autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New tires - when can I dress them?

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    This is just an observation-- I put new tires on in January and have been using DG tire and rubber dressing once a month, always after a wash. I always use a brush on the tires when washing and have never noticed anything unusual, but I haven't really been paying attention either.

I've been wondering about this "out gassing" since I bought the tires. So last night I noticed a spot on one of the tires and went with a paper towel to just wipe the spot off--- and the towel was JET BLACK. So I went around and did the rest of the tires. With just the slightest pressure, every pass was jet black. I mean it was seriously like wiping up a mix of charcoal and India ink. And it just kept coming and coming. Probably a mixture of tire dressing and road grime. If you see a brown film while washing it's called blooming.

I'm not concerned or anything. Tires look totally normal. Just an observation- and proof that SOMETHING is still coming out of the tires (Michelins) after 5 months. As easy as it comes off, the DG certainly isn't "locking" it in. I don't think. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the replies...for now, I think I'll just keep them clean

Post Thanks / Like

"Bump" to an older thread. Just got new Goodyear tires on my wife's car and will be coating them with eiither McKee's 37 tire coating or Tuf Shine tire clearcoat. Should I wait or can I clean/coat them immediately? From the previous posts, it appears as if we have two distinct approaches for this, thus the confusion. Spent $600+ on a set of four so don't want to muck it up. Thx in advance!

David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    "Bump" to an older thread. Just got new Goodyear tires on my wife's car and will be coating them with eiither McKee's 37 tire coating or Tuf Shine tire clearcoat. Should I wait or can I clean/coat them immediately? From the previous posts, it appears as if we have two distinct approaches for this, thus the confusion. Spent $600+ on a set of four so don't want to muck it up. Thx in advance!

David
    Tires are about a month old. Cleaned (3 times) and dressed them with a water based dressing the day I got them.

New tires - when can I dress them?-img_1695-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZpolisher15 View Post
    DG 253: Duragloss Tire & Rubber Mat Dressing (TMD) #253
    It's really nice stuff.
    Is the DG water based?

Post Thanks / Like

New tires - when can I dress them?

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Tires are about a month old. Cleaned (3 times) and dressed them with a water based dressing the day I got them.

New tires - when can I dress them?-img_1695-jpg
    Dressing and coating are 2 very different things.. Coating the tires is a much bigger production and something you almost can’t afford to screw up.

@david b. I’d recommend scrubbing your new tires with normL tire cleaner 1st, then proceed to the Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner if you have it, if you don’t then continue scrubbing the tires until you can see that they’re bare. You can tell by looking at them once they’re dry. A bare tire can be either black or slightly brown [the browning is insignificant because it’s not dirt] but the important thing is that they’re Dry to the touch and no longer expelling dirt or small black particles which is common with brand new tires. Any kind of slickness to the touch on the tire means it’s not ready yet. You want to coat over a completely dry feeling, bare tire.

Here’s a tire that’s almost clean enough to begin coating.. I circled the areas that still need more scrubbing until all remaining stuff is completely cleaned off. Once the tire is completely uniform and dry you’ll know it’s ready.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    "Bump" to an older thread.
    Just got new Goodyear tires on my
    wife's car and will be coating them
    with eiither McKee's 37 tire coating
    or Tuf Shine tire clearcoat.

From the previous posts, it appears as if
    we have two distinct approaches for this,
    thus the confusion. Spent $600+ on a set
    of four so don't want to muck it up.

Should I wait or
    can I clean/coat them immediately?
    IMO:
    Unless the tires’ manufacturers, themselves,
    advises otherwise...I wouldn’t wait.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

8. Dislikes Eldorado2k disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and used McKee's 37 Tire&Rubber Rejuvenator - scrub, scrub, scrub - then applied two coats of Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat. Should have applied more but it was getting late. Sorry, no pics.

By the way, Mike Phillips used this same Tuf Shine product on the '62 Scooby van we detailed at least year's Two-Day Roadshow event at Lake Country Mfg. Here's the thread

Pictures and Comments from the Wisconsin Roadshow Class - 2017

I believe he did 5 coats and used the Metro Vac Sidekick between applications. Those tires looked awesome and my wife's do too

David

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123