autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Flat Blue or Flat Black or Flat Crimson Hydro Tech Pad

Hello,

Questions is should I use a Flat Blue or Black Flat Pad or Crimson Hydro Tech Crimson pad?

Here's what I'm doing.

2017 Audi with Glacier White paint.

Coming right from factory (not sitting on a lot), so the paint "should" be in good condition.

Going to give it a good wash and clay.

Then going to apply this finishing polish/primer because it's the hardening agent for the paint coating I'm putting on.
    Polishangel Invincible
    POLISH ANGEL ® | GLASSCOAT | INVINCIBLE PRIMER ? POLISHANGEL® CANADA

This is the one I'm not sure which pad to use.
    Blue or Black Flat Pad or Crimson Hydro Tech Crimson pad?
    Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Foam Pads, buffing pads, Lake Country curved edge pads, polishing pads
    Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads 3 Pack - Your Choice!

Then going to put on 3 coats of this paint coating:
    Polishangel Cosmic
    POLISHANGEL® | GLASSCOAT | COSMIC | MULTI COLOUR ADAPTION ? POLISHANGEL® CANADA
    Going to use the Crimson Hydro Tech for this one.

I'm thinking I should use Crimson with the Invincible since they call it a finishing polish, but just want to make sure.
    I have a Porter Cable 7424XP and will be getting a 5" Lake Country backing pad.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flat Blue or Flat Black or Flat Crimson Hydro Tech Pad

In the event the paint is not in good condition, maybe consider the Tangerine Hydrotech. Cut is just under the orange, and finishes like a black pad.

Of the three you mentioned, I'd go with the Crimson Hydrotech. It offers the most rigity of the pads you listed, but is still very soft and smooth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neocoma View Post
    Hello,

Questions is should I use a Flat Blue or Black Flat Pad or Crimson Hydro Tech Crimson pad?

Here's what I'm doing.

2017 Audi with Glacier White paint.

Coming right from factory (not sitting on a lot), so the paint "should" be in good condition.

Going to give it a good wash and clay.

Then going to apply this finishing polish/primer because it's the hardening agent for the paint coating I'm putting on.
    Polishangel Invincible
    POLISH ANGEL ® | GLASSCOAT | INVINCIBLE PRIMER ? POLISHANGEL® CANADA

This is the one I'm not sure which pad to use.
    Blue or Black Flat Pad or Crimson Hydro Tech Crimson pad?
    Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Foam Pads, buffing pads, Lake Country curved edge pads, polishing pads
    Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads 3 Pack - Your Choice!

Then going to put on 3 coats of this paint coating:
    Polishangel Cosmic
    POLISHANGEL® | GLASSCOAT | COSMIC | MULTI COLOUR ADAPTION ? POLISHANGEL® CANADA
    Going to use the Crimson Hydro Tech for this one.

I'm thinking I should use Crimson with the Invincible since they call it a finishing polish, but just want to make sure.
    I have a Porter Cable 7424XP and will be getting a 5" Lake Country backing pad.

Thanks!
    customsporty will answer that for you,he is a product user and he will know,hopefully he will chime in today to help you.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course there are no 'rules' when it comes to clear coat hardness, but I've worked on a lot of Audi's and most of them are 'hard paint'.

If the paint is really in excellent shape and you may be able to get away with a finishing polish and crimson pad to do a bit of a clean up, but I'd suspect you may need to step it up to the tangerine pad, which is more of a polishing pad, given the hardness of the paint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I don't mind getting a Tangerine pad for the finishing polish (and then a crimson for the paint coating).

So my question would be "if' the paint is in perfect condition when I get it. Will using a Tangerine (instead of a Crimson) have any negative effects on my paint.
    Or will it just be an advantage "encase" there's any minor defects it will take care of it.

I should also mention that the PolishAngel finishing polish/primer is a DAT style. Again, again not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

The only way you will know for sure which type of pad will deliver the results you want, is by conducting some test spots - that is to take the LEAST aggressive combination of pad + polish and see what the results are. If they are up to your satisfaction, you don't need to go any more aggressive and can proceed to the protection part of the detail.

If there are still defects in the paint you want removed after your initial test spot, then increase the aggressiveness of your combo (generally you would first increase the pad aggressiveness before moving to a more aggressive polish) and conduct another test spot. Repeat your test spots until you dial in a combo that removes enough of the defects.

Let's assume for example that you had to step up to say a medium cut polish for the 'correction' work.... this may have left some hazing in the paint (remember the initial cut is effectively 'sanding' off the paint, and will leave its own fine 'scratch pattern' in the paint) and you could then switch back to your LEAST aggressive combo, and polish over your corrected test spot, to remove the hazing and maximize clarity.

How aggressive you need to get will depend on the paint hardness and depth of the defects therein. Whether or not you need to follow up with a second 'refining' polish afterward will be dependent on how aggressive you had to get in the first step.

Hope that makes sense and helps a bit

Edited to add:

Your test spot will only be on one section, and once you have 'dialed in' your combo, only then proceed to replicate this over the rest of the car. Don't go polishing the whole car with a combo you *think* will work, only to find out it didn't and you need to re-polish again.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool. Thanks for the advice!