autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating V1 or V2?

So pretty much I see that the main difference is that the V2 is supposed to have a longer working time. No idea how the working time is with V1 as I have never used it before. I am thinking about getting this and trying it out.

Has anyone used either of these? Know if the longevity is there? ease of application?

also a pretty interesting thing I see .. the 8oz V1 says can coat up to 25 cars.... but the 4oz can only do up to 5. Isn't there something a little off there?? sooo which one is off the V1 with 25 cars or the V2 with 5 cars?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating V1 or V2?

also I forgot to ask... sorry for another post .. wont let me edit it at this time. Do you really need to use the Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish to prep the paint or would something like an IPA wipe down work for it?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RMarkJr View Post

So pretty much I see that the main difference is that the V2 is supposed to have a longer working time. No idea how the working time is with V1 as I have never used it before. I am thinking about getting this and trying it out.

Has anyone used either of these? Know if the longevity is there? ease of application?

Very easy to use and you can get a year easy out of the coating. I think the webpage for this product says up to 2 or 3 years but the BIG PICTURE is no matter what you put on your car's paint you need to maintain the finish by washing it carefully.

Read this,

How to wash a coated car - The Gentle Approach for Washing a Car by Mike Phillips

also a pretty interesting thing I see .. the 8oz V1 says can coat up to 25 cars.... but the 4oz can only do up to 5. Isn't there something a little off there?? sooo which one is off the V1 with 25 cars or the V2 with 5 cars?
    Sounds like fuzzy math...

I've never counted how many cars I can get out of a bottle of anything?

Just apply a thin coat as that's all you need when working with paint coatings and how many cars you can get from any brand of wax, sealant or coating has to do with the size of the vehicle being detailed and the person's efficiency to apply a thin application.

also I forgot to ask... sorry for another post .. wont let me edit it at this time.

Do you really need to use the Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish to prep the paint or would something like an IPA wipe down work for it?

You can do an IPA wipe down
    Wash with a detergent soap
    Use another company's panel wipe

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating V2 and love it. You can get 5 mid sized vehicles coated with a 4 oz. bottle. A Little goes a long way with this product. How long it lasts all depends on how you maintain the coating. The PBL Diamond Coating Booster and PBL Diamond Coating Detailer are perfect products to maintain the coating.

2011 Grand Sport Corvette coated with the PBL Diamond Paint Coating V2.

Pinnacle Black Label Collection

Post Thanks / Like

As a Pinnacle lover, I have to admit that black label coating is not good enough for pinnacle name. It's look extremely glossy and mirror like but durability is not with this products. I try both surface coating and paint coating V.2, both of them can't hold it water beading property more than 3 months in my country, while all other coating from Japan and Taiwan with the same care and same wash method can last up over 2 years easily. That is why you will need thier booster or their detailers to frequently boost up their property.

I will say that the protection are on the lower level compare to other coatings that I use as well, bird bomb and tree zap loving to destroy black label coating. It's the truth and I try them several times on so many car and now I give up on them. By the way their Synergy wax is excellent, the most glossy and most durable wax I ever used.

Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating V1 or V2?

Quote Originally Posted by Valky View Post
    As a Pinnacle lover, I have to admit that black label coating is not good enough for pinnacle name. It's look extremely glossy and mirror like but durability is not with this products. I try both surface coating and paint coating V.2, both of them can't hold it water beading property more than 3 months in my country, while all other coating from Japan and Taiwan with the same care and same wash method can last up over 2 years easily. That is why you will need thier booster or their detailers to frequently boost up their property.

I will say that the protection are on the lower level compare to other coatings that I use as well, bird bomb and tree zap loving to destroy black label coating. It's the truth and I try them several times on so many car and now I give up on them. By the way their Synergy wax is excellent, the most glossy and most durable wax I ever used.
    Pretty much agree with this guy 100%. I bought into this system because of the no hassle reviews - but quite frankly - it's wiped out on the lower panels after a month of not washing in PA rain. And, I've layered it, used the coating booster - etc... In snow/salt - good luck.

Same thing with the coating booster. I guess you could use it after every wash - but what's the point? Quite frankly, I've had better results from just washing the coating with HydroFoam - opposed the the performance of the original coating.

It's kind of frustrating, because the stuff isn't super cheap - and I could have just slapped some Collinite on it for a lot less and experienced a lot better performance IMO.

So, as someone who gave this product more than a fair chance (and doesn't sell it) - I'd have to disagree it matters how you maintain it. Maybe if you apply it to your show car and drive it in the rain once every 6 months - it will hold up beautifully. For for real daily driver cars - it's just not worth it. Get yourself some Collinite & Sonax Brilliant Shine QD for under $50 & you will beat the pants off the performance of this Pinnacle system.

And, I have to say this even though I'm prolly going to get beat up for it, if your a pro detailer and selling this stuff (or similar) installed as a coating - I think you are doing your customer a dis-service. I know if I paid to have this coating installed - I'd be quite disappointed by month 2 or 3. I'm putting this out there because there seems to be a crowd that sings the praise of this (and similar products) - and honestly - I'm not sure what they are thinking? But, I have no incentive - so I'm telling you my opinion & experience.

Now, I will say - if you apply the coating to areas like the hood/roof that don't get as much (if any) road sludge splashed on them - it does hold up pretty well. But, so do a lot of waxes / sealants - so I can't really say this is any type of advantage.

On the other hand, Synergy holds up extremely well. So, my recommendation would just be to avoid the coating and get Synergy - if you want something with coating like properties that is easy to apply

Post Thanks / Like

Swanic you should add the final result of durability of this product on your thread, a short one to conclude it would be ok, to people to findout. There are so many pro installer who use this coating, and none ever success with longevity test on this coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Valky View Post
    Swanic you should add the final result of durability of this product on your thread, a short one to conclude it would be ok, to people to findout. There are so many pro installer who use this coating, and none ever success with longevity test on this coating.
    The problem is I traded in the original vehicle & replaced it with a new vehicle - but did use the same coating in vehicle #2.

The thing is, the coating gets a lot of "feel good" initial points:

1. Easy to apply

2. Looks great

3. Initial beading / hydrophobic properties are very good

4. Cost effective because many applications per bottle

So, I can see how a detailer would be attracted to this product...

The funny thing is, I went about a month after applying the coating booster / washing & PBL v 2.0 was dead on the lower panels.

Did the same thing, except I washed with Hydrofoam - and the beading was quite good a month later / similar conditions.

So, I'd have to say - Synergy and Hydrofoam are winners & PBL 2.0 paint coating & booster are loosers IME / IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post

<snip>
    4. Cost effective because many applications per bottle
    I have a hard time when people bring this one up. McKee's 37 is the same size bottle with about the applications per bottle, yet is priced significantly less.

From what you reported the same issues plague both coatings (water behavior on lower doors), although I've seen much better durability from the McKee's. I was looking to move "up" to the PBL coating once I used up my McKee's stock, but feedback like yours is starting to point me towards Optimum or Gtechniq. I appreciate the honest feedback.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Desernate, Optimum and Gtechniq is a very good choice. I used both of them and they are much better in term of durability, Gtechniq is harder to use but if you have experience with coating, it will not be a big problem to learn.

As I am Pinnacle guy, I am honestly say PBL coating is a no no product for durability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast