autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need advice! New found problems in freshly corrected black paint, strange lines or cracking.

Hello all, I have a 10yr old Chrysler 300C with the brilliant black paint, it looks killer and really pops with the metallic in the paint HOWEVER I clay barred the roof then used the Wolfgang uber compound then finish glaze and sealant with my pc 7424xp kit recently purchased at Autogeek with the included Lake country pads, it did make a huge difference but also made these marks stand out a lot more! I saw some of them before correction but you can REALLY see them now (please see attached picture), I cannot feel them with my fingernail for the most part, a couple of them i can feel very slightly but for the most part you cannot feel them. I don't know if a glaze with feelers would work at all or if a high speed buffer would help or just to re-paint the roof. I cannot afford new paint so I am hoping for some sort of inexpensive fix. Please help thank you all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need advice! New found problems in freshly corrected black paint, strange lines or cracking.-p1080295-copy-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice! New found problems in freshly corrected black paint, strange lines or cracking.

I really hate to say it but it looks very much like clearcoat failure or burn through spots. I hope I'm wrong!

ETA: I didn't realize your question was directed towards Mike. Sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice! New found problems in freshly corrected black paint, strange lines or cracking.

They're called crows feet and they indicate clear coat failure. Nothing you can do about them other than pay someone to repaint it.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post
    They're called crows feet and they indicate clear coat failure. Nothing you can do about them other than pay someone to repaint it.
    Ditto.

Post Thanks / Like

Check with Chrysler, I think I read about a problem with those cars? It's worth a try?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post
    Well I appreciate the heads up, just bought the car 2 months ago so i certainly did not need this! I am wondering if it will spread and how fast. It's on the roof only at this point but it wasn't very noticeable until i did the correction last night. Does anyone know why? I am also wondering if I can safely detail the rest of the car for fear of these showing up elsewhere even though I do not see them on the rest of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjh65 View Post
    It's on the roof only at this point but it wasn't very noticeable until i did the correction last night. Does anyone know why?
    If you look closely at your clear, I'm sure you can see it is cracked in all those spots that you see (crows feet like stated above). Once those cracks get filled with compound, they stand out big time.

Post Thanks / Like

You've also made the area surrounding the crow's feet nice and smooth. So the lack of defects surrounding the crow's feet makes it seem more pronounced. They didn't happen when you were polishing. Those would have to have been already there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjh65 View Post
    Well I appreciate the heads up, just bought the car 2 months ago so i certainly did not need this! I am wondering if it will spread and how fast. It's on the roof only at this point but it wasn't very noticeable until i did the correction last night. Does anyone know why? I am also wondering if I can safely detail the rest of the car for fear of these showing up elsewhere even though I do not see them on the rest of the car.
    I'm not famliar with the history of the Q/C in this lineup of vehicles. Honda is notorious for having Clear Coat Failures. Could be the previous owners never protected the car thus exposing the paint to conditions that led to the clear failing.

You can safely correct the car but it's likely it could be showing on the hood and deck lid area. Sides don't get as direct of an exposure to cause it as readily. Doing nothing cerainly won't helps so you may as well correct it.

I've not had experience with it but perhaps wiping down the roof with something to remove the compound and polish from the cracks will lesson their visibility. From there you can always use a coating or WOWA product to avoid any buildup in the cracks from a traditional wax or sealant.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Mike Phillips

Looks like cracks or fractures in the clearcoat. My experience is this is common on the hood of cars especially Hondas.

The below...

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post

Once those cracks get filled with compound, they stand out big time.

And this

[QUOTE=DBAILEY;1434465]

So the lack of defects surrounding the crow's feet makes it seem more pronounced.

[quote]

I fully agree with the above. When you machine compounded and polished the paint you removed all the shallow defects surrounding these cracks which now make the cracks stand out like a sore thumb and this is made more dramatic because the cracks now have compound residue in them.

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post

They didn't happen when you were polishing. Those would have to have been already there.
    The above is also correct. Polishing did not create the cracks... it revealed them.

Sorry to say the only honest repair is to repaint. If it were me I'd continue polishing the paint because that will help the paint last longer (a smooth surface naturally lasts longer than a rough surface), and then keep the paint protected with a wax, sealant or coating.

Also just to comment...

My theory is the cracks are caused by a number of things starting with the actual paint. Something is wrong with the paint to start with because this doesn't happen to ALL paint, just some paint.

Next, the natural expansion and contraction when the car body panels get hot and cold with surrounding temperatures OVER TIME cause the cracks. That's just my theory.

As a body panel gets warm or hot the panel and thus the paint expands or stretches. Then as the temperatures go down the body panel contracts or shrinks and thus the paint does also. OVER TIME this expanding and then shrinking takes its toll on "SOME" paint. The result is as the saying goes.

Something has to give

In your car's case, the paint gave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast