autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Faint Scratches on new Vehicle

Thanks, Paul. I think I'll probably move up to a machine when the time is right. Hopefully, what I try with the products I ordered will work. If not, then I'll move nervously to a DA polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

So the product description is inaccurate in stating the SX will remove swirls?

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with trying to polish with your hand is no matter how fast or hard you press with your hand you can never get the oscillations of a da and thus you can't achieve the gloss levels that you can with a da and polishing.

You may remove some of the scratches but you may also induce some marring which is quite common when using polishes by hand.

It's kind of like trying to polish a vinyl tile floor by hand versus using a hi speed floor buffer.

To get gloss like this you'll need a da machine.

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by h8dirtycars View Post
    So the product description is inaccurate in stating the SX will remove swirls?
    Sadly, yes. As to far as the level you would want to see from a complete job on the whole car.

And custmsprty's post is the exact reason why.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Ok then. Thanks for the schooling, I guess the polisher it is then, eventually. I can always practice on the other car which is black, and I'm sure that'll let me know if I'm doing it right.

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you live? If by chance near Colorado Springs, I will be glad to help you and even let you get experience with both my FLEX3401 and PC. Send a PM if interested. By the way, if you never get a PC or similar polisher, you will always be inexperienced. Orbital polishers are very safe to use. You have to work at it to damage the paint.

So far what hasn't been mentioned is the issue with the touchless car wash. That system is great to get the heavy curd off your car. The "Achilles Heal" in your case is drying the car afterwards. Touchless systems leave a film on the paint surface is most probably a bit abrasive. What I do when I have to use a touchless system is get on the highway right away and air dry the car. When I get home, I then do a rinseless wash (ONR). Having said that, I do not obsess about my car's finish (Subaru Outback) since it is silver. My husband's Outback is Carbide Gray so I do get somewhat upset with the minor imperfections in the paint. I just ignore it all and look forward to warmer weather when I can break out all my detailing supplies and spend what I call "quality time in the garage" for two or three days with each of the Outbacks. If your car is your daily driver, then don't obsess about minor swirls that only you see when the car is parked in your garage. Instead, take satisfaction knowing that your car looks better than probably 99% of all the other cars on the road.

Consider changing your carwash routine to: touchless to remove the heavy crud, then rinsless wash when you get home and have the car in the garage. There are lots of discussion threads on this forum and YouTube relating to rinseless washing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Paul. I think I'll probably move up to a machine when the time is right. Hopefully, what I try with the products I ordered will work. If not, then I'll move nervously to a DA polisher.
    No need to be nervous about a DA. Mike Phillips' videos/advice here on AG will show you tons of info.

It is extremely easy to use a DA. Just watch a few videos, go to work with a DA, and 5 minutes in, you'll be saying to yourself "what in the hell was I nervous about?? This is great!!".

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks PaulMys. Am leaning towards doing that now, especially after seeing custmsprty's paint!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks PaulMys. Am leaning towards doing that now, especially after seeing custmsprty's paint!
    You aren't kidding. You'd better put a pair of sunglasses on if you are even gonna look at a picture of his finished paint.

Incredible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    You aren't kidding. You'd better put a pair of sunglasses on if you are even gonna look at a picture of his finished paint.

Incredible.
    Thanks Paul, and yes, I do wear my Maui Jim's when doing my white cars
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12