autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating

1. I am going to apply this to a brand new (17) vehicle-has this been proven not have any long term detrimental affects?

2. If I aplly this to a car that already has a paint sealant-will it work, or do I wash the car with Dawn to remove the sealant?

3. Think I could apply this product to my rural mailbox-to make it look better, and keep it from fading?

Thanks,
    Mike Liptrap

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    1. I am going to apply this to a brand new (17) vehicle-has this been proven not have any long term detrimental affects?

Thanks,
    Mike Liptrap
    I don't think anyone has complained that it ate the paint off their car. I could be wrong though.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't heard anyone complain about it. It gets good reviews. It's still fairly new.

2. If I aplly this to a car that already has a paint sealant-will it work, or do I wash the car with Dawn to remove the sealant?
    You want to remove that sealant to allow the coating to bond to the paint and not on top of the sealant. That will hinder it's performance. No need to wash with Dawn. Save that for the dishes. Use a quality car wash.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't use dawn! Best stuff I ever used is CG citrus red or CG clean slate. It strips old wax and sealant with ease without any harm full side effects.

Post Thanks / Like

I would use a fine polish or cleaner polish to remove the old paint sealant. Soaps, even Dawn won't remove it fully, especially it was recently applied and I wouldn't want to risk coating failure due to improper prep, which is the most important part of any coating.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

3. Think I could apply this product to my rural mailbox-to make it look better, and keep it from fading?

Thanks,
    Mike Liptrap
    1. There is no detrimental effects that I am aware of. Its not an acid and wont eat he paint alive.

2. It will not work. If the vehicle has a sealant on it already you will need some mechanical action to fully remove the sealant. A polish or coating prep polish will suffice.

3. I don't see why not. Treat it the same as the paint on the car.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to add something. Uber coating is a permanent coating. Therefore, the paint needs to be basically perfect before application. If it has swirls or scratches (which even new cars do) they will get sealed under the coating (meaning they will always be there). It is highly advisable at a minimum to decontaminate the paint, and polish. However, even polishing oils or residue need to be removed prior to applying a coating. Therefore, after polishing, use a dedicated paint prep product (Wolfgang makes one). If polishing and paint cleaning is not something you are prepared to do, then skip applying a coating until you are.

Post Thanks / Like

what does everyone think of these coatings? ive only recently become aware of the PBMG brands of coatings. how do they compare to cquartz, and CP? are there really differences between the brands?

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to add something. Uber coating is a permanent coating. Therefore, the paint needs to be basically perfect before application. If it has swirls or scratches (which even new cars do) they will get sealed under the coating (meaning they will always be there). It is highly advisable at a minimum to decontaminate the paint, and polish. However, even polishing oils or residue need to be removed prior to applying a coating. Therefore, after polishing, use a dedicated paint prep product (Wolfgang makes one). If polishing and paint cleaning is not something you are prepared to do, then skip applying a coating until you are.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating on my 09 Jeep SRT8. At first, I was skeptical as it was my first coating so I just did the hood and compared it to 5-6 other LSP over the course of the winter. Long story short the coating did have some downsides but it was the only clear winner in the Winter LSP Faceoff.

Just recently I polished my whole car and topped with two coats of Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating I liked it so much.

Pros:
    Easy to apply
    Lasts just like other coatings
    Water beads and sheets better than other coatings I tried
    Sealant shine and reflectivity (as good as the best sealant I own)
    Great flake pop and depth (2nd to my best wax)
    Silky smooth when clean
    Iron and Tar did not adhere to the surface (comes off during wash, no need for clay or solvents)

Cons:
    Gets clogged or dirty fairly quickly and takes an aggressive wash to restore full coating properties
    Is not slick when clogged or dirty (more so than a sealant, about the same as dust on waxed paint)
    Expensive
    Not much product (I was only able to coat the hood 3 times and the entire car twice, except the roof which is topped with essence+reload)
    Less than ideal applicator and provided towel linted (very slightly but still its a coating you don't want lint)

I'll be updating my review this weekend ...

Review:
    Review: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating

LSP Winter Faceoff:
    Autopia Forum - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum