autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can you recommend a medium cut polish for production detailing?

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Problem is it's gonna vary on paint and pad type. I could say Wolfgang TSR on a microfiber pad but probably would haze like crazy on a soft Toyota Prius it look great on a Chevy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are dead on!

Is this stuff anything like Sonax 04-06? I bought some 04-06 and didn't like it at all. Clogs pads easily and very hard to clean out of pads. It had to be worked forever and was harder to wipe off than I thought. I didn't use very much.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post

Is this stuff anything like Sonax 04-06? I bought some 04-06 and didn't like it at all. Clogs pads easily and very hard to clean out of pads. It had to be worked forever and was harder to wipe off than I thought. I didn't use very much.
    I have no idea. It came to mind with the op's original question. Seems to get some good praises in that thread from those that attended that class.

So you were holding out on me with this information about 04-06 when I asked you on FB in your sale thread lol. Just kidding.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a way to go is to have two polishes, one for softer paint and the other for harder paint. FG400 would be great for harder paint while something like Essence or m205 would do great on softer paint. The other thing to is don't be afraid to mix a polish with a certain amount of distilled water to lessen haze and what not, or to finish better. Like with m205 and a microfiber cutting pad, spraying the pad with some water mid way through will let you finish off a lot better. I've even sprayed water onto the section I'm polishing too midway through and then going back to finish off the panel. Two polishes for two different hardness of paint might be a lot better than trying to find one polish to suit everything.

Post Thanks / Like

WG Uber Compound finishes off nice enough to go straight to LSP. This was with a rotary, so of course I did go over it again with a DA next.I already hit the other areas in the pic, working towards the back of the car.

I know it's a "compound", but these days, most have diminishing abrasives, so it's not like compounds used to be where you HAD to finish with a finer polish.

Can you recommend a medium cut polish for production detailing?-20170324_183821-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    m205 would do great on softer paint. The other thing to is don't be afraid to mix a polish with a certain amount of distilled water to lessen haze and what not, or to finish better.
    M205 out of the bottle wouldn't be my first choice for soft paint. Diluting it heavily with water on a long throw DA and it'll finish much better.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    The other thing to is don't be afraid to mix a polish with a certain amount of distilled water to lessen haze and what not, or to finish better. Like with m205 and a microfiber cutting pad, spraying the pad with some water mid way through will let you finish off a lot better. I've even sprayed water onto the section I'm polishing too midway through and then going back to finish off the panel. Two polishes for two different hardness of paint might be a lot better than trying to find one polish to suit everything.
    M205 out of the bottle wouldn't be my first choice for soft paint. Diluting it heavily with water on a long throw DA and it'll finish much better.
    Are you guys saying that I could get LSP ready ( at least by production detailing standards) by adding distilled water to M205 and MF cutting pad on a long throw DA?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd Dtlr View Post

Are you guys saying that I could get LSP ready ( at least by production detailing standards) by adding distilled water to M205 and MF cutting pad on a long throw DA?
    The M205/water mix is a last resort for ultra soft black paint. A lot of paint systems will finish LSP ready with a quality finishing polish. For medium-hard paint, I can finish no problem with M205. For soft paint, especially soft black, I use another finishing polish not sold by AG(it's similar to CarPro Essence).
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wknd Dtlr View Post

I honestly think enhancing the finishing ability of m205 by watering down the polish is completely unnecessary by production detailing standards. I think you're best luck would be with something like m100 and a light cutting/heavy polishing foam pad since foam does not necessarily require a compressor to blow out the residue after ever section pass. Like others mention Fg400 is also a great option. Either of those compounds can finish down fantastic 90% of the time. Approx. 10% of the time (soft black paint) I would recommend HD Polish+ and a dense heavy polishing/light cutting foam pad. I really like the uro-cell tangerine. The water/m205 method is great advice for finishing down perfect but that wouldn't be cost effective or practical for your situation.

Post Thanks / Like

The M205/water mix is a last resort for ultra soft black paint. A lot of paint systems will finish LSP ready with a quality finishing polish. For medium-hard paint, I can finish no problem with M205. For soft paint, especially soft black, I use another finishing polish not sold by AG(it's similar to CarPro Essence).
    what he said

Post Thanks / Like

WRAPT and mwoywod - thanks for the clarification. now I understand when I would use this..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast