autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do I have to remove freshly applied Cleaner Wax in order to Apply Finishing Wax instead?

Hi Mike et. al.,

I hope I didn't screw up too bad. After 10 hours polishing my hood and learning to use my Porter Cable DA, I accidentally used cleaner wax (Mothers California Gold Brazilian Cleaner Wax) instead of a Finishing Wax. Note I did not work the Cleaner Wax...I simply applied like Finishing Wax, let dry, and buffed off. It looks pretty good. But I was concerned I might have introduced some scratches with the Cleaner Wax.

So, which of these should I do?

1. Do a Finish Wax over top of the Cleaner Wax?

2. Strip the Cleaner Wax with paint prep and then do a Finish Wax?

3. Chill out man... you don't have to do anything. Besides your paint is 25 years old

Thanks!
    ~g

**EDIT: It looks like the Cleaner Wax introduced swirls Do I need to do a full Megs 205? Or is there a lighter treatment that would be acceptable. In other words, what would be the quickest way to remove the swirls that the cleaner wax introduced?

***EDIT 2: Thanks everybody! I have decided to chill There is still a long way to go. I'll probably apply Megs Finishing Wax since I'll use that on the rest of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do I have to remove freshly applied Cleaner Wax in order to Apply Finishing Wax instead?

Number 3. If it looks good leave it alone or add another layer of wax. I would not try to strip and rewax as you are increasing the chance of inducing swirls.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do I have to remove freshly applied Cleaner Wax in order to Apply Finishing Wax instead?

Thanks! I thought something looked funky when I was done today because my polish looked better than the wax.

It looks like the Cleaner Wax introduced swirls. Bummer...

Do I need to do a full Megs 205 (which was my final cut)? Or is there a lighter treatment that would be acceptable. In other words, what would be the quickest way to remove the swirls that the cleaner wax introduced?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Greg, all due respect, you spent 10 hours polishing a hood? Do you see scratches or swirls? And I agree with Supercharged75 #3.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well... I'm getting quicker lol. It was my first ever polishing job and I was using the Junkman's method. The hood was pretty rough on a 25 year old black car.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of car, and is it original paint? That can be useful intel.

Post Thanks / Like

No...you do not have to remove the
    Cleaner Wax: go ahead and apply
    the Finishing Wax right on top of it.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gregkise View Post
    Hi Mike et. al.,

I hope I didn't screw up too bad. After 10 hours polishing my hood and learning to use my Porter Cable DA, I accidentally used cleaner wax (Mothers California Gold Brazilian Cleaner Wax) instead of a Finishing Wax. Note I did not work the Cleaner Wax...I simply applied like Finishing Wax, let dry, and buffed off. It looks pretty good. But I was concerned I might have introduced some scratches with the Cleaner Wax.

So, which of these should I do?

1. Do a Finish Wax over top of the Cleaner Wax?

2. Strip the Cleaner Wax with paint prep and then do a Finish Wax?

3. Chill out man... you don't have to do anything. Besides your paint is 25 years old

Thanks!
    ~g

**EDIT: It looks like the Cleaner Wax introduced swirls Do I need to do a full Megs 205? Or is there a lighter treatment that would be acceptable. In other words, what would be the quickest way to remove the swirls that the cleaner wax introduced?
    #3!!! Chill out man!....LOL If you want you could apply the finishing wax on top. But if your ride looks awesome you could always do it in the future. As for the cleaner wax introducing swirls...I find that hard to believe. My guess you still need to get the compound/polishing down pat. But again, if you are happy with the way it looks now....you could always re-polish your hood and do it all over again. But you spent 10 hours so CHILL!!!!.....LOL
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

1995 Miata. It was in FL and had loads of bird poop etching. The paint was ok... I decided I'd try to make the paint look as good as possible given the myriad sins. I don't intend to repaint, but am using the car to learn how to do the best finish possible with what I have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do I have to remove freshly applied Cleaner Wax in order to Apply Finishing Wax instead?-img_2256-jpg   Do I have to remove freshly applied Cleaner Wax in order to Apply Finishing Wax instead?-img_2258-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

^^^No wonder the car/hood's
    got some swirls, sins, and such...
    it's laying upside down!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast