autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex Upgrade: 3401 Vs XFE7-15

When i first started I purchased a HF DA. It has lasted me a good while but it now seems to be slowly going so I am looking to upgrade. After some research I feel as though the forced rotation of the 3401 would be what I'm looking for with the improved correcting ability. I the stumbled upon the XFE7-15. Is this a better machine that the 3401? What would everyone say the pros vs cons are for each? Please help me decide!! TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex Upgrade: 3401 Vs XFE7-15

I like long throw better, If you're set on flex xfe7-15...wait for version 3...as version 2 has the same issues as the original.
    Check out the G15 or G21 instead.

3401 works well too

Post Thanks / Like

apples compared to oranges................

I wouldn't necessarily say a 3401 has improved correcting ability over any of long throw da's, it's the forced rotation that is the difference. It powers through because of that. I have all da's and most likely will never buy a 3401, but for speed (time savings) and power, if that's what you're looking for the 3401 is it, short of a rotary.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    apples compared to oranges................
    Mike Phillips wrote some great comments regarding forced rotation machines and free floating DAs as they are different machines (in how they operate).

Personally, I have both, and really prefer the feel of the XFE over the 3401. It's slightly lighter, MUCH quieter, and very easy to control. I have a V2 and have zero heat issues whatsoever. For heavy corrections, I usually opt for the PE14 as I have a lot of time with a rotary and it just such a nice machine. However, the XFE with a MF cutting pad is no pansy.

That being said, if heavy downward pressure comes natural to you, and you don't mind utilizing good flat pad technique, the 3401 will never stop spinning, and thus, never stop correcting. Grab some hybrid pads and go crazy.

FWIW, I've found that I prefer both machines with a smaller 5" backing plate. It helps the XFE with stalling, and the 3401 with user control.

For me the 3401 is a great tool for AIO application, and finishing on boats, but I usually reach for the other two flex tools first.

Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the xfe,rupes mk2 21 and gg15 and when I use them I always grab the rupes the flex seems extremely underpowered compared to gg and rupes

Mike Phillips

All kinds of great input by our forum members,

My take on your question...

Quote Originally Posted by Gkern21 View Post

When i first started I purchased a HF DA. It has lasted me a good while but it now seems to be slowly going so I am looking to upgrade.

After some research I feel as though the forced rotation of the 3401 would be what I'm looking for with the improved correcting ability.

Your point about the gear-driven FLEX 3401 offering

improved correcting ability.

Is correct as it related to anytime you have to do correction work to curved panels, both convex and concave and anytime you're buffing out intricate or tight areas. Because this tool is gear-driven NOTHING will stop the pad from both oscillating and rotating, (that's two things).

All orbital polishers that are free spinning design will stall or have issues maintaining constant pad rotating and oscillation. That's simply a fact. So for anyone wanting maximum speed while maintaining pro-grade results, the FLEX 3401 will fit the bill.

I the stumbled upon the XFE7-15. Is this a better machine that the 3401?
    As stated, it's comparing apples to oranges.

FLEX 3401 - Gear-driven orbital

FLEX XFE7 = Free spinning orbital

The BEAST and the FINISHER! The New Official FLEX Tool Names!

Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher

FLEX XFE7-15 Long Stroke Orbital Polisher

Just recently I used both of these tools for a wetsanding project. The FLEX 3401 was better at and faster at removing the wool pad hologram. The XFE7 was better at finishing out on fresh black paint.

Griots Garage BOSS Finishing Papers- Reduce Orange Peel - Review by Mike Phillips

6.5" LC Hybrid Orange Foam Cutting Pad on a FLEX 3401 to remove holograms left by the wool pad on a rotary buffer

6.5" LC ThinPro Black Finishing Pad on the FLEX XFE7 to perfect the paint after heaving compounding with the FLEX 3401

(Text book example of starting with the BEAST and finishing out with the Finisher)

Also... I also recently used the FLEX 3401 for the heavy grunt work and the XFE7 to finish out on this old 2-door Ford...

Review and How-To: Gyeon Compound, Polish and Primer - 1932 Ford Roadster detailed by Mike Phillips

Went from this...

To this.

Final results came out pretty good...

So both tools have their place.

What would everyone say the pros vs cons are for each? Please help me decide!! TIA

To keep it simple,

The FLEX 3401 excels at fast defect removal no matter what the shape of the panel without the problems of holograms like you would get with the only tool that's faster and that's a rotary buffer.

The FLEX XFE7 is better at finishing out perfect on a wider spectrum of paint types, soft, hard and everything in-between.

Hope this helps...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jrose0070 View Post

I have the xfe,rupes mk2 21 and gg15 and when I use them I always grab the rupes

the flex seems extremely underpowered compared to gg and rupes

And should the person that started this thread decide to go with RUPES then I'd recommend reading this article,

FLEX 3401 or RUPES? - A question I get asked a lot! -Mike Phillips

Especially this part....

So when people ask me

Mike,

Which is better? The FLEX or the RUPES?

My answer is,

If you're asking about which is better, the FLEX 3401 or any of the RUPES free spinning polishers, then you're comparing apples to oranges.

If you're going to go with RUPES then go all in. That means, budget for and purchase a RUPES tool, the matching pads and the matching compounds and polishes.

AFTER you become experienced and skilled with their SYSTEM - then if you want to start experimenting with other pads and products go for it. And if you run into trouble maintaining pad rotation with NON-RUPES pads or if you experience VIBRATION with NON-RUPES pads then you know how to get out of this problem. Simple - go back to RUPES pads.

If you run into trouble with NON-RUPES compounds and polishes then simple - go back to RUPES compounds and polishes.

The FLEX 3401 is a beast and it doesn't really care what pad you place on it as it's going to maintain pad rotation no matter what the shape of the body panel. But just like ANY tool for buffing paint, the MOST important factor is the abrasive technology.

Whether you want to go with FLEX or RUPES - the good news is here at Autogeek we carry both!

On Autogeek.com

FLEX Power Tools

RUPES Power Tools

And no matter which tool you go with, be sure to get a copy of my book for each tool and my recommendation is to read it from cover to cover before even removing the new polisher from its box.

How to use the Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Polisher
    For both Production Detailing & Show Car Detailing

How to use the RUPES BigFoot Paint Polishing System
    for Production Detailing and Show Car Detailing