autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Abrasive Particle Size (SMAT vs Fine/Finishing Polish)

The other day I was experimenting with a panel that was polished with Ultimate Compound on an Orange Hexlogic Pad to see how much gloss could be added by following up with SwirlX. I did a tape line and to my surprise could not tell a bit of difference. I could understand if the paint was a light color but was working on LotusRacingGreen which is a dark-mid tone metallic green that I thought might appreciate the added step.

Then I began to wander about all the previous vehicles I did exclusively with UC and how they all looked LSP ready. Is the SMAT in UC really so micro that it is comparable in particle size to finishing/fine polishes? My previous assumption was that product “order of aggressiveness” had a correlation with the size of the abrasive particles. But now im thinking that these products all share the same micro particle size with the product variation being in the Amount of abrasives (as well as the contributing ingredients).

Another factor to this situation is my technique. I typically start with firm pressure through 70% of buffing cycle, then back off a bit, then give it a sprits of final inspection(M34) to extend the buffing cycle with a couple final passes with very light pressure. This surly gives me a more refined finish than someone using a more aggressive pad with constant pressure through the cycle.

Anyone’s thoughts on this topic or the following questions would be much appreciated.

1. Do Ultimate Compound & SwirlX have the same SMAT abrasive particle size? How about UltimatePolish? Yes, I know UP has all the oils and stuff in it as well but im talking exclusively about abrasives here…

2. Is the SMAT in these products(UC & SwirlX) so micro that is comparable in particle size to finishing/fine polishes? For example: If I use UC on a “finishing” pad(black/white/red) with light pressure would the resulting finish be comparable to the same technique using a product labeled as finishing/fine polish?

NOTE: This post refers to Meguiar's products because that is what i use, but my same thoughts apply to similar SMAT products like the Griot's Boss line.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Abrasive Particle Size (SMAT vs Fine/Finishing Polish)

I remember Michael Stoops mentioning that these SMAT abrasives had their own abrasive spec. For instance, M105, and Ultimate Compound share a similar, or maybe even same grain, but different lubricant. The same was said for M101, and White Wax - with the obvious differences.

What that tells me is that the abrasive load for M105, and M101 are not the same.

I would imagine M205 would feature and even more refined grain.