autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Salt covered car

Hello,
    My girlfriends car is a 2005 Nissan Maxima. Color Silver. She parks it outside about a quarter mile from the beach in Melbourne Beach Fl. The entire top of the car is covered with a pretty hefty layer of salt spray. Have had limited success removing it. Do you have any sugestions.
    Thank You
    Garry

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Salt covered car

Salt spray is stubborn.I detail cars right on the water some times and get that residue.If you wipe it down it will come right back.keep a nice coat of wax like a product called collinite 845. Apply it thin and it wouldn't hurt to do the door jambs and wheels.Keep the engine compartment dressed with a water based dressing,anything would help living by the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with GSKR, or you could look at Collinite 476 Super Double Wax:

Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax #476 is a paste wax that behaves like a paint sealant. One application provides up to a year of protection through any and all weather conditions. It provides a clear barrier against rain, salt, pollution, bugs, the sun, and all the typical road grime
    Collinite Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax #476

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Salt spray is stubborn.I detail cars right on the water some times and get that residue.If you wipe it down it will come right back.keep a nice coat of wax like a product called collinite 845. Apply it thin and it wouldn't hurt to do the door jambs and wheels.Keep the engine compartment dressed with a water based dressing,anything would help living by the ocean.
    When I lived in Hawaii I used a similar approach, but with Klasse SG. Either product, or many others sold here, will work well.

Wouldn't you say frequent washings help too? I found the longer the salt sat on the car, regardless of protected product, the harder it was to clean up. I was constantly washing our cars to keep them from getting crusty.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me the OP is asking how to get off the deposits that are already on there, rather than how to protect from getting them in the first place. Unless I'm misunderstanding.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm aware of a product that was created specifically to remove salt from vehicles (something we have to deal with here in the Midwest for many months during winter). It's sprayed on the car as a pre-wash treatment and emulsifies the salt, allowing you to then wash the car without marring the paint. It also claims to not remove your wax in the process. It's not sold here so I will refrain from discussing it but a simple google search should allow you to find it. FYI - I purchased it at the end of winter but never used it so I can't confirm it's effectiveness. But it may be exactly what you are looking for and worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boomdone View Post
    I'm aware of a product that was created specifically to remove salt from vehicles (something we have to deal with here in the Midwest for many months during winter). It's sprayed on the car as a pre-wash treatment and emulsifies the salt, allowing you to then wash the car without marring the paint. It also claims to not remove your wax in the process. It's not sold here so I will refrain from discussing it but a simple google search should allow you to find it. FYI - I purchased it at the end of winter but never used it so I can't confirm it's effectiveness. But it may be exactly what you are looking for and worth a try.
    Oh yeah, I think someone mentioned that product and another one previously here on the forum. I almost bought some for a post-season underbody wash, but I didn't.

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, like for the salt to become "emulsified".
    That's one sure-fire way,
    I can easily wash the SALT-AWAY.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Sea salt should be coming from mist or dew do to proximinity to the ocean. What the swimmers do is rinse in plain water (see the shower heads all over in Daytona and Ft. Lauderdale). Water rinse should do the trick but I would do it in the early am before sun has chance to "bake it in". A regular waxing routine will give the sacrificial barrier needed to keep the salt from coming in contact with the clearcoat. I live in Canada and if you want to see salt crud on a car, come up some winter. We salt everything and because it's 20 below zero the water rinse just freezes on the car. I use Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine during the winter in semi-heated garage and that seems to work if I do a double application.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I started using Salt-away last year as a pre-rinse before the D114 rinseless wash during salt season in WI. Good stuff.
    It was recommended by Dapper Don who used it on his boats...I think he is in Florida