autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New car, new to detailing- need advice

Just purchased a new 2017 Cruze in Tungsten metalic, and want to keep it in great shape. It is a daily driver, but that doesn't mean I don't want to take the time and effort to keep it looking new. I'm new to detailing, but not new to maintaining a car. Since this is my first new car, I want to do things right. I have some detailing materials, and an understanding of the process, but am in search of some guidance. Up to this time, I've done everything by hand, and am about to purchase a DA. either the PC 7424xp or the Griot's 6" with pads. I also use Poorboy's products, currently have their wash, Blackhole, EP sealnt, and liquid Natty's Blue. Also MF towles and clay bar and clay sponge.

My biggest question is the selection of pads to purchase, and which DA. Finish on the car is excellent, but I realize over time and through driving etc that will change. What pads would you recommend to start with, and are there other products you would recommend to care for the finish above the Poorboy's?The car does get washed weekly, and I plan on a full detail monthly as the car is always outside. Thanks for your time.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New car, new to detailing- need advice

Looking at purchasing a new car. Just curious, did anyone ever ask the dealer not to wax the car before you pick it up as I would like to detail it myself. What would be a recommended process - Pinnacle cleansing lotion then a coat of liquid souvran wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autogeek. I happen to use Lake Country pads. Whichever pads you pick, get plenty. Changing pads often will make the job go better.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwukitsch View Post
    Looking at purchasing a new car. Just curious, did anyone ever ask the dealer not to wax the car before you pick it up as I would like to detail it myself. What would be a recommended process - Pinnacle cleansing lotion then a coat of liquid souvran wax?
    When I got my new truck a couple of moths ago, I told them not to touch it....don't even look at it....and they were like " we have to" and I was like " no you don't" but ....but nothing.... ok then....then they were nice enough to give me an extra tank of gas in place of not cleaning it....

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruze2017 View Post
    Just purchased a new 2017 Cruze in Tungsten metalic, and want to keep it in great shape. It is a daily driver, but that doesn't mean I don't want to take the time and effort to keep it looking new. I'm new to detailing, but not new to maintaining a car. Since this is my first new car, I want to do things right. I have some detailing materials, and an understanding of the process, but am in search of some guidance. Up to this time, I've done everything by hand, and am about to purchase a DA. either the PC 7424xp or the Griot's 6" with pads. I also use Poorboy's products, currently have their wash, Blackhole, EP sealnt, and liquid Natty's Blue. Also MF towles and clay bar and clay sponge.

My biggest question is the selection of pads to purchase, and which DA. Finish on the car is excellent, but I realize over time and through driving etc that will change. What pads would you recommend to start with, and are there other products you would recommend to care for the finish above the Poorboy's?The car does get washed weekly, and I plan on a full detail monthly as the car is always outside. Thanks for your time.
    Hi! Welcome to the forums!! since your car is a daily driver and unless the dealer has not installed their lovely (and complementary BTW) swirls and scratches I would the following:

1. I would skip the DA purchase. This is going to set you back a several of hundred of dollars.
    2. I would instead buy more high quality microfiber towels.
    3. Buy high quality chemicals i.e. soaps, dressings, (wax, sealants or coatings), APC's, degreasers, etc
    4. Buy detailing tools that you will use every car wash such as brushes, wash mitts, grit guards, buckets, high quality sprayer. If you have a power washer maybe pick up a foam cannon. If you don't have a power washer then buy a foam gun.

why? On my experience I only use my DA about once a year or so to apply sealant and or do the occasional scratch correction. Keep in mind that I am not a full time detailer. Other than that I don't use every wash. You kind of can't and should not use it to polish often.

What I learn is proper washing technique using quality products will help keep your car looking great. To me a DA is a useful tool when you actually need it. Kind of like surgery. If you have to then do it if you don't then don't.

I know you have some of these items but I would encourage you to buy more of the items named above to keep your car looking great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan View Post
    Hi! Welcome to the forums!! since your car is a daily driver and unless the dealer has not installed their lovely (and complementary BTW) swirls and scratches I would the following:

1. I would skip the DA purchase. This is going to set you back a several of hundred of dollars.
    3. Buy high quality chemicals i.e. soaps, dressings, (wax, sealants or coatings), APC's, degreasers, etc
    4. Buy detailing tools that you will use every car wash such as brushes, wash mitts, grit guards, buckets, high quality sprayer. If you have a power washer maybe pick up a foam cannon. If you don't have a power washer then buy a foam gun.

why? On my experience I only use my DA about once a year or so to apply sealant and or do the occasional scratch correction. Keep in mind that I am not a full time detailer. Other than that I don't use every wash. You kind of can't and should not use it to polish often.

What I learn is proper washing technique using quality products will help keep your car looking great. To me a DA is a useful tool when you actually need it. Kind of like surgery. If you have to then do it if you don't then don't.

I know you have some of these items but I would encourage you to buy more of the items named above to keep your car looking great.
    Id argue for a da. You can do alot with it and its basically need for paint correction
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO!

GET A DA PERIOD! I am at a loss as to why you would NOT get a DA. Doing detailing by hand SUCKS and takes a lot of work. The DA's you are looking at are a small investment for a long term positive result.

You can't go wrong with either DA the PC7424XP (I have) or the Griot's Garage 6". Most detailers will lean to the GG6" as it is a more powerful machine than the PC and is only a few bucks more. Additionally, it comes with a lifetime warranty.

As for Poorboy's products, they are very good! I use their Natty's Blue liquid wax and Sealant wax combo. You can't go wrong with their products. The Black Hole IMO is not necessary. As for Pads I would look into the Lake Country Pads.

The Pad size is relevant in this case. DO NOT get a backing plate or Pads bigger than 5 or 5.5". Anything bigger is not really effective as the DA's are designed for those sizes. I use my PC as my mini-polisher and use 4" and 3" Pads to detail. The Pads are Lake Country's.

But out of everything I have discussed here, IMO the best thing you can do is a proper wash and dry technique for your ride. I would get a 2-bucket with 2 grit guards and the proper MF towels to tackle the basic wash and dry technique. Additionally, I would get Mike Phillips How to book of Show Car Detailing as that will give you all the information you need to start detailing.

And the MOST IMPORTANT of ALL.....HAVE FUN!!!!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan View Post

1. I would skip the DA purchase. This is going to set you back a several of hundred of dollars. EDIT (FOR NOW)

Thank you Kamakaz1961 and bill1234 for keeping me in check.

I goofed up on my original post. 1. I didn't answer the OP's questions and 2. I didn't mean to come across saying not to ever buy a DA.

To clarify my original post I was just trying to give you my opinion on why you should DEFER the purchase. So here is a second stab at it. You are only going to use the DA for correction, applying waxes and or sealants. One of these you cannot do every wash for obvious reasons. And unless you're applying a new coat of wax every time you wash your car then you won't use the DA often either.

Unless money is no obstacle I would defer the DA purchase and focus on the essentials first by keeping your ride as swirl/scratch free as possible by using quality products that will help your washing technique and efforts.

Good quality microfibers will cost you at least 50 bucks for a solid starter set.
    Wheel Brushes 20
    Tire brushes 15
    Wheel brushes to get in to hard to reach areas and spokes 30
    grit guards 20
    buckets 10
    This is already $145 not counting other miscellaneous items such as wash mitts, carpet scrubbers, vent brushes, bucket dollies etc. etc.

Knowing what I know today I would defer the DA purchase. ***Unless the following apply:
    A.You have these items already.
    B.Money is obstacle
    C.Your new car paint looks like crap

That is my opinion.

To answer you question go with the GC6. Less vibration than the PC in my opinion. Pads I would get Lake Country (4) white pads (3) orange pads and (2) black pads. That would be my ideal starter pad set for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Welcome to AGO!

GET A DA PERIOD! I am at a loss as to why you would NOT get a DA. Doing detailing by hand SUCKS and takes a lot of work. The DA's you are looking at are a small investment for a long term positive result.

You can't go wrong with either DA the PC7424XP (I have) or the Griot's Garage 6". Most detailers will lean to the GG6" as it is a more powerful machine than the PC and is only a few bucks more. Additionally, it comes with a lifetime warranty.

As for Poorboy's products, they are very good! I use their Natty's Blue liquid wax and Sealant wax combo. You can't go wrong with their products. The Black Hole IMO is not necessary. As for Pads I would look into the Lake Country Pads.

The Pad size is relevant in this case. DO NOT get a backing plate or Pads bigger than 5 or 5.5". Anything bigger is not really effective as the DA's are designed for those sizes. I use my PC as my mini-polisher and use 4" and 3" Pads to detail. The Pads are Lake Country's.

But out of everything I have discussed here, IMO the best thing you can do is a proper wash and dry technique for your ride. I would get a 2-bucket with 2 grit guards and the proper MF towels to tackle the basic wash and dry technique. Additionally, I would get Mike Phillips How to book of Show Car Detailing as that will give you all the information you need to start detailing.

And the MOST IMPORTANT of ALL.....HAVE FUN!!!!
    I agree with everything in bold. I'm not a fan of Poorboy's. Also you mean paint correction by hand sucks. Yes it sucks. Detailing is not just using the DA. Yes I know I am very literal. I men no harm That's what I get for being an attorney. It's a curse I know lol

Post Thanks / Like

sportsfan NO WORRIES!! Thanks for your clarification! I had a feeling that is not what you meant! Either way your advice is sound! Keep on rocking!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies. The reason i asked about a DA is two fold, paint correction by hand does suck, and I live in the flight path of a major airport, and two joint service airfields. Jet fuel particles do a number on paint, so I'll be doing paint correction of one form or another sooner rather than later. I have most of the small detailing tools I need, so a DA is not an impulse buy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast