autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Working with a "sticky" softer clear coat suggestions

Hi Mike --

Today I had a long battle doing a full correction (2-stage) on a 1971 Opel with a very thick layer of Dupont Glamour - Concept 8200 clear coat. This was my first experience working with a finish that almost felt sticky when wiping with a waterless wash. The finish was pretty swirled so started with a orange Lake Country Force pad using Jescar cutting compound with my Flex 3401. The pad felt really sticky on the surface with the compound being a nightmare to remove after. Seemed to want to leave streaks behind when removing the compound with microfiber towels. Similar to wet wax. I went through a number of different pad and product combinations with the Lake Country flat pad (Orange) working the best. The car turned out well but took my twice as long as the product didn't want to come off. I used multiple types of clean microfiber towels (even soe new) that all seemed to have the same streaking issue. Note" I did do 6-8 passes and even tried using much less product - still the same results.

Looking for any tips r suggestions working with this type of clear coat.

Picture attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Working with a "sticky" softer clear coat suggestions-img_0390-jpg  

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Working with a "sticky" softer clear coat suggestions

Try using a free spinning orbital like the porter cable or griots da's.

Sticky paint dont like heat. Also if its this sticky it might be really soft.

Try a porter cable polishing pad and a polish. Do a few passes and see if that helps in the ease of wiping off the polish.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mdrees View Post

Hi Mike --

Today I had a long battle doing a full correction (2-stage) on a 1971 Opel with a very thick layer of Dupont Glamour - Concept 8200 clear coat. This was my first experience working with a finish that almost felt sticky when wiping with a waterless wash. The finish was pretty swirled so started with a orange Lake Country Force pad using Jescar cutting compound with my Flex 3401. The pad felt really sticky on the surface with the compound being a nightmare to remove after.

Seemed to want to leave streaks behind when removing the compound with microfiber towels. Similar to wet wax.

I went through a number of different pad and product combinations with the Lake Country flat pad (Orange) working the best. The car turned out well but took my twice as long as the product didn't want to come off.

I used multiple types of clean microfiber towels (even soe new) that all seemed to have the same streaking issue. Note" I did do 6-8 passes and even tried using much less product - still the same results.

Looking for any tips r suggestions working with this type of clear coat.

Picture attached

Sorry for the delay, I was off for a few days to travel over the Memorial Day weekend.

First this is a wicked bad looking Opel!

As for working on sticky paint, the only thing that's ever worked for me is treat it like super soft paint and finish out with a light cleaning cleaner/wax that dries. The wax will act as a dry lubricant making wipe-off easier and reduce the potential for marring the paint.

Then you can apply whatever you really wanted to use as an LSP over the cleaner/wax except for paint coatings.

As for wiping off compounds and polishes, have lots of microfiber towels on hand and pre-inspect them and try using a quality quick detailer after removing the majority of product residue.

Any more pictures of the car?

Post Thanks / Like

If I may add my 2c

I noticed working on some softer stickier type paints on Subarus and also the GTR's that as Joe mentioned, heat is the problem. My flex 3401 seems to generate more heat at the pad face than my free spinning DA (Shurhold) which tends to have a heat build up more on the velcro side. So switching machine should help.

Also ease off the pressure as additional pressure seems to cause a heat build up quite quickly.

Then as Mr Phillips recommends, using a polish with an easy wipe off, like a cleaner wax, to finish, could help. Carpro Essence may fit the bill here too?

Lastly, you could try and cool down the surface of the paint prior to polishing it, by taking some MF towels that are laying in a cooler box in ice water and placing them over the area to be polished - this is just an idea and not sure how successful it would be for you? It seemed to help on one of the Nissan GTR's I detailed.

Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned a few weeks back that my experience with soft paint and Jescar compound was the same as you, it was very hard to remove. Combine that with sticky paint, what a nightmare. On herder paint, it wiped away much easier. I use a compound that's not sold on AG that is easy to remove on every single paint system I've tried, including soft and sticky paint. As far as polishes, most shouldn't stick to paint as they're heavily lubricated. Don't overwork them. Like mentioned above, use a free spinning DA.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you share the compound you used? Thanks for the response!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdrees View Post
    Can you share the compound you used? Thanks for the response!
    Scholl Concepts S3 Gold, S20 Black, or S30+

For the soft sticky paints you could get just S3 Gold and then use HD Polish+

Jescar is awful, menzerna is too oily, Meguiars M100, M101, and M205 are great on medium/hard paints, the Boss creams are incredible on nearly all paints but can be finicky on "sticky" paints

For this type of paint I would be S.O.L without Scholl Concepts S3 Gold and HD Polish+

It REALLY stinks that Autogeek stopped carrying the scholl's line

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    Scholl Concepts S3 Gold, S20 Black, or S30+

For the soft sticky paints you could get just S3 Gold and then use HD Polish+

Jescar is awful, menzerna is too oily, Meguiars M100, M101, and M205 are great on medium/hard paints, the Boss creams are incredible on nearly all paints but can be finicky on "sticky" paints

For this type of paint I would be S.O.L without Scholl Concepts S3 Gold and HD Polish+
    Totally agree with all that you said.
    '03 Corvette Z06