autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Stain Theory? Alkaline and Acid Based Stains

Hello again. So as I look more into stains and chemicals I am seeing things like Tannin, Alkaline, and Acidic.

Where I am getting lost is what to use on each type. Like for example I was thinking I would use an Alkaline Cleaner on an Acidic based stain. However I am seeing that you want to use a Alkaline Cleaner on an Alkaline stain, I guess the idea with this is that is that it will reactivate the stain due to the same PH and be suspended in the cleaner better and easier to remove.

I thought you wanted to use the opposite of what the stain was.

So with these two different things I am seeing I am not sure what to go by now. The using the same method kinda makes sense due to the reactivating part. But the other opposite method makes sense as it counteracts what is there and breaks it down.

sooo as you can see I am really trying to figure this out.

so far I believe that stuff like dirt, grease, and oil are more on the acidic side and thought I would use a more alkaline chemical to remove them .. but now I am not so sure.

also I am sure that something to do with this is the reason why some APC or Degreasers can set a stain and would like to know more about all of this to avoid setting and being able to get the best results.

any help with this would be great.. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stain Theory? Alkaline and Acid Based Stains

Here is the rule of thumg. If the stain is organic, you want to use an alkaline cleaner. If the stain is mineral (like salt) you want to use an acid cleaner. If the stain contains strong drying ability (like wine, coffee, fruit juice and the like) you want to use a tanin cleaner.

One important aspect is to never use heat on stains unless you have to. Many type of stains are set by heat. So you could make the stain permanent if you are not careful. That is why I cringe everytime I see some write they tried to remove a stain using a steamer. For many stains it works great, but for some you might make them permanent.

Post Thanks / Like

GREAT question!

Many janitorial supply stores have stain removal product sheets available from different manufacturers. This is NOT to say use their products, but may give ya a head start of what removes what.

Make sense? Can't seem get my fingers and brain to work together this morning (LOL).

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Here is the rule of thumg. If the stain is organic, you want to use an alkaline cleaner. If the stain is mineral (like salt) you want to use an acid cleaner. If the stain contains strong drying ability (like wine, coffee, fruit juice and the like) you want to use a tanin cleaner.

One important aspect is to never use heat on stains unless you have to. Many type of stains are set by heat. So you could make the stain permanent if you are not careful. That is why I cringe everytime I see some write they tried to remove a stain using a steamer. For many stains it works great, but for some you might make them permanent.

any idea how far down on acidic would be safe to use on Auto Carpet for dye? or the other way around if it applies? I have seen stuff online about Folex yellowing carpet and Its at a 8.5 Alkaline and APC is even higher at 12.5 alkaline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    GREAT question!

Many janitorial supply stores have stain removal product sheets available from different manufacturers. This is NOT to say use their products, but may give ya a head start of what removes what.

Make sense? Can't seem get my fingers and brain to work together this morning (LOL).

Bill
    I might have to look to see if I can find anything about a chart or something that would say what is for what. Although I havent been real lucky looking for it online as of yet.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL I should not write messages in the middle of the night when I am half asleep... so many typos

As far as acid goes, my go to is Vinegar. There is also extra strenght vinegar that contains about twice as much Acetic acid as the regular vinegar. I don't think I would go stronger than that. The usual stain you will get is salt, and hot water and vinegar mix will remove salt with no problem. As for alkaline cleaners, I don't know what type you use but for me it goes like this:

Normal cleaner: Meguiar's APC 10:1. If it's not strong enough I try Meguiar's APC 4:1 if that is still not good enough I try Meguiar's Super Degreaser 4:1. It it's a stain, not just normal grime and dirt, I use either Shout or Resolve fabric stain cleaner (the stuff for laundry) and treat the stain that way if it's organic. If all else fails, I will try my steamer as a last resort. But so far if a stain won't come out with all the previous steps, the steamer has never been able to fix a stain I could not remove by other means. Steamers are great for things like grease, it melts it and make it easier to remove.