autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need SERIOUS help with bugs!

I have recently gotten several details (with more to come) in an area that is plagued by these bugs that LOOK like mosquitoes, SWARM like mosquitoes, but are not mosquitoes. Any how, the cars I'm getting have absolutely no wax protection at all and these flying menaces are literally CEMENTED to the front ends, windshields and all forward surfaces of the cars.

Washing won't touch them, neither does an APC. I even tried Meguiar's Acid Free-Wheel/Tire Cleaner with little results. Using a compound on a microfiber cloth even has little effect.

Is there something I can use to help rid myself of these 'cement bugs' before they ruin my reputation?
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need SERIOUS help with bugs!

Pressure washer and a good bug remover soap.Have you tried poorboys bug squash straight with a bug brick.If so pm me and I will give you the name of another much stronger bug apc.Pressure washer is key.

Post Thanks / Like

Bug Squash

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like love bug season we used to get in Florida. Another vote for Poorboys bug squash. Stuffs legit.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

no pressure washer available and I haven't tried any bug uhhspecific cleaners yet. I wanted to get a consensus of what the best is so I can stock up
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

I pre soak with meguiars super degreaser and pressure wash most off but with no pressure washer it could be a lot of work. I like stoners tarminator bug and tar remover and also use the Pinnacle safe scrub bug and tar sponge soaked in warm water with my car soap and it does an awesome job. Just throwin a few things out there hopefully it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a hot water/ steam pressure washer. There isn't a bug on the face of the earth that can withstand it....great on oil, grease, tar, diesel, hydro oil etc.....you name it and I can clean it off....even road paint comes off...
    Big investment but worth every penny if you detail or like me have many BIG vehicles and heavy equipment to clean weekly. If you can only clean by hand then it's allot of work even with dedicated bug removal products..
    Try pre soaking with high pressure hose nozzle, hand washer, apply dedicated bug removal product and continue to repeat until clean....AG sell a really nice bug removal block, stiff yellow cell foam block bug eraser...Works really good imho, try one i think it will help you out allot if only hand removal of bugs is your only option..
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Have any pictures of these bugs? We have something similar here, but they usually clean off somewhat easily. Mike Phillips has suggested draping a soaking towel over an area covered with bugs before. The towel will hold water on the paint softening up the bugs. If those bugs have been on there a long time, the physical remains of them will come off, but there's probably some etching left behind. Some of the bugs we have, it takes very little time for them to etch paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Turns out these things are 'Mayflies' or 'Canadian Soldiers.' And the closer you get to Lake Erie, the more prevalent they get.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post

Turns out these things are 'Mayflies' or 'Canadian Soldiers.' And the closer you get to Lake Erie, the more prevalent they get.
    Powerwasher works well getting these creatures off. And the fish smell they give off. Hate driving at night this time of year they swarm under the lights and are just as slick as ice. Few more weeks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast