 3-4 bottles before it was discontinued.

Thanks again Mike and other AG members,

Scott

Mike Phillips

Thanks Mike. Your indication of XMT Finishing Glaze as a cleaner/wax sealed the deal (no pun intended). So clearly it's not the same as #7 despite "glaze" in the name. #7 will be in my next AG order then. P.S. Yes I read the article - very informative as always!
    Thank you sir!

Side Note: I suspect McKee's Jeweling Wax is the successor to XMT Finishing Glaze, or as close to it in McKees current lineup.

No. The McKee's Jeweling Wax is NOTHING like any product in the old XMT line of abrasive compounds, polishes and cleaner/waxes.

The term jeweling wax is a term I coined as a new category of products because I felt it was completely unfair to lump products like the McKee's Jeweling Wax with other cleaner/waxes like Nu Finish.

Both Nu Finish and McKee's Jeweling Wax are both --> cleaner/waxes except you could NEVER machine jewel paint to a pristine show car finish with a cleaner/wax like Nu Finish but you can with a cleaner/wax like McKee's Jeweling Wax and it all has to do with the thing I'm always talking about here in the forum world and the facebook world when to comes to polishing scratch-sensitive clearcoat paints and that's

Abrasive Technology

I created a poll asking people what they thought was the most important factor when it comes to polishing paint and the majority of people have replied

Technique

Technique is an ego-driven answer, it means it's all about them. I can take someone that has NEVER machine polished paint before which means they have ZERO technique and yet they can get as good of results as me or any other famous detailer like Joe Fernandez, and that's with zero technique.

So "no" McKee's Jeweling Wax is nothing like Pinnacle XMT Finishing Glaze.

Post Thanks / Like

When I voted technique in the poll, I did it from the point of view of respecting the knowledge/understanding/experience and attention to detail. I didn't mean to imply that famous detailers were doing something that couldn't be done by anybody else, nor that it could not be learned by anybody, even by themselves, given time. I do think that the famous detailers, you/Kevin Brown/Remmy Doyle/Gary Dean/Joe Fernandes/etc. are looked upon as the pinnacle of the detailer's craft for a reason, and that is because you/they have a deeper understanding of what is going on than a newbie like myself. This is why you can teach a detailing class, and I would take the detailing class.If your knowledge, experience, and understanding (=technique) were not something better than what I knew, there wouldn't be any reason for me to take your class, and I do believe that there is ample reason to do so (or classes from any of the other detailers mentioned above). People go to detailing classes to improve their "technique", they don't go to look at abrasives.

As for your example above, your taking a newbie off the street with zero technique, and get them to produce a show quality finish as good as you can is an example of technique transfer, and the reason preople come to your caass. Do you think that somebody, with no technique, just off the street, just give him a polisher and some product, without instruction from anybody, can produce the same results as you or any of the other famous detailers? I do not. WHether it be from Youtube video, your books, your classes, or even some other detailer who does a good job. some instruction is necessary, even using the most basic of polishers. Things like slow arm speeds, using the crosshatch pattern, how many passes to do, polishing until the DAT abrasive breaks down, etc. All of that, in my mind, is technique. To a person off the street, none of this is obvious (=no technique).