autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Unkown speckles on black paint

Hi everyone,
    It's been a while since I've been on here but I recently picked up a Black raven Cadillac CTSV coupe!

The car is in great condition but after further inspection it has the "speckles" all over the paint on the front/top of the car. They are very fine, at first i thought they were tiny bits of metal but now I think it might be clear coat over spray.

I've attempted to clay them off but they still remain. Does anyone have any suggestion on what I might try to remove them? The paint on this car is excellent except for these tiny spots!

I tried to get the best pic possible, if I get a better pic i'll follow up with it.

Let me know what you think.

If you look just above the light reflection in the pic you can see the speckles:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unkown speckles on black paint

Pretty hard to see the speckles, but what I see, or looks like...bird tracks.

I'm sure it is probably an illusion, but what is 'that'?

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

All I can't see is the ceiling tuxture in the paint from above.

Can you get some outside pictures?

Post Thanks / Like

1st of all, nice Cadillac. Love the black paint.Unkown speckles on black paint
    As far as the speckles, are you sure they're not on the roof of your garage and not actually on the car? Lol. That was just a joke because of how good the reflection is.

Kinda tough to make a call from that pic being a bit far away from the spots, but my 1st guess would be that maybe they're bird poop etchings.

So there's no swirls on that paint? You bought it in that condition?

Sent from my iPhone

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

We havent had sun out in a while, it's been very rainy here in GA but should clear up in a day or so.
    Here's i think a better pic:

One thing i just realized, i was able to remove one of the speckles with my finger nail by scratching it gently. Interesting that thats possible but clay bar didnt get it

The paint is in pretty good condition but does have some swirls on it. After i figure out what to do abut the speckles i plan to hit it with some light cut

I'll keep trying for a better picture as well.

Here we are!...

Post Thanks / Like

Tar .... industrial fallout ...

Have you tried to clay the surface ??? Have you done a Iron-X remover product or wash ???

I would try those areas personally ....

Scott

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've tried to clay and was not successful.

I should have specified earlier, the entire roof is covered in them, the hood had some, the side of the car has them but much smaller and not nearly as bad.

I think you're right, it must be fallout from parking near something.
    Could this be from parking at the airport for extended periods of time? We have an international airport here in ATL and i know it's bad for paint but never seen what it does to black paint.

I certainly will try the iron x

Post Thanks / Like

I finally see them.
    I would try the Fine/Med. grade Speedy Prep Towel. This 1. If it's overspray, I've removed it looking just like that very easily with this towel.

I like that 1 because it's strength is in between fine and med. I've also used the Med grade Speedy Prep Towel and worked great every time before it finally gave out.. Just use plenty of claylube.

I wouldn't bother with the fine grade towel as it's probably pretty weak. I've got 1 I ordered from China and didn't work worth a lick on even light contamination. Blame it on being a knockoff or whatever, but IMO I blame it on it being fine grade and it was a waste of time compared to the Med grade.

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

If it's white it's likely paint overspray from something, you, your neighbor, everbody is spraying paint these days on their houses, fences, etc. Or it could have happened industrially (commercial building painting/roofing at the airport or your job). Oh, you said you just got the car--could be from anywhere.

It's good that you can get it off with your fingernail; that means it's likely not road paint, epoxy, or polyurethane. If you are lucky it's house paint; I would try some mineral spirits. If that doesn't work perhaps you have to adjust your clay/clay substitute to something more aggressive.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, great ideas Unkown speckles on black paint

So in order i'm going to try:
    IronX
    Nanoskin fine-medium towel
    Nanoskin fine DA pad

Are mineral spirits safe for the paint? Sounds too harsh no?

I've got everything on order. After xmas is over i'm going to go to town on it.
    I'll post up my results when done!

While i'm at it i'll try to get a before pic of the swirls that are there. This paint is amazingly deceiving for black paint, under most light it looks super glossy but when the sun hits it JUST right it's swirl city. Previous owner clearly ran it through automatic washers.

OT but on a side note the interior is in great condition as well except the center console is made of gloss piano black plastic that shows a ton of swirls. I picked up a 3" backplate for a drill that i'm going to try to use to polish it back to normal. It's crazy how badly scratched it is! I can see finger nail marks from people adjusting the volume on the radio

Once i get these two things fixed up the car will be in near perfect condition!
    It's a weekend warrior only so it will live in my garage 99% of the time

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast