autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Having trouble polishing out swirl marks - Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher + Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 1000

Hi, to start, this is not an auto project. Rather, I've been using automotive clear coat on wood surfaces for final finish. Process is:

1) HVLP spray clear coat (I've used a Nason product and something called TRUE clear)
    2) Sand to flat (meaning remove any wood grain, pores, or other non-flat features )
    3) Spray coat of same clear coat (mostly to ensure I don't sand through / burn through)
    4) Sand starting with 1500 up to 2000 (remove orange peel with 1500, just remove sanding marks with 2000)
    5) Apply Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 1000, polish using Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher at speed setting 6 most of the time
    6) Apply Menzerna FF 3000, polish using Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher (different foam pad!), speed setting 4-5

Final surface is beautiful in most lights, and has a nice "wet" look. Only when I put it under very bright LED light will I spot the circular swirlies, left by the orbital (my assumption is this is from step 5). I've tried many times now, and many different techniques, pressure levels, times at Max Speed, etc. but nothing really makes much difference. I've also tried different amounts of the HCC 1000, from a very light amount to almost a glaze (the latter splatters everywhere, I'm sure you all knew that would happen).

The surfaces I'm polishing are not very large - coffee table at most, and I'm happy to experiment as needed to make this perfect.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Having trouble polishing out swirl marks - Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher + Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 1000

The power behind the 3" GG may not be enough to remove the swirls. It's a rather lacking machine for correcting.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Having trouble polishing out swirl marks - Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher + Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 1000

Ah shoot - I was kinda wondering if that might be the issue. Any idea how best to test that idea? I guess a test of the same clear coat, same process, but a proven polisher would be good -- I just don't have any friends who do this kind of work, or else I'd be bugging them right now!

Any specific 3" tool that you'd recommend as reliable in this area?

Too bad if that's the case, given the "Remove Swirls" line in thier product headline, but maybe I'm not totally understanding.
    Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher, 3 Inch Polisher, 3 inch Dual Action Polisher, 3" buffer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
    Hi, to start, this is not an auto project. Rather, I've been using automotive clear coat on wood surfaces for final finish. Process is:

1) HVLP spray clear coat (I've used a Nason product and something called TRUE clear)
    2) Sand to flat (meaning remove any wood grain, pores, or other non-flat features )
    3) Spray coat of same clear coat (mostly to ensure I don't sand through / burn through)
    4) Sand starting with 1500 up to 2000 (remove orange peel with 1500, just remove sanding marks with 2000)
    5) Apply Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 1000, polish using Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher at speed setting 6 most of the time
    6) Apply Menzerna FF 3000, polish using Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher (different foam pad!), speed setting 4-5

Final surface is beautiful in most lights, and has a nice "wet" look. Only when I put it under very bright LED light will I spot the circular swirlies, left by the orbital (my assumption is this is from step 5). I've tried many times now, and many different techniques, pressure levels, times at Max Speed, etc. but nothing really makes much difference. I've also tried different amounts of the HCC 1000, from a very light amount to almost a glaze (the latter splatters everywhere, I'm sure you all knew that would happen).

The surfaces I'm polishing are not very large - coffee table at most, and I'm happy to experiment as needed to make this perfect.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
    As mentioned, the 3" lacks power. Get a Griot 6" and a 3.5" backing plate. Now you can run 6" pads on larger surfaces and 4" pads on smaller areas.
    I prefer Menzerna polishes, but if on a budget, Meg's Ultimate Compound and Polish will do.
    Slow arm movement (1" per second) with 15lbs. of pressure is the key to getting outstanding results.

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey OP,

What pads are you using with the machine? The Griots 3" machine definitely lacks power compare to other smaller machines. However; check out this article that Mike Phillips wrote about some new pads that make that machine a bit better:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...foam-pads.html

Since you are using a 3" setup, I am assuming you're not working on a huge surface. My recommendation would possible be a rotary with 3" setup for cutting and then finishing with your current machine.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
    Ah shoot - I was kinda wondering if that might be the issue. Any idea how best to test that idea? I guess a test of the same clear coat, same process, but a proven polisher would be good -- I just don't have any friends who do this kind of work, or else I'd be bugging them right now!

Any specific 3" tool that you'd recommend as reliable in this area?If your willing to spend the bucks (3+bills), get the Rupes Mini Polisher.

Too bad if that's the case, given the "Remove Swirls" line in thier product headline, but maybe I'm not totally understanding.
    Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher, 3 Inch Polisher, 3 inch Dual Action Polisher, 3" buffer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again:

-- I'll look to see if I can borrow a 6" from somewhere, and test against my setup. If it "just works," then I'll switch machines (a bit disappointing, as I'm not sure what the GG is for, exactly, then, but OK)

BUT... hope I don't seem like I'm ignoring these tips...

I'd like to try those thinner foam pads, based on that article you linked. I've only used the thick ones that came with the GG 3".

To clarify, should I use the ORANGE pad with the HCC 1000, then WHITE with FF 3000?

Thanks again you all!

EDIT: I just went ahead and ordered a six-pack of those thin-pro pads - 1 grey, 2 orange, and 3 white. We'll see - happy to report results if folks care!

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely the polisher, pretty useless really. I actually use Metabo rotary right angle grinder on slowest speed with 1" or 2" pads. Does pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

GG=Griot Garage

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just some updates if anyone cares to follow:
    I tried again tonight with the Griot's Garage 3" and Menzerna HCC 1000. Sanded only up to 1500, but I kept all sanding marks in one direction (in the wood-grain direction) just to be certain that the swirls were NOT sanding marks.

Result #1:
    Having trouble polishing out swirl marks - Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher  + Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 1000-img_0419-jpg

Result #2:
    Having trouble polishing out swirl marks - Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher  + Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 1000-img_0373-jpg

... bad...

Someone recommended trying a 3" foam pad (ones that came with the GG) on just a regular cordless drill, set to fast-speed. That worked maybe a bit better, but actually not 100%. Pics are after a pass of Menzerna FF3000, just to be fair:

Having trouble polishing out swirl marks - Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher  + Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 1000-img_0420-jpg

and:
    Having trouble polishing out swirl marks - Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher  + Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 1000-img_0421-jpg

Frustrating part is that it looks pretty good in "normal" light. The swirls really just shine when under really bright LEDS:

Having trouble polishing out swirl marks - Griots Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher  + Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 1000-img_0413-jpg

Anyway, is there anything else I should try? Is there a different combination of compounds that might be more compatible with this tool?

...Or should I just accept the disappointment that the GG tool is not actually going to do what it's advertised it's capable of?

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast