autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Grit guard routine

In my last thread here, you guys talked me into using two buckets, and a chenille mitt, which I got and used this morning. Two washed cars later, I have another question.

I used my grit guard in the rinse bucket. I placed it in, and rubbed the sponge against the grit guard, and then rinsed it out, before I put the sponge into the soap bucket.

As I was doing this, I was wondering if I wasn't picking up some flecks of dirt that I was hoping to release, because when I was rubbing my sponge against the grit guard, the water was being agitated. I doubt that too many of those flecks actually made it down below the grit guard.

I looked in the AGO store, and saw one suggestion---to use two grit guards, one stacked on top of the other. Now that would increase the distance between the sponge and the dirt that has already settled on the bottom, but I don't see that has helping me with this issue of making sure the sponge doesn't pick up the flecks of dirt that have just been released. Or would it? Or should I get that perpendicular piece they sell, that goes vertical to the grit guard?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grit guard routine

You are probably correct about a small amount of very light dirt being agitated back onto your mitt or sponge when you rub against the Grit Guard of your rinse bucket. If you agitate your mitt against the Grit Guard in your soap bucket you will likely release that small amount of light residual dirt into the soap bucket.

The proof is in the bottom of your buckets when you empty them. Look at how much dirt and debris is in your rinse bucket as compared to how little is in your soap bucket. I have literally emptied my wash bucket and not seen any noticeable debris under the Grit Guard.

Post Thanks / Like

Why worry and fret over some dirt flecks...
    Get "The Washboard": it has calming effects.

Grit Guard Washboard

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    You are probably correct about a small amount of very light dirt being agitated back onto your mitt or sponge when you rub against the Grit Guard of your rinse bucket. If you agitate your mitt against the Grit Guard in your soap bucket you will likely release that small amount of light residual dirt into the soap bucket.

The proof is in the bottom of your buckets when you empty them. Look at how much dirt and debris is in your rinse bucket as compared to how little is in your soap bucket. I have literally emptied my wash bucket and not seen any noticeable debris under the Grit Guard.
    Good point, I did see only a very little amount of dirt in the soap bucket the two times that I drained it into the sink.

In fact, when I was pouring out the soap bucket just now, I was thinking that I could easily have washed another car with that same water. So I think I'll just put in a bit more water in both buckets, and then save on water when I wash my cars one right after the other.

But to recap, yeah the proof is in the pudding. Hardly any dirt in the soap bucket means the vast majority is in fact getting caught in the rinse bucket.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post
    Good point, I did see only a very little amount of dirt in the soap bucket the two times that I drained it into the sink.

In fact, when I was pouring out the soap bucket just now, I was thinking that I could easily have washed another car with that same water. So I think I'll just put in a bit more water in both buckets, and then save on water when I wash my cars one right after the other.

But to recap, yeah the proof is in the pudding. Hardly any dirt in the soap bucket means the vast majority is in fact getting caught in the rinse bucket.
    Good idea on keeping your soap water. If you keep your soap bucket water, you should invest in a Gamma Seal for your bucket.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    Good idea on keeping your soap water. If you keep your soap bucket water, you should invest in a Gamma Seal for your bucket.
    I usually keep my mitts inside of my sealed wash bucket for days even a week in between uses. The clean soapy water keeps them fresh and all I do the next time I use everything is dump out the soapy water and give give the mitts a quik rinse with the hose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I usually keep my mitts inside of my sealed wash bucket for days even a week in between uses. The clean soapy water keeps them fresh and all I do the next time I use everything is dump out the soapy water and give give the mitts a quik rinse with the hose.
    Now that is an interesting idea. I'd never have to dry out my wash mitt and hang it up in my bathroom. Something worth thinking about.

I wonder if putting a chenille sponge in water 24/7/365 would be bad for it or not. Probably the soapy water would be good---its hard to imagine mold or slime accumulating in that stuff.

I take it, eldorado, that you haven't noticed anything stinky in the mitt? I wash ever weekend (lately I've had to restrain myself from a mid-week car wash, as well), so it would get "rinsed out" every week.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that is an interesting idea. I'd never have to dry out my wash mitt and hang it up in my bathroom. Something worth thinking about.

I wonder if putting a chenille sponge in water 24/7/365 would be bad for it or not. Probably the soapy water would be good---its hard to imagine mold or slime accumulating in that stuff.

I take it, eldorado, that you haven't noticed anything stinky in the mitt? I wash ever weekend (lately I've had to restrain myself from a mid-week car wash, as well), so it would get "rinsed out" every week.
    Nope. When I open the lid it smells fresh and amazing [if I used Shampoo Plus on the last wash. 3D Pink simply smells like 3D Pink. Lol] I think I had read somewhere that soaking microfiber [I use microfiber mitts] isn't necessarily a good thing? But I'd have to disagree in the case with these mitts, because they're far better off ever since I've been leaving them in the soapy water instead of letting them dry and hang out somewhere collecting dust and even worse, you know how they can wind up on the floor and other dirty places by accident.

I've actually had 100% success rate with car wash suds staying fresh in a bucket for periods of time.
    But surprisingly, it's the rinseless bucket that I always have to watch out for getting funky after a while. Even with Gary Dean Method and nothing but clean towels + Gamma Seal Lid it will begin to smell funky after about a month or so.

Post Thanks / Like

You were just about to talk me into buying a gamma seal lid, when I looked in the store and saw that they didn't sell any individually. Interesting idea, but I don't want to pay $35 for a new bucket that I don't need, along with the lid. I'll probably improvise with something from my garage.

I just sent the AGO store an email to see if they could get one to me w/o the bucket. Maybe they don't like to do that, b/c they don't know what type of lip is on our own buckets?

Post Thanks / Like

You were just about to talk me into buying a gamma seal lid, when I looked in the store and saw that they didn't sell any individually. Interesting idea, but I don't want to pay $35 for a new bucket that I don't need, along with the lid. I'll probably improvise with something from my garage.

I just sent the AGO store an email to see if they could get one to me w/o the bucket. Maybe they don't like to do that, b/c they don't know what type of lip is on our own buckets?
    Dude, you don't even need a Gamma Seal Lid. I only have 1 Gamma Seal and it's on my rinseless bucket which has been empty for months... My 2 wash buckets are the 3 gallon ones that Meguiars gives out occasionally and they have simple lids on them. I don't even lock it air tight unless I'm taking it with me for a mobile detail and I've never had them leak. You can just go to Home Depot, they've got lids for like less than $5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast