Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Really have no idea how I got this ( someone with a high backpack scraped against the side of my car or something? ) Anyone have any recommendations on how I can make this scratch/gouge on my black plastic at the end of my car door frame look any better? I've thought about using Meguiar's G15812 Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer but I'm not sure whats the best way to go about repairing this or at least making so it doesn't look so horrible as it does now. Any feedback appreciated, thanks.

The scratch/abrasion doesn't feel very deep but the plastic is textured so I can feel the difference. Someone suggested that the scratch took out the top coat which is a UV protectant layer and that the plastic underneath is now oxidized and that I would need to use a solvent-based product to remove the oxidization, then follow up with a protectant to keep it from happening again. I have no idea though if this is true?

In terms of replacement the part is only $30 but I have no idea how to properly remove it or how hard/easy it would be? I have no idea how it is attached to the end of the door

https://www.mylparts.com/auto-parts/...ront-door-scat
its part # 4 - 75755-76010 Applique