autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coatings that require certification or licensing

I've been doing some searching but it's hard to differentiate between the paint coating and high temp ceramic coating when trying to look up information. I've come across an opportunity to be an independent contractor detailer for a new start up performance parts and decal shop that has intentions of catering to HIGH end cars. Through the winter here in Colorado, the main business that we forsee would be ceramic coatings and paint chip repair. The guy I talked to briefly about it would like the company to be an authorized/certified/licensed (or whatever term to instill the most confidence in customers) user of a ceramic coating. Which particular brand, I'm not sure, and I'm sure neither does he. I have used CQuartz and WG Uber Ceramic with awesome results. I mentioned to him that the ceramic coatings that require certification may be because they were the originals that came out, but now there are coatings that are meant for the well-practiced DIYer. But I told him I would look into it because I do understand the power of being "certified" to do something in the eyes of a customer, along with a premium price. I figured I could get more direct answers here instead of searching forever on which brands are the major players, and then what it takes to get a certification course.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coatings that require certification or licensing

I'm not sure why you're asking this in Mike Phillips' forum because AFAIK Autogeek doesn't get involved in any coatings of that type. CarPro, GTechiq and Optimum all have professional products that are applied by their certified installers, and you can contact them directly for information on that. I'm sure there others that run pro-only programs but either I can't think of them or they are mfrs. that aren't represented here at AG.

Post Thanks / Like

The coatings with certifications are pro-level materials where a warranty is issued by the installer, usually 7 years for Optimum Pro.
    Two of the most prominent are Opti Pro and CQ-Finest.

Few CERTS you should put on the road map:
    1.) IDA - International Detailers Association - Mike Phillips Boot Camps have an optional 4th day (of the 3 day class for certification) and he's having a 1 day cert in December.
    2.) IIRCR - Not a must have... and very overlooked in the industry. But having someone trained and certified on fabrics, upholstery etc, is always a plus. My partner in business (Interior Gal) is IICRC certified and she said the training was excellent and invaluable. She now has more confidence taking on the tough interior jobs.
    3.) Coating Certs - You should probably find out what coating offerings your shop will offer the most, (i.e. find a product you like and stick to it....) then get certified. No sense in you getting CQ Finest if they're going to offer Opti.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    The coatings with certifications are pro-level materials where a warranty is issued by the installer, usually 7 years for Optimum Pro.
    Two of the most prominent are Opti Pro and CQ-Finest.

Few CERTS you should put on the road map:
    1.) IDA - International Detailers Association - Mike Phillips Boot Camps have an optional 4th day (of the 3 day class for certification) and he's having a 1 day cert in December.
    2.) IIRCR - Not a must have... and very overlooked in the industry. But having someone trained and certified on fabrics, upholstery etc, is always a plus. My partner in business (Interior Gal) is IICRC certified and she said the training was excellent and invaluable. She now has more confidence taking on the tough interior jobs.
    3.) Coating Certs - You should probably find out what coating offerings your shop will offer the most, (i.e. find a product you like and stick to it....) then get certified. No sense in you getting CQ Finest if they're going to offer Opti.
    I really appreciate this info. I do want to get on one of the training courses for some certifications. I wasn't originally planning on making this a full lifelong business, but this opportunity seems good enough to make into something, so now these certifications will be useful. I was trained by my buddy who started his own company after going through a training course, so I've been exposed to the information, but don't hold my own certification yet. The thing with this is that I'M the detailing business portion of this company if it happens. We haven't talked over the details yet, but they are going to deal with advertising, scheduling, and providing the shop space and they are going to collect payments. Everything is going to be a flat percentage split between me and the shop. Not sure what would be a good split off hand, but I plan on trying to be responsible for my own consumables, so would want my percentage to compensate for that also. I guess this thread would have been better in the "how to make money" section. But I originally just wanted to find out about the certification for the coatings, and also now that I think about it, if there is a noticeable difference from the "professional applied" coatings and the over the counter ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coatings that require certification or licensing

I would try to negotiate a flat rent rate vs % split, unless they're paying for all materials, Ins/liability and training & certifications.

Otherwise, I would try to operate as independent contractor and rent space in their shop.

That's just my opinion... others may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Before I get flamed, I don't read much into the authorized detailer, etc. Ultimately, it's going to boil down to the person behind the machine doing the polishing, down to the parties installing the LSP..

For example, I know of one CQF authorized detailer who personally, you can't even pay me to go there. He uses old socks as applicators, even touted using Peanut Oil on trim to revive it.....his Yelp reviews reflect as such as well. Yet, this is a detailer who is CQF authorized....

This post is not to knock on CQ. Like alot of their products and many, and I mean many, are my mainstays...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    Before I get flamed, I don't read much into the authorized detailer, etc. Ultimately, it's going to boil down to the person behind the machine doing the polishing, down to the parties installing the LSP..

For example, I know of one CQF authorized detailer who personally, you can't even pay me to go there. He uses old socks as applicators, even touted using Peanut Oil on trim to revive it.....his Yelp reviews reflect as such as well. Yet, this is a detailer who is CQF authorized....

This post is not to knock on CQ. Like alot of their products and many, and I mean many, are my mainstays...
    Peanut oil?! Does that work? :P lol
    I have a car right now which has some bad trim, I was going to use some Solution Finish, but I may need to try some Olive Oil first!
    Raydiant Reflections Auto Detailing
    Website
    Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post

I agree completely, but this company fully intends on doing Ferraris and Lambos and the like from the sound of it. So every cert or warranty that can give the customer a warm and fuzzy is probably going to be done.

Post Thanks / Like

So I sent an application to Optimum and got a reply with an agreement form to fill out. It looks like more of a partnership/advertising agreement and not anything along the lines of being "certified" to apply their product. It just states the "dealership" must make sure the personnel are trained to apply it according to the directions. But it specifically mentions opti-coat as the product, not Opti Pro. It also mentions the warranty is the responsibility of the dealership, but Optimum would supply the product to complete the warranty work if needed. So I don't know if this is the same lines as being authorized to apply Opti Pro.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraDetailing View Post
    So I sent an application to Optimum and got a reply with an agreement form to fill out. It looks like more of a partnership/advertising agreement and not anything along the lines of being "certified" to apply their product. It just states the "dealership" must make sure the personnel are trained to apply it according to the directions. But it specifically mentions opti-coat as the product, not Opti Pro. It also mentions the warranty is the responsibility of the dealership, but Optimum would supply the product to complete the warranty work if needed. So I don't know if this is the same lines as being authorized to apply Opti Pro.
    The product is Opti-Coat Pro. If you would take some time to peruse the Opti-Coat website, you would see all the pro-only offerings, which include paint, fabric, leather, glass, and trim products, soon to be joined by a metal coating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast