autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Coating Questions

So my question has to do with coatings, I have always been a sealant guy but have become more and more interested in coatings. Now my question is, we all know you can only cut and polish a car so often before you run out of clear coat to play with. That being said, once you correct the paint and apply a coating, the coating will last up to a year or more they say. Once that time period has passed, obviously the coating won't wear evenly across the whole car and from what I've read the only way to remove a coating is to buff it off. So basically my question is, once you correct the paint and apply a coating, how do you service that vehicle again once the coating wears off without risking burning through the clear coat? Or once you apply a coating for a customer, should that turn into purely a maintenance customer as far as the exterior goes and once the coating has gone through it's life span just ends up beings a wash and wax or wash and seal?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating Questions

A simple hand wash will do it for some time but many manufacturers suggest you de-iron and clay the car every 6 or 12 months. That should revive the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe CarPro Essence+ is designed with this 'coating maint' purpose in mind.

Post Thanks / Like

You can absolutely re-coat a vehicle.

We coat almost every vehicle that goes through our shop, and my personal vehicles are coated. For a well maintained car that does not need paint correction, we recommend a light polish as needed (generally every 1.5-3 years) followed by a new coating layer application. If the vehicle has superficial defects that need to be fixed, then clean and correct the vehicle as you would normally, then reapply the coating after the correction process.

If you do not wish to reapply a coating, then don't. Just clean, polish, and seal or wax the car as you would if a coating had never been used.

Retired Professional Detailer