autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Water staining and some fading on a metal pick up bed cover

I have a Tacoma with an after market be cover. Unfortunately it has gotten rained on then the sun kinda bake in the spots. My question is if there is any kind of product or process that can be done to remove these pesky spots?
    Now I dont thing there is Polish that can be used to get this out without making a HUGE mess, someone told me maybe a light solution of vinegar? Also this bed cover is some type of metal, not plastic. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. I also added a couple of photos as well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water staining and some fading on a metal pick up bed cover-20170419_140437-jpg   Water staining and some fading on a metal pick up bed cover-20170419_140443-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water staining and some fading on a metal pick up bed cover

Although I've never used it, I've thought about ordering some Optimum MDR, (mineral deposit remover) which is designed for rain spots, which are mineral deposits. I've had great results with every optimum product I've tried thus far, so it's an idea.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by envious2014 View Post
    I have a Tacoma with an after market be cover. Unfortunately it has gotten rained on then the sun kinda bake in the spots. My question is if there is any kind of product or process that can be done to remove these pesky spots?
    Now I dont thing there is Polish that can be used to get this out without making a HUGE mess, someone told me maybe a light solution of vinegar? Also this bed cover is some type of metal, not plastic. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. I also added a couple of photos as well
    I had not seen a bed cover in that material.I would personally use a very light non abrasive metal cleaner such as meguairs in a blue can.I have it but don't know the exact name.Use with very little pressure the last thing you want to due is scour it.Buy some suede coating cloths to work in the product.Do not use a terrycloth might be to agressive.Optimum mdr is great and not that powerfull,but it may etch it .No matter what this is gonna be a workout good luck.

Mike Phillips

I have a Tacoma with an after market be cover. Unfortunately it has gotten rained on then the sun kinda bake in the spots.

My question is if there is any kind of product or process that can be done to remove these pesky spots?

Maybe, just maybe a chemical water spot remover may work, like the Optimum MDR or one of the other chemical based water spot removers which are actually mineral deposit dissolvers.

They either work or they don't and you won't know till you try.

From the pictures, it looks like anodized aluminum?

IF this is the case then you cannot polish anodized surfaces. You can wipe them, but not abrade them so avoid anything with abrasives.

I would contact the manufacturer and see what they recommend.

Mike Phillips

Also...

For anyone reading this into the future, there are so many experts out there in the blogosphere always recommending vinegar as their expert miracle problem solver.

After getting tired of reading so may experts recommending vinegar for years, back in 2012 I took the time to talk to a REAL chemist on the topic and then wrote the below article... if you're interested click the link and read it. If not, then gets some vinegar and go for it!

Using Vinegar to remove water spots

Mike Phillips

As for working on anodized aluminum or actually a lot of coatings and materials, here's something I wrote in 2016 which is a re-write of something I wrote back in 2005

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

And in this context, it would be about removing water spots not scratches but the same basic principals and ideas apply.

Mike Phillips

My guess is after you wipe or wash the metal tonneau cover, you're going to find,

Imprint Rings - A specific type of water spot on car paint by Mike Phillips

And if so... and if this is a black anodized aluminum there's probably not much you can do for it.

I would look into a chemical based water spot dissolver like the Optimum MDR and TEST in an inconspicuous area first before applying to the entire cover.

Sorry to say but sometimes the materials and coatings used to make cars and car components just don't lend themselves well to us working on them.

Post Thanks / Like

@Mike Phillips:

If the aluminum is anodized, can it be protected as well as paint and clear coat can with waxes, sealants, and coatings?
    This to prevent such water spots as seen in the pictures.