autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some help Mike

Need some help Mike

Saturday and Sunday I clay bared, polished and then I applied a finish to my BMW 08 135i (Monaco Blue Metallic Paint). I then used CarPro's Eraser and wiped the whole car down.

I then applied SOnax's Ceramic Profiline Ceramic Coating, but only was able to apply base coat (Step1).

Sunday afternoon I gotta call and had to run into work due to an emergency. Ever since that emergency call, I haven' t had time to finish the Sonax Profiline Coating process part 2.

It rained today on my way home from work and I'm lost as to what to do from here.

If I were to spray Griot's speed shine or Best of show on the car to get rid of the water spots. Would I be voiding out Step 1 of the SOnax Ceramic process?

Or (Option B) wipe down the car with one of Griots Garage detailing sprays and apply Nanolex Si3d? Would I throw off any bonding issue by applying the Nanloex Ceramic coating to the Sonax Step 1 base coat?

Myles

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need some help Mike

I would just start all over again with the eraser.It. give you piece of my a job done correctly but that's just me.

Mike Phillips

Hi Myles,

I'm in the middle of buffing out a car, I've read your post and will get back to you today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    I would just start all over again with the eraser.It. give you piece of my a job done correctly but that's just me.
    I'm worried the eraser will strip the polish and finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Hi Myles,

I'm in the middle of buffing out a car, I've read your post and will get back to you today.

No worries I understand. Here are some pics after 2 days of rain. Sonax step 1 was difficult to come off and has left my car some smearing.
    Need some help Mike-img_1058-jpgNeed some help Mike-img_1058-jpgNeed some help Mike-img_1058-jpgNeed some help Mike-img_1056-jpgNeed some help Mike-img_1056-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

That doesn't sit well for me if its smearing. Love Sonax products but don't care for a complicated or time.consuming coating job.When you have time wash the car with a non wax carwash soap.Inspect the paint if its still smeared may need to repolish then reapply a one step coating like gloss coat or boyds tru coat.If you want to stay and use Sonax I would redo it but that's me.

Mike Phillips

And I agree with Jeff.

At this point, if you want to be sure the job is done right then you need to start by scheduling this job for a time when you can start and finish it wthout interruption.

Here's what I would do,

1. Wash or wipe car clean.
    2. Machine polish using a fine cut polish. This will remove any previously applied basecoat and get you back to a fresh base.
    3. Chemically strip the paint using the CarPro Eraser.
    4. Apply the SONAX Step 1 - Basecoat
    5. After removal wait 1 hour.
    6. Apply the SONAX Step 2 GlossCoat.

This will ensure a quality job that will look good and last over time.

Here's the directions for the webpage here,

SONAX CC36 Ceramic Coating

• Using your preferred method, thoroughly clean the paint and polish with a machine to a high-gloss finish with no swirls or holograms. The surface needs to be absolutely clean before SONAX CC36 Ceramic Coating is applied.

• Using the enclosed applicator labeled 1, apply SONAX BaseCoat (1) in a thin layer. For sensitive paint surfaces, the enclosed Microfiber Cloth can be used wrapped around the applicator.

• Treat a small surface area using a criss-cross sequence. Allow to dry for approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute at the most, then wipe the treated surface with a clean microfiber towel to a streak free shine.

• Repeat this process until the entire vehicle is treated and allow to cure for at least 1 hour - make sure the surfaces are not touched and do not get wet during this curing process.

• After the prescribed curing time, apply the SONAX GlossCoat (2) to achieve a superior smoothness and deep shine. Spray the product directly onto white side of the applicator labeled 2 and spread over the surface.

• You can treat areas of a half bonnet in size, which then need to be wiped over with a microfiber towels to remove excess product (drying is not necessary).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    And I agree with Jeff.

At this point, if you want to be sure the job is done right then you need to start by scheduling this job for a time when you can start and finish it wthout interruption.

Here's what I would do,

1. Wash or wipe car clean.
    2. Machine polish using a fine cut polish. This will remove any previously applied basecoat and get you back to a fresh base.
    3. Chemically strip the paint using the CarPro Eraser.
    4. Apply the SONAX Step 1 - Basecoat
    5. After removal wait 1 hour.
    6. Apply the SONAX Step 2 GlossCoat.

This will ensure a quality job that will look good and last over time.

Here's the directions for the webpage here,

SONAX CC36 Ceramic Coating

• Using your preferred method, thoroughly clean the paint and polish with a machine to a high-gloss finish with no swirls or holograms. The surface needs to be absolutely clean before SONAX CC36 Ceramic Coating is applied.

• Using the enclosed applicator labeled 1, apply SONAX BaseCoat (1) in a thin layer. For sensitive paint surfaces, the enclosed Microfiber Cloth can be used wrapped around the applicator.

• Treat a small surface area using a criss-cross sequence. Allow to dry for approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute at the most, then wipe the treated surface with a clean microfiber towel to a streak free shine.

• Repeat this process until the entire vehicle is treated and allow to cure for at least 1 hour - make sure the surfaces are not touched and do not get wet during this curing process.

• After the prescribed curing time, apply the SONAX GlossCoat (2) to achieve a superior smoothness and deep shine. Spray the product directly onto white side of the applicator labeled 2 and spread over the surface.

• You can treat areas of a half bonnet in size, which then need to be wiped over with a microfiber towels to remove excess product (drying is not necessary).

Mike and Jeff,
    Thank you for your input I really do appreciate it alot. I spent my whole weekend last week washing, prepping, polishing and finishing and I loved it, please don't get the wrong idea. I won't be able to polish and finish it again anytime soon due to my schedule with work. I'm a pharmacist at a very busy pharmacy and when I'm on call, the phone never ends. So, last night I had time to wipe down the car with CarPro's Ech20 and I wasn't able to get that base coat off at all. Other than pulling out the Rupes again, do I have any other options? Attached are some pics I took 1 hour ago.Need some help Mike-img_1072-jpgNeed some help Mike-img_1072-jpgNeed some help Mike-img_1072-jpgNeed some help Mike-img_1073-jpgNeed some help Mike-img_1075-jpgNeed some help Mike-img_1071-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Carpro echo is not going to remove it. It's a waterless wash. Neither will eraser.

As Mike and Jeff stated, polishing will remove it. Then you can start fresh.

Post Thanks / Like

also looks like you need to apply way less next time and level it off after it flashes too
    Back to the full-time grind.