autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How do I get that "wet look"?

Hey Mike,

I have a 1994 Mazda Miata which I have recently resprayed in 2k basecoat clear coat.

It normally lives outside and after giving it a wash its not quite as glossy after I had painted it.

It it possible to get it looking as "wet" as it is when I wash it before it dries?

After I dry it the paint looks a shade duller then when it does with water, is it actually possible to get that kind of shine on paint or am I being too fussy?

Thanks Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do I get that "wet look"?

Quote Originally Posted by Booki View Post
    Hey Mike,

I have a 1994 Mazda Miata which I have recently resprayed in 2k basecoat clear coat.

It normally lives outside and after giving it a wash its not quite as glossy after I had painted it.

It it possible to get it looking as "wet" as it is when I wash it before it dries?

After I dry it the paint looks a shade duller then when it does with water, is it actually possible to get that kind of shine on paint or am I being too fussy?

Thanks Mike!

1. How long has it been since you had the vehicle re-painted?
    2. If longer than 2-3 months, then you need to make sure the Paint is level again, like it was directly after the re-painting.
    3. When the paint is completely level, that is almost the maximum gloss you can get, when scratches begin, the gloss levels start diminishing. The light is reflecting off of the flat paint and from each side of the scratch, so is not uniform any longer, thus a Paint Correction to make the surface as level as possible.
    4. Slight Polishing is possibly needed to re-level the surface
    5. You have several processes that can slightly increase the gloss once you paint is perfectly level
    a. If you choose to go with a Coating, that will give you several years likely of protection while increasing your gloss, however your need to maintain it will drastically go down compared to further options
    b. If you choose to just use a Sealant (yes recommended even if going with choice C) that will provide 4-6 months of protection and increase gloss very slightly. But, can be layered if desired but will allow a person to utilize their OCD
    tendancies so they can constantly touch an add products to the paint.
    c. Carnauba wax ---- will give you about 4 weeks of protectant and usually used as a short term topper for a good sealant. This will maximize the gloss, likely the same or better than a coating will, but heat will diminish quickly the
    product. After several car washes the carnauba will also be diminished and need replacing if desired. Hotter it is, the smaller amount of time the carnauba lasts. However, nothing better for a Concours event or car show. So if you
    want the car to look its best, then this product will contribute to that. The Carnauba can also be used as a topper for Coatings, and will give it a bit of depth and warm glow.

Coatings are great and give high gloss levels without a doubt. But are difficult at the same time when it comes to needing a paint correction down the road, which almost any car will. Coatings also now have maintenance products that can be used during the lifetime of whats on the car. I fiddle too much on my specialty cars, so putting a coating is counter productive to my OCD need to fiddle. Also, I wont put a coating on a collector car or future valuable car due to the possible issues that coatings can bring. Removing a coating is a tedious process, but that is for another discussion.

If you don't want to fiddle with your paint constantly, then a coating is likely your best bet after making sure the paint is level and polished. This will also provide the highest gloss without constant additional additions to whatever is protecting the car.

Hope this helps.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there any orange peel ? Waves in the paint ?

Polishing is the only way to let your car have a wet look. Waxing will only temporarily make it look a little shinier.

A simple Porter cable machine, some foam pads and products like Griots Garage Fast Correcting Cream or correcting cream and a few hours and she will be glowing like a diamond. Especially if it's new clear.

I would do a decontamination wash with dish soap. Clay bar to get over spray and contaminates off. And start the polishing process.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The key is to perfect the paint through polishing and to refine the polish so it's like a mirror. Once done, a ceramic coating will provide the "wet look" or what I call a candy-like appearance. I say that as it's shiny like a kids sucker.

I love days like the one where I took this photo as it really makes the car pop when the big puffy clouds reflect off of it. Again, the look resides a good deal in the level of refinement of polishing.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

The correcting and protection piece have been covered already...you'll need to polish it out and then protect it with a good wax/sealant/coating.

The next step is keeping it looking good so you don't constantly have to be breaking out the polisher. Don't take it to a tunnel wash, or those quick wash places where the employees wash/dry your car with the same tools used on the Jeep in front of you in line that just returned from a mudding trip. Wash the car yourself, and always make sure what every wash and dry media you use is soft and clean. Also, you don't have to wash daily, but don't do it only 2~3 times a year. Embedded road grim will kill the shine and fresh look of any color of paint.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Duragloss.

The Wet Look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I've been highly impressed by the look of Opti-seal. Gives a lot of gloss to the cars that I have put it on.

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go:

{If it had been a snake
    It would have bit you!}

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Give a wax as you dry product a good look. Griots always gave me that look after using it.

Griots Garage Spray-On Wax 35 oz.

http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-aquawax--951.html

How do I get that "wet look"?-0906161053-00-jpg

And it will also EXTEND your LSP.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Keep it wet to get the wet look. All kidding aside, you probably need to wet sand to level the paint.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast