autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Would you include water spot removal in a basic detail package? and how to?

Well the title pretty much says it all.

I did a friends car today and I noticed that there were water spots/stains on the outside glass. Glass cleaner didnt touch it. Wasnt real sure what to remove them easily with .. steel wool pad and some cleaner? or just some type of cleaner with a regular microfiber pad?

so would that be something in a basic wash detail package you would worry about?

and what is an easy fast way to get those water spots off of glass?

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Would you include water spot removal in a basic detail package? and how to?

So you weren't able to get them out?
    If I was in your shoes I would try Kaboom bathroom cleaner. [just make sure not to only let it touch the glass] As far as steel wool, always start off using it dry as using it with any sort of product/chemical/lube only makes it more aggressive. What grade steel wool do you prefer to use? I like 00 grade and reach for that 9 times out of 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Would you include water spot removal in a basic detail package? and how to?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    So you weren't able to get them out?
    If I was in your shoes I would try Kaboom bathroom cleaner. [just make sure not to only let it touch the glass] As far as steel wool, always start off using it dry as using it with any sort of product/chemical/lube only makes it more aggressive. What grade steel wool do you prefer to use? I like 00 grade and reach for that 9 times out of 10.

I honestly didnt try real hard. But I was only using stoner invisible glass with a microfiber towel. It was my girlfriends friends car that I was doing for free inside and out.

I thought about the steel wool with something like CLR .. if I used steel wool it would be the 00 ..think I have seen some 0000 around here somewhere too.

I didnt know it would make it more aggressive with cleaner or liquid. I figured it would add some lubrication between the steel wool and the glass actually .. thats weird.

Post Thanks / Like

Would you include water spot removal in a basic detail package? and how to?

Quote Originally Posted by RMarkJr View Post
    I didnt know it would make it more aggressive with cleaner or liquid. I figured it would add some lubrication between the steel wool and the glass actually .. thats weird.
    Yea that's what everyone says... "make sure you use some lube or else"
    Yea well I've never had a situation where steel wool scratches a surface, but once I use it with some kind of product as lube it suddenly doesn't scratch it... 00 steel wool doesn't scratch period as long as you're using it on the proper surface.

But I have had steel wool + "lube" scratch a surface where using the steel wool dry doesn't.. Here's an example: Kind of hard to get a picture of it, but you can see the scratches/haze left behind here after using the steel wool with Turtle Wax Chrome Polish or Meguiars New Hot Rims Metal Polish as lube [I can't remember which 1 but it was 1 of those 2]

See the scratches

But the same steel wool used dry cleaned up the rest of the surface as good as possible [not including the permanent defects]

Post Thanks / Like

Ya I can see the scratches in those pictures for sure.

but you did say you were using metal polishes. Doesnt metal polishes have abrasives in them? Maybe its the combination of the steel wool and the abrasives in the metal polishes that are causing the scratches?

Have you tried to use the steel wool with something like a regular liquid cleaner and it leave scratches?

Post Thanks / Like

Water spot removal can definitely require a lot of extra time. It is absolutely an add-on service for me. And just like paint surface correction, there are multiple levels of aggressiveness that can be used. #0000 steel wool is in my drawer. Also a bottle of Bar Keepers Friend and CarPro Ceriglass.

Post Thanks / Like

Just buzz the windshield with whatever compound/polish you're using to correct the paint and be done.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

^ same as above

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VR8 View Post
    Water spot removal can definitely require a lot of extra time. It is absolutely an add-on service for me. And just like paint surface correction, there are multiple levels of aggressiveness that can be used. #0000 steel wool is in my drawer. Also a bottle of Bar Keepers Friend and CarPro Ceriglass.
    ok, ya I was also thinking about that being an add on service due to the work and time it would take. I am going to have to pick up some 0000 steel wool and check out the carpro Ceriglass. Have you ever had any issue with the water spot cleaners etching glass? I seem to see that issue a lot with all that I have looked at.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Just buzz the windshield with whatever compound/polish you're using to correct the paint and be done.

Tom
    That seems to remove it really good and pretty quick? or do you need to go over it with several passes like you would with paint?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast